Ford Mustang Forums banner

? What turbo should I update with on 347

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  turbotoys22 
#1 ·
Has a 347 with 9:8:1 compression DSS short block, screw in core plugs, TfS heads old Hi port, comp cams cam shaft Harland sharp rocker arms. Edelbrock rpm 2 intake, AODE trans with up graded clutches an stub shaft Bauman controller PI torque converter, 355 gears with a on3 turbo 70 mm.runs strong just over 500 rwhp on 11 psi of boost. Comp cam custom ground something like a 292x extreme cam almost a 600 lift.

So I just bought this car I know I ask alot of ? S on here and and have learned alot .I want to upgrade this to E85 car so it has 60 pound inj now going to go to? 80s or more? Has a 320 with a boost ta pump ? Go to a 450?
I'm puting the A.c back in the car so 76mm turbo is about as big as I can go.
I'm willing to spend money on the turbo so what are your suggestions on this new refind build?
Keep in mind it's a street car and I dont plan on puting a cage in it so street turbo .

#5 ·
A 76 can make good power.

A Precision 7675 CEA with a .96AR T4 housing will make 1000 HP or so. It is small, light, spools real fast, and makes good power for the size.

With 3300 lbs I ran 5.40 in the 1/8th in a 347 Dart block build. 3" downpipe and full exhaust.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply that's some impressive numbers you ran .
That's more than this 347 dss block is going to hold but be fun to push it to 600 with that turbo on e85.Exclusive CEA®️ (Competition Engineered Aerodynamics) compressor wheel machined from a 2618-aluminum forging
Higher efficiency and faster transient response for maximum power and performance
76mm inducer compressor wheel
"Ported H" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/3.0" outlet
75mm, 84 trim turbine wheel
Available with either a Hydrodynamic 360° thrust bearing system, or an Air-cooled, dual ceramic ball-bearing center housing rotating assembly (CHRA)
Undivided .81 A/R, .96 A/R or AGP 1.27 A/R T4 turbine housing
Part Number: 655-7675, 655-7675 B
Now I see they have a gen 2 of this same turbo for about a grand more .But i need a dart b4 that lol.

#7 ·
IMO, if you're only wanting 600-700 then no need to put a turbo on it that can make 1000hp. I would size it down a bit to something that will sustain your HP goals. A properly sized unit will spool faster and be more responsive street driving and be more fun when cruising around. Should you decide to make more HP with a different motor then step up the game.

ks

#9 ·
the on3 76mm turbo will be fine

turn it up to 18 lbs and toss e85 in it youd be making over 700rwhp

youd need a 450 pump and beefed up fuel pump wiring as well as a fuel rail that will support it and a properly sized return line

yep youd need 80lb injectors and would be best to run them at 60psi base fuel pressure

give this a good read
Pre Tune Information / EFIDynoTuning

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice and the link.great information my set up has alot of that done.
Dss 347 .
On3 70mm journal.
Canfield heads thought they where TFS.
Edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake.
75 mm throttle bbk body.
Msd ing .stock disb.
130 amp alternator.
7 at oil pan
Trans cooler behind intercooler.
50 shot off NoS.goes off at 7 pounds of boost.
Built trans for 750 hp.Button for lock up torque converter. One switch for automatic override.

Boost controller is somehow must be in spring only 7 ta 8 pounds.
Tuned at alternative motorsports.stock ecu.
Built rear end 31 spline strange with trutrac.
340 rear fuel pump with 60 pound injectors.
Has a 347 with 9:8:1 compression DSS short block, screw in core plugs, TfS heads old Hi port, comp cams cam shaft Harland sharp rocker arms. Edelbrock rpm 2 intake, AODE trans with up graded clutches an stub shaft Bauman controller PI torque converter, 355 gears with a on3 turbo 70 mm.runs strong just over 500 rwhp on 11 psi of boost. Comp cam custom ground something like a 292x extreme cam almost a 600 lift.

So in year 2020 go to 80 pound injectors and new mass air.
450 pump E-85
New 76 ball bering turbo.
Now what ecu set up to go to ?
Was thinking about haveing Mike post give it a tune even though his hang up is going to say 500 hp stock block tuff call may have to go somewhere else that may crank it up a bit more .
? Is Now what to tune it with has

#11 ·
the 70mm you have is more than capable of splitting the stock block...

#17 ·
Keep the 3.55.. I had a 3.27 and it drove nice, but it's leaving speed on the table. It's all good until somebody busts yerass.. I switched to a 3.55 and the car is faster. You lose 11mph in 4th (5-speed) gear topped out but the motor has more leverage and highway cruising is still good.

You have to compete with modern transmissions with 6-10 speeds that keep the motor in the powerband.. The whole load the turbo motor with a tall gear is a myth..

#19 ·
I'd suggest something larger than a P-trim exhaust housing. Looking at the map you will choke out on the exhaust side before you really get the compressor in the efficiency range. Look at the LS guys with similar flowing heads and CI. They're using mainly 7875 or some kind of borg. The 7875 isn't much of a larger footprint and will keep your pressure ratios lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.