What is one of the best Turbo Kits out there in your opinion - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 02-25-2003, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is one of the best Turbo Kits out there in your opinion

I was leaning towards an S trim, but it looks to me that a or 2 turbos will be better and there sound is something else. Never heard what a turbo sounded like on a mustang. Well anyways I have a 93 LX with pretty much stock everything except ported cobra intake and exhaust and gears.
What I was wanting to know was what would be the best street/strip package that I could buy. Also which would be better for the street too since it will be my daily driver, ie either single or tt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-25-2003, 09:35 PM

TTI

THE best is Turbo Technology IMHO.

Single turbo would be easiest and you'll have to do the least amount of custom fabrication. Most single kits have enough header and downpipe to cover you up to 700-900hp.
If that's not enough, then look into a twin. I am currently contemplating going to a twin setup, but the single kits work GREAT.

Hey, wouldn't you know it, I have a TTI race kit for sale. E-mail me for pics and info.

MJB
[email protected]

post #3 of 53 Old 02-25-2003, 10:28 PM

you could also go w/ a cartech kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 05:16 AM

the pro turbo kit is the class of the turbo kits.
i'm not just saying that because i sell them, i have owned and installed 2 cartech systems and they worked great (also installed 3 others for customers) as did the turbo technology kits that i have installed for customers the TDC kit was ok but the Pro Turbo kit rocks. i am getting ready to order mine next week after getting one for a customer.

hope this helps
post #5 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the input. Now the thing is my 93 LX is stock bottom end and has 73k miles on it. ALso it is my daily driver and I would like to get around 550 rwhp also along with the turbo kit I plan on getting all the other engine componets that are needed and I have TW heads that are slightly ported.
I was looking on the cartech kits and I kinda like the pricing on the ITS kit, so I might go with that and it is twin turbo which I keep hearing over and over that the tt kit is better for a street car.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blow_Me93

I was looking on the cartech kits and I kinda like the pricing on the ITS kit, so I might go with that and it is twin turbo which I keep hearing over and over that the tt kit is better for a street car.
A TT kit for the street is overkill, but sure nice to have. A good single kit is more than plenty for what you need and can do 200 HP more should you want it.

The complexity of the TT kit is what would deter me, too many pipes and the placement of the turbos on the existing TT kits is to be desired. I haven't seen a TT kit overcome burning of the plug wires or something other either. That's their huge disadvantage in a street car application. Either that or they forsake A/C or power steering or something else. Not my definition of a street car.

I have run the Cartech SS kit on my car for 3 yrs now.......it is IMO the best single kit there is. Maintenance is easy, it has never given any problems, and is a time proven single turbo kit. I bet it's the original single kit for the 5.0L. I cannot say enough about this kit and it's the least expensive of all of them out there too. I researched buying a single kit and the Cartech SS kit was the most accurately designed kit there was. Heck, this kit was designed by a turbo guru!!
post #7 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Casturbo
Hvae you dynoed your car at all because I was just wondering if you did could you post your number, it makes a lot of sense about what you are saying about maitanence and the other things. Does it still give you the kick in the ass that they say the TT setup gives
post #8 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 07:22 AM

HP

I dynoed my street car, and here is the setup - TOTALLY stock motor. Stock heads, stock cam, stock rockers, stock pistons, stock crank, stock rods. NEVER been apart - Yes, the heads have been on the car since 1988 when it was assembled by someone at Ford. The motor probably has 90,000 miles on it (Bought it used, the kid changed the gears, but never changed the speedo gear)

And a Turbo Technology Kit with a T04b (The BABY of all V-8 Turbos).

At 15psi on pump gas it made 471 Hp, 537lb Tq.

And I've probably put 10,000 miles on the turbo with no problems. After all, it is my daily driver.

MJB
post #9 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mike, does it give you a kick in the ass when you get on it and also is there any lag tha tyou feel at all for it to spool up
post #10 of 53 Old 02-26-2003, 04:18 PM

Lag!???!? What's that?

Lag is a total misconception in today's turbo world. Unless you're driving a thumper around town, or have a 1.16 AR exhaust housing, you're not going to feel any 'lag'.

I run a .69 AR on my street car, and it comes on HARD and FAST. NO, NO, NO lag. If you're going from a blower to a turbo, then you better wear a diaper the first time out with the turbo setup because you will wet your pants.

No more waiting until 5500rpm to get 10 psi of boost. You will make as much boost as you want by 3000 rpm, and hold it steady until you back out of the throttle.

MJB

post #11 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 12:07 PM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
What's the cost of the Turbo Technology kit?

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
post #12 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 03:00 PM

But the TTI Race kit makes you delete all of your accessories.

I think some of you need to understand that a twin turbo set up uses two smaller turbos and can actually be easier to install due to LESS piping (Hot parts). That's a whole other arguement that shouldn't bestarted here.

I would like to hear from people who are happy wtih a street kit that retains all of the accessories.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V, LS6/6-speed, all stock.
post #13 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 04:20 PM

my TTI kit had no lag. it spooled up at 2200 w/ a 60-1hifi and a .96 housing and p-trim turbine. that was w/ 2 chamber flowmasters.
post #14 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KCCobra
But the TTI Race kit makes you delete all of your accessories.
This is not true. With the TTI Race kit you can run PS or AC (As well as the alternator). Most people choose the run the PS (as I do on both of my cars that have the TTI race kit), but I have seen one setup where the owner eliminated the PS and kept the AC.

Also with the TTI Race kit you can still run the stock waterpump and rad fan. No need for electric fan or pump like on some other setups.

As far as twins having less hot piping, I would have to say No that that also. You still have two headers, but now you have two downpipes, and two wastegates with dump tubes, as well as two cast iron exhaust housings So if you were measuring surface area of hot parts on a twin compared to a single, I would still say that the twin kit has more hot part surface area.

MJB
post #15 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P63
What's the cost of the Turbo Technology kit?
The TTI kit is about $4500 new with the 60-1 Hi-Fi.

But hey, since you are asking. I am selling my TTI Race kit. Check the classifieds for all the info, but here's the basic run down.

TTI Race kit, T-72 Ceramic Ball Bearing Q-trim, All Jet Hot coated hot parts, Intercooler and ll piping, Includes Kooks custom H-pipe, and 2.5" cat back. Basically COMPLETE from the front to the back of the car. Everything for $4,600. You cannot duplicate this for under $7,500.

Selling because I am getting a TTI Twin race kit.

MJB
post #16 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mike did you end up selling that one kit
post #17 of 53 Old 03-03-2003, 04:51 PM

As of now it's still available. E-mail me for any futher info.

[email protected]

MJB
post #18 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blow_Me93
Casturbo
Have you dynoed your car at all because I was just wondering if you did could you post your number, it makes a lot of sense about what you are saying about maitanence and the other things. Does it still give you the kick in the ass that they say the TT setup gives
I have no dyno numbers with my single turbo kit and I don't have any experience with a twin turbo kit as it pertains to the low end kick in the ass. But what I do know is anymore low end kick would be a huge challenge to harness traction related, since the single turbo kits all produce gobs of low end boost already. To me, a good single kit is like driving a big block engined car, ya know those monster motors back in the 60's and '70's with no emissions crap?

I really like the Cartech SS kit for the Fox bodied Mustangs. I own that kit and it works flawlessly. This kit is available in a group purchase now too, making this kit even less money than all the other established single turbo kits already. Not to sound like a spokesman for the Cartech SS kit, but its qualities do speak for themselves. This kit does not require losing the PS or the A/C yet provides a larger turbo upgrade to I think a T76 (800 HP?). It uses a vertical mount IC, which are much less prone to damage when the car is used day in day out on the street (curbs, road debris, dead 'coon!!, whatever). Maintenance is not tough at all either, plug changes are an hour with common tools bought at Sears or Autozone. I have never burned a plug wire in 3 yrs of owning this kit either. Nothing has burned or overheated surrounding the turbo either, since Cartech supplies a reflective heat mat to place under the turbo to protect all adjacent wiring and such. The wastegate is mounted up high and easily accessible. Adjusting boost is sooooo easy. The kit uses a 3" mandrel bent downpipe that all GN owners I know of drool over.

Basically, the Cartech SS kit is a well proven and well thought out kit for the money. It works, what can I say more?
post #19 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The TTI STREET kit that comes w/the 60-1, how much bigger (turbo wise) can you go before you have to swap out any parts?? I've heard you can only stretch it to a 62-1?? Anyone know for sure?? If not I'll just give 'em a call, thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
post #20 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by SN95LEEN
The TTI STREET kit that comes w/the 60-1, how much bigger (turbo wise) can you go before you have to swap out any parts?? I've heard you can only stretch it to a 62-1?? Anyone know for sure?? If not I'll just give 'em a call, thanks.
If a 62-1 could fit, there is no reason why a T64 could not. I know Clement looked into having his hifi turbo upgraded on that kit at one time, Majestic was offering to put a 68-1 wheel in there and doing a few other things to the turbo. So bigger turbos are possible.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 03:35 PM

You can run the larger sized turbos, up to a GT80, with the street kit, but like you said you will need to do a few things.

One is that if you run AC, you may need to do a little grinding depending on the orientation of the compressor (Which direction the compressor discharge is facing).

Secondly, you will probably want a 3" downpipe, and a larger wastegate. Possibly a bigger intercooler and piping if you are really looking to make 900hp.

At that point, you are really better to get a race kit, but the street kit is fine for up to about 650hp or so.

MJB
post #22 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Mike with your kit do you have to get rid of the ac or ps
post #23 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM

PS or AC

With the Turbo Tech Race kit, you can run PS or AC. Read above for more info...

Also, my Turbo Kit has SOLD. Thanks for everyone's interest.

I'll have the twins on in a couple weeks and be back on the road.
MJB
post #24 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 09:08 PM
CFM

Hey Blow_Me93-You **** all over me when I gave you my advice about going turbos in the SC forum, now your in hear thinking about buying one. What gives?

Anywho I was trying to state that there are some serious advantages of turbos that no SC can duplicate. You sound like your in collage or somthing ,so you probably have all the resorces needed to do the research. I wasent BSing. Turbos can and will do more with less.

I think that for STREET cars the power curves of positive displacment SC's and turbos are ideal. Please read this again, I said STREET cars. Whats more fun then instent torque?

I could have bought any power adder I wanted, but I decided to go with a KB becouse its a total street car. I really could give a **** about ET's and high RPM power. I would have went turbo (was just about to give brad a deposite for a cartech) but I was scared off by the horrer storys surrounding all the major turbo companys at the time. They seem to have really come along ways in the last 2 years.

Anywho Im prateling on and have fogotten what I was talking about or why I even posted for that matter. (I love having my computer on top of my mini bar!)

lets see were was I,Oh yes now I remember. Drinking anything other then doubles of vodka straight up is a waist of time and energy!! Further more I will even dare to say that people who drink brcouse they like the flavor are panseys!! If you want somthing that tASTS GOOD HAVE A YOHOO! But iF YOU WANNA GET F'ed up, drink it straight and drink it fast. Granted there are times when edicate dictates sertain restraint, for those times I siggest a Martini.Sshaken, Stired, There all good!
CHEERS

GOD BLESS ALcHOIL, THE COUSE OF AND SOLUTION TO ALL OF LIFES PROBLEMS! Homer J.
post #25 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CFM
. You sound like your in collage or somthing ,so you probably have all the resorces needed to do the research.
Well, obviously you are not in "collage".

MJB
post #26 of 53 Old 03-04-2003, 10:16 PM
CFM

Yes my spelling sucks, I thought it was already obviouse and there wouldent really be any need to point it out to others.
Or were you refering to somthing else I said?
post #27 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 12:51 PM

i have found that on the street, its easier to put the power down to the gound w/ a centri because the torque curve is softer. i can give a rats ass about theory.
post #28 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 12:55 PM

Quote:
originally posted by CASturbo:I have no dyno numbers with my single turbo kit
then why did you tell me over 2 years ago that it made 400rwhp? was that your seat of the pants estimation?

Last edited by clement; 03-05-2003 at 12:59 PM.
post #29 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo 5.0 Mike

As far as twins having less hot piping, I would have to say No that that also. You still have two headers, but now you have two downpipes, and two wastegates with dump tubes, as well as two cast iron exhaust housings So if you were measuring surface area of hot parts on a twin compared to a single, I would still say that the twin kit has more hot part surface area.
MJB
This is true on most kits but I'd say it depends on the kit. The Incon TT kits have much less "hot piping" than the average single turbo kit. Check this out.
The Twins

Last edited by Derek50; 03-05-2003 at 08:04 PM.
post #30 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 03:58 PM

Yeah, you're probably correct about the Incon kit. But I thought we were talking about 'manly' kits like the Cartech Outlaw twin or the Turbo Tech.

MJB
post #31 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clement
i have found that on the street, its easier to put the power down to the gound w/ a centri because the torque curve is softer. i can give a rats ass about theory.
Well, after having driven a turbo car much longer than you (87 GN and the 'Stang) I can confidently say both are easier to drive faster on the street than some high rpm ONLY power adder like the centri blower I used to have. Power is modulated by throttle with a turbo, not rpm like a centri. It's a shame you don't own a turbo car anymore, you could have tried it .
post #32 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clement
then why did you tell me over 2 years ago that it made 400rwhp?
Produce the statement where I said that.......you seem to have them all saved it seems. But anyways, 400 rwhp is a cinch and you know it........you bored lately, what up?
post #33 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 05:27 PM

If you want to be manly then lets talk twins...

post #34 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 05:32 PM

i would have to say that the turbo kits from www.itsturbo.net rocks, take a look and compare prices, give them a call. Very helpful peeps there.......later, wyominghotwheels
post #35 of 53 Old 03-05-2003, 07:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Which kit?

I am somewhat in the same boat. I don't really desire that much power at this point. I have been considering a turbo kit since Incon was still in business. I have seen plenty of positive feedback about ITS and Cartech. I am leaning towards a Cartech SS. Cartech has been in business and will probably continue to be for a long time. That's really important to me. Take a look at what each company has to say about themselves, not just the kit they are selling.

Single vs. twin isn't really an issue in your case. I talked myself into believing a twin was better also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement