how much boost on pump gas safely????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
how much boost on pump gas safely?????

im buying a 5.0 in the near future. I 'm goin to start off with a new 302 ford sportsman block. All forged internals, with a 8.0-8.5-1 compression ratio. I'm lookin into the cartech ss setup, its tt setup, or the HP turbo setup. With 165 AFR heads, trickflow intake, and custom turbo cam.

I would like to know how much boost i can run on pump gas "93"??? Also how much boost will i need to get 500+ whp,wtq?????

thanks

eric

90 Notch Light crystal Blue/Black interior: Gt-40 Ironheads,gt-40 Intake,cam, 1.72 fms roller rockers, 24 LB injectors, accufab 65mm TB,Pro-M Bullet 75mm mass air,3 row/core heavy duty radiator, Ramcharger dual 11" electric fan set up,180 tstat,BBK Long tubes, O/R H, Flowmasters, Pro 5.0 shifter, 5 LUG disc's 13" cobra front and 12.5 "baer rear, 31 spline axles, auburn posi,aluminum driveshaft, 4:10's,Hotchkis rear lower control, steeda uppers,Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, subframes
277 RWHP,308WHTQ
Best time [email protected] 2.2 60ft
Best mph [email protected] 2.4 60ft

daily car:92 corolla

Sold: 01 GT Mineral Grey 5 spd [email protected] 100.35 W/ 2.232 60ft with exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2003, 09:42 PM

subscribing since i'm thinking of doing a similar setup.

Coupe, Legacy
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 02:04 PM

on a safe tune, with IC, about 10 psi. go to www.turbomustangs.com/forums and look around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)
800+ HP on pump gass, ask Dean

'79 Bronco 351M || '87 Mustang Coupe 351W Turbo || '88 Mustang LX 5.0 || '97 Firebird 383 || '05 Civic Hybrid || '07 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L Cummins 4x4 || '16 Wrangler JKU Backcountry || '16 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans
That is why it's ok to have scrambled eggs for breakfast but you can't push some bimbo from a one night stand down the stairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 01:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
you can easily run 12 - 15 psi depending on the quality of gas in your area. Completely safely.

long as your runing 8.5-1 and a aluminum headed engine.

if you have good heads.. 500 horses can easily be surpased with only 8 psi boost on a 8.5-1 motor anyway so you wont need to run to much boost.

I made 606 rear wheel horses and 676 rear wheel torque at 10 psi on my car.. granted i have a 347 but you would still be well into the mid 500's and around 500 torque with a 302 and similar setup at 10 psi.

All these people claiming it can't be done..
I say look at any import.. how many imports all run in the 14 - 15 psi rang from the factory .. with 8.5-1 compresion..

its not magic.. its simple physics.

the dodge stealth the 300zx the toyota supra the mitsubishi eclips and lancer evo amost all porches and the list goes on..

all of these cars if you check any board that cators to them can be run at 14-15 psi with no issues on pump gas.

at 8.5-1 and with 93 octane gass 15 psi is safe as long as you pay atention when building your motor, and tune it correctly
Just make sure you have decent quench and make sure you have a engine setup properly for the boost.

OF course I could be wrong, right but theres thousands of people runing over 14 psi on pump gass in import cars all over the world who would argue the point .

Considering even the factory manufactures consider 14 psi safe on premium unleaded gass in a sub 8.5-1 motor .. i would think that would suport my side as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 04:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen
you can easily run 12 - 15 psi depending on the quality of gas in your area. Completely safely.

long as your runing 8.5-1 and a aluminum headed engine.

if you have good heads.. 500 horses can easily be surpased with only 8 psi boost on a 8.5-1 motor anyway so you wont need to run to much boost.

How can you make hp claims in relation to boost? I dont want to start a war but...

The output of an Otto cycle engine is directly related to MASS FLOW, not boost. Mass flow=pressure*volumetric flow. Volumetric flow = area*velocity.

In order to state how much boost is required to make "this much" HP you need to know a number of things. Adibatic efficiency of the compressor, intercooler efficiency, etc. It doesn't matter how good your heads flow, if the mass flow in is not increased you will not make any more hp.

If the mass flow rating on my turbo is only 550 kg/hr @8psi of boost and a given engine requires a mass flow of 800kg/hr to make 500hp, you will not make 500hp with 8psi with THAT turbo.

If the same turbo moves 800kg/hr @12psi of boost then 500hp is attainable at 12psi and no less.

Make sense? Im not trying to be a jerk, i just dont like the hp per psi of boost relationship people talk about. Boost is a measurment of RESISTANCE to flow, not flow. Mass flow holds air quality and quantity into account.

Lemme know if i missed anything, i typed this while doing my thermodynamics homework...

Shaun

393"/twin T70/full accessory/billet ITB intake/stock hood/alum. 3.5" exhaust

Shaunthony's: you're gonna want to wear a cup
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen
Considering even the factory manufactures consider 14 psi safe on premium unleaded gass in a sub 8.5-1 motor .. i would think that would suport my side as well.
Head design, bore size, and combustion chamber design also have a lot to do with the amount of pressure a cylinder can handle without detonation.

These are vastly different between different engines. It isn't just compression ratio that figures into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement