• 2 Post By chad393na
  • 1 Post By boostup89
  • 1 Post By 5.0thunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (17)
Garage
Fox with an On3 cam choice

I admit. I have a problem. I am always picking up parts and buying crap I think I need but when reality sets in I donít actually need it. Now for the cam change question. So I had an E cam in the car when I put the turbo on and I did t like it. It didnít like low rpm driving at all. So after everything I read I switched back to my stock cam with 1.7 rockers. Car drives really good except Iíve been having cooking issues and today I bought a used long block and the guy was cleaning out his parts and I bought and almost new TFS1 cam. I thought ď I need thisĒ and ď this will be so fu*king awesome!!Ē Then I got home and I realized this car runs pretty well now why would I change it. Will I benefit from this cam swap at all? I donít think it will run bad at all but is there any more power in it when I use this cam or should I just send it the way it is? Car is just a fun cruiser, not trying to turn the earth or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock bottom end, gt40x, Ported GT40 tubular, On3 turbo, TKO, 5 lug, 4 wheel disc, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-26-2019, 09:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFraser27 View Post
I admit. I have a problem. I am always picking up parts and buying crap I think I need but when reality sets in I donít actually need it. Now for the cam change question. So I had an E cam in the car when I put the turbo on and I did t like it. It didnít like low rpm driving at all. So after everything I read I switched back to my stock cam with 1.7 rockers. Car drives really good except Iíve been having cooking issues and today I bought a used long block and the guy was cleaning out his parts and I bought and almost new TFS1 cam. I thought ď I need thisĒ and ď this will be so fu*king awesome!!Ē Then I got home and I realized this car runs pretty well now why would I change it. Will I benefit from this cam swap at all? I donít think it will run bad at all but is there any more power in it when I use this cam or should I just send it the way it is? Car is just a fun cruiser, not trying to turn the earth or anything.

TFS 1 cam is a split duration camshaft that's purposely built to run in boosted mustangs. It has similar operating rpm range as the E303 cam and you may feel the car buck a little at low rpm driving. I have the TFS 1 cam in my mustang and I've really enjoyed it. Its got a nice chop to it and my mustang really pulls hard. Im going turbo soon myself and I know what to expect since my uncles built a stock bottomed 302 with the TFS 1 cam.

post #3 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
If you want more power turn up the boost..

ks
JFraser27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I had an E-cam in my last boosted engine which was a 308 with aluminum heads. I didnt have driveablty issues and I loved the way it sounds at idle.. Truth is though the E-Cam isnt the best for boost because of the overlap. I went to an F-Cam in my latest 331 only because the E-Cam got damaged when the crank broke. I personally wouldnt go changing cams to find power especially if it is a stock block, stock cam engine unless you have specific goals.. My cam choice is more about sound and rpm range, not just about peak power but I also picked a cam that doesnt have overlap. Like Kevin said.. if you have a stock cam in there, just turn up the boost. Youll pick up more power from that than a cam. The stage1 cam wont make much difference over stock on a boosted engine since the turbo really is what gets the air into the engine. The beauty of a turbo is it overcomes the inefficient air path ways. Opening a valve a hair more isnt going to change much when you have pressurized air behind the valve, but with that said, im sure it will pick up power in some places in the power band. If you were looking to extend the rpm range, or move/change the power band or faster spool then I say look into a cam change, not just for more power. If your set on using it though, that cam should work good in boosted engines from what I have read. I personally dont have any experience with it. I think youll need to look into valve clearance with 1.72 rockers on those. That would put the lift about 536 intake and 548 exhaust which I do not believe will clear stock pistons.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #5 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 11:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Cooking issues??

Really tho, that tfs cam will give you top end power at around 6k. With those rockers you'll have 530/541 lift and that will definitely give you more power. My cam is a 276/280 duration on my 331 and it drives nice on the street but then will pull hard to the top. I think you would like it better.
JFraser27 likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (100)
I ran a completely stock short block (including cam), with stock twisted wedges (with 1.7 rockers) and an on3 turbo sysyem. Driveability was awesome, idled like a stocker, and went 9.90ís in a 3400# car. I miss that setup! 🙁
pt88 and JFraser27 like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yea, Iím going to stick with the stocker for the moment until I get the cooking issues sorted out. I blew head gaskets twice and now Iím wondering if I have bigger issues going on inside. I didnít get a chance to do anything today because i had yard work to catch up on. But this week Iím going to start diagnosing this car again and see where I end up. I have another set of heads here and I just bought another set which should be here by the end of the week. I plan on doing the head change to my new aluminum heads I bought but Iíd like to figure out exactly whatís going on. Iíve had a few people tell me that with a GT40 headed combo they always would push boost out and into the cooking system. I need a stronger radiator cap maybe and a larger overflow tank. I put in head studs and turned the boost down and it still seems to be a problem. I brought my vacuum bleeder home and Iím going to fill the cooling system that way this time and see how it does.

Stock bottom end, gt40x, Ported GT40 tubular, On3 turbo, TKO, 5 lug, 4 wheel disc, etc
post #8 of 17 Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89foxxy View Post
TFS 1 cam is a split duration camshaft that's purposely built to run in boosted mustangs.
No. Just no. That is not why it was made. The TFS-1 is a fine cam but it was not designed specifically for boost. If anything, it was designed to be an alternative to the B303. If you compare the published specs for the TFS-1 and the B303 they are extremely close and they deliver pretty similar results.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
No. Just no. That is not why it was made. The TFS-1 is a fine cam but it was not designed specifically for boost. If anything, it was designed to be an alternative to the B303. If you compare the published specs for the TFS-1 and the B303 they are extremely close and they deliver pretty similar results.
I didn't think TFS 1 was an alternative camshaft from the B303. I thought the TFS 1 was a mix between an E303 and F303 camshafts because of the camshaft specs they have.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
I didn't think TFS 1 was an alternative camshaft from the B303. I thought the TFS 1 was a mix between an E303 and F303 camshafts because of the camshaft specs they have.
Based on lift that is accurate. The intake side is E303 and the exhaust is F303 as far as lift. I cant really compare the profiles other than that though.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #11 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
If you look at the opening and closing events as well as the lobe center line points between the TFS-1 and the B303 they are very close. Like a degree or two difference. Actual lobe shape benefits I can't speak of. But there is a thread of two almost identical cars that both dyno'd and drag raced with the two cams. They were basically the same across the board.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well #### if itís like a B cam I have to run it

post #13 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
"E" cam, "F" cam, TFS stage1 cam, none were specifically designed with forced induction being it's primary use. They will all work, some better than others. If it's a dart block buit for Max power, go custom. Stock block build with 100% drivability in mind, I'd stay with the stock cam.
JFraser27 likes this.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I had an E-cam in my last boosted engine which was a 308 with aluminum heads. I didnt have driveablty issues and I loved the way it sounds at idle.. Truth is though the E-Cam isnt the best for boost because of the overlap.
Not that it matters because the OP has a stock block but looking at the valve events for the E303, it doesn't have any overlap. And while we are talking turbos and cams.......with today's turbo systems and tuning, need to start treating turbocharged like naturally aspirated motors.

'92 GT--YSI 2.95/8, Bennet Racing A4 347, TEA ported TW Heads, TFS-R Intake, TFS Stage 2 Cam, 65 TB, 72's, 3.55, C4, 275/60 MT DR's-Gone but not forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbRedneck View Post
Not that it matters because the OP has a stock block but looking at the valve events for the E303, it doesn't have any overlap. And while we are talking turbos and cams.......with today's turbo systems and tuning, need to start treating turbocharged like naturally aspirated motors.

I had an e cam in my car with my S trim it was awesome. With the turbo, well not as much awesome. It was a turd down low. And the turbo didnít spook until about 3k. Now with the stock cam and 1.7 rockers itís way into boost by 3K. Iíd say itís spooling by 2500

post #16 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I have a TFS1 in my turbo auto car, stalls around 2k probably with a PTC converter and it runs great. doesn't bog anywhere, spools quick, torque all over the place. Reason I have that cam? It came with the motor. lol You'll be fine with the stock cam and you can just turn boost up enough to crack the block.
JFraser27 likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 PM

its not worth the time nor effort to swap the cam

DIY Tuning -
TMoss Porting - tmoss.efidynotuning.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement