Ford Mustang Forums banner

I always wanted to know...

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  KEVIN$ 
#1 ·
So, as stated, I always kinda wanted to know.... I see a bunch of these famous racers running high dollar engines, with high dollar turbo systems on their cars without any sort of air to air or air to water intercoolers. As hard as I looked, all I could see was the turbo outlet plumbing directly into the intake.

Is there some sort of injection system I’m not seeing? Or is the inlet air temp not as important? The weight reduction not worth the benefits?

#2 ·
E85, meth injections, even alcohol are always options for cooler charge temps without coolers. Or they simply don't worry since the they don't run very long.

#5 ·
A2A intercoolers work best when air is passing through them. Not much air movement in the staging lanes, so it's more likely to become heat soaked. Less piping and no cooler, or an A2W intercooler would be ideal. Not saying A2A intercoolers don't work well, just in competitive racing there are more ideal options.

#6 ·
Switching over to M1 here no intercooler or engine coolant. Less weight u need bigger injectors and a fuel system to support it. Also had to change fuel injection to support it. Hate the way it smells.

So air to water intercooler water tank for that and engine coolant the pump and plumbing and lines plus the water and ice. U will save a,lot of wright. Plus getting ice.

Not sure why no one uses a vacum pump?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.