SHOULD A T-70 HAVE ANY SIDE PLAY IN THE SHAFT?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-16-2003, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question SHOULD A T-70 HAVE ANY SIDE PLAY IN THE SHAFT??

new to turbos, but i have a chance to buy a t-70 with only about 25 passes since new.

the impeller is pretty loose when you move it side to side in the housing. i know it is not supposed to.

also the blades have some small nicks in them- will this hurt anyhting??

is there supposed to be any movement at all in the unit.
other than the side play there is no other play.

thanks, steve

87' GRAND NATIONAL- 3.8 SFI TURBO
BIG TURBO, LOTS OF GO-FAST PARTS

88' MUSTANG GT- BONE STOCK,3.73 GEAR, 21 MPG

"INJECTION IS NICE, BUT I'D RATHER BE BLOWN. WHY NOT HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Founder corral.net

Sounds like this turbo was probably run on a motor that lost oil pressure for some amount of time. The nicks in the blades are indicative that they have touched the housing. This can create stress fractures in the impeller which could lead to a failure.

Sounds like this turbo is in need of a replacement impeller. Depending on what they want for it you may be able to get a good deal on the turbo. This could then be rebuilt possibly saving you money over a new turbo. It may also come out more expensive than just buying a new one.

Either way, you're looking at getting this turbo serviced in any case.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 AM

Side to side, yes.

Yes, all turbos have side to side play. This is the clearance for the bearings. Even with a brand new turbo you can rock the shaft side to side. It should not, however, have enough play to hit the housing. It should come CLOSE, but not hit. If you are unsure, remove the compressor housing and check for any area where the compressor wheel may have contacted the housing. If it did, walk away.

The kind of play that IS NOT acceptable is called endplay. That is if you push and pull on the shaft (In and out) it should not move at all. You may hear a small 'click' since there is actually .0015" clearance, but not like the side to side .015-.025" you may see with the side to side action.

Nicks shouldn't really do too much to the reliability of the unit. Of course it's better to see a turbo with no nicks, but as long as there aren't any pieces of the compressor wheel missing, and they aren't huge nicks, it should be ok.

MJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2003, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i got a T 70 on my car , and my freind who installed it said it felt a little worn , i didnt think it was enough to worry , untill i got up to 5lbs and it blew oil out , so i took it off and had it rebuilt , sounds like yr better off to have it rebuilt also , performance techniques has great service

93lx
01 3500 street/pull truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement