How possible is a turbo vs supercharger shootout? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
How possible is a turbo vs supercharger shootout?

I'm wondering why there hasn't been an advertised Turbo vs supercharger mustang shootout. And rather than have it fastest takes all. I'm thinking more like, on average, what's faster? The average turbo mustang? The average supercharged mustang?

Here's what I'm thinking....

If you could get 30 or so cars of each power adder to register, then hold a drawing, pick 16 cars randomly from each power adder. This would give you a 32 car field of your average turbo/supercharged cars, all street legal. Not as far as functional a/c and ps. But just a road worthy legal mustang. Maybe a 30 mile road test first. And hoods closed during competition for reliability tests. You could go more cars too, depending on how many wanted to participate. It would be cool to see 100 supercharged/turbo mustangs compete.

You could run it then to decide first, who's car is fastest/quickest overall. Then maybe top 5 fastest/quickest. Then average times from each field and come up with which group holds the the title. Then maybe after that, some of these turbo vs supercharger debates could hold some facts as to what makes more power, and what's the best adder for the average mustang.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? How possible would this be?

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
For the longest time there has been debates over what is the strongest? What's the most reliable? What makes the most power? My supercharged car can kick your turbo cars a$$ and vice versa... and on and on.

Supercharged guys say they don't suffer any power loss from belts and they're power bands gets them down the track faster, turbo guys say back pressure isn't an issue, and there's no lag to speak of.....Let's all get together and f***ing prove it.

Much like the mustang vs Grand national that's been a huge event. They're completely different cars with completely different power trains. 5.0 V8 in a light mustang vs a little 6 cyl with a turbo in a family car... Is what the mustang guys say. The Buick guys just say "turbos rule!" But, they still argue over what's faster. Yearly they still hold shootouts... Mustang vs GN...

A no excuses shootout... Fastest average, fastest top 5, quickest average, quickest top 5, and an overall winner with the baddest power adder.

All street cars.

You could go with any car, race only or whatever, but in the end the winner wouldn't be the one with the baddest power adder, it would be the one with the most money.

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2003, 02:38 PM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
What are the NMRA rules saying about turbos? Did they ban them?

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2003, 09:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I don't think it's any mystery that turbos make more HP per pound of boost, because the blower really does take/rob power being crank driven. My understanding is on a combination like mine, can be well over 100 HP parasitic drag.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-2003, 12:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Blown347hatch
I don't think it's any mystery that turbos make more HP per pound of boost, because the blower really does take/rob power being crank driven.
Geez, I tell this same thing to some unknowing blower guys and they freak out on me........you catch this same thread over in the supercharger section?

Amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement