I always wanted to know... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
I always wanted to know...

So, as stated, I always kinda wanted to know.... I see a bunch of these famous racers running high dollar engines, with high dollar turbo systems on their cars without any sort of air to air or air to water intercoolers. As hard as I looked, all I could see was the turbo outlet plumbing directly into the intake.

Is there some sort of injection system I’m not seeing? Or is the inlet air temp not as important? The weight reduction not worth the benefits?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 04:11 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
So, as stated, I always kinda wanted to know.... I see a bunch of these famous racers running high dollar engines, with high dollar turbo systems on their cars without any sort of air to air or air to water intercoolers. As hard as I looked, all I could see was the turbo outlet plumbing directly into the intake.

Is there some sort of injection system Iím not seeing? Or is the inlet air temp not as important? The weight reduction not worth the benefits?
E85, meth injections, even alcohol are always options for cooler charge temps without coolers. Or they simply don't worry since the they don't run very long.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

I guess I never thought of the fuel they’d burn, which makes sense. I was just wondering how they did it and if it was/is worth the weight savings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 PM

The cars usually shut down once they hit the 1/4 mile Mark and then they cool down between runs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
A2A intercoolers work best when air is passing through them. Not much air movement in the staging lanes, so it's more likely to become heat soaked. Less piping and no cooler, or an A2W intercooler would be ideal. Not saying A2A intercoolers don't work well, just in competitive racing there are more ideal options.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Switching over to M1 here no intercooler or engine coolant. Less weight u need bigger injectors and a fuel system to support it. Also had to change fuel injection to support it. Hate the way it smells.

So air to water intercooler water tank for that and engine coolant the pump and plumbing and lines plus the water and ice. U will save a,lot of wright. Plus getting ice.

Not sure why no one uses a vacum pump?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

If I switched anything, it would be to Meth injection in the intake, not m1 as fuel simply because of the cost to upgrade everything....again!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Oh yeah big time expensive. The M1 is cheaper then Q16. U can run M1 as meth. Look it up. Going to do it for my street car.

Ran into someone that said he does not mix meth with water just used meth.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown and strocked View Post
Oh yeah big time expensive. The M1 is cheaper then Q16. U can run M1 as meth. Look it up. Going to do it for my street car.

Ran into someone that said he does not mix meth with water just used meth.
I don't mix water with mine either. Just use it straight..

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement