Prep for Turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Prep for Turbo?

I've got a completely stock 02 GT with 4500 miles. I kow there are plenty of things I CAN do to improve performance but is there anything I MUST do to prepare my car for a Turbolocity aka Total Performance Turbo kit? This is my daily driver and will not be on a track so, I'd hate to blow anything up.

The kit is composed of:

60-1 Innovative Turbo
Tial 35mm Billet Aluminum Wastegate
Mitsu Bypass Valve / up to 12psi
Recalibrated Stock Mass Air (core charge)
Autologic custom chip / 3 programs included
42lb FMS Injectors
Walbro GS317 255lph In-Tank Fuel Pump
27" long, 3" thick Aluminum Intercooler
2.5" Intercooler Tubing
Custom Headers with ¬Ĺ" Flanges 1-5/8" Primaries
2.5" Front Crossover Tube with Stainless Flex Joint
3" Downpipe
3" Main 2.5" Secondary Y-Pipe
HPC Coating on hot parts
Silicone hose at all intercooler connections
Aircraft grade Stainless Hose Clamps
Aluminum relocation brackets for fuse box and PS Reservoir
Grade 8 hardware
Detailed instructions with diagrams
Mechanical Boost Controller

Power Output: 434hp / 547 torque at lowest setting

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
There shouldn't really be anything else you need to do...looks as if what you need is included. I would swap to a non chambered muffler though. One thing to note though, I'm pretty sure they haven't hit 434rwhp and 547rwtq with the '02 yet, they were having some sort of tuning problems with it. Matter of fact, I don't know that they've hit that number again with any of their other kits but I could be mistaken.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info 92fastlx. As long as I can get 300+rwhp safely, I would be happy. Should I be concerned about the tuning issue?

Also, do you have any suggestions on that non-chambered muffler...or should I take that to another forum? I'm not interested in anything too loud. The ragtop doesn't filter out enough as it is.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2003, 08:49 PM

I think that they fixed the 02 problems from what ive read on another site. Also i think that those are peak numbers and that the chip you will get is detuned to somewhere in the 420rwhp area. If im not mistaken. Ill give numbers when i get it on the dyno in the first week of march. Only things that i would add is a set of sub frames and guages. Although if you do want to bring it to a track you will need a battery disconnect switch also because the battery is moved to the trunk. I also bought a boost controller and some good spark plugs. but in the end it comes down to how much do you want to spend, im going to do a forged short block, redo the tranny and the rear with 31 spline axles just to be safe. This is also my daily driver.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2003, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02StangVert
Thanks for the info 92fastlx. As long as I can get 300+rwhp safely, I would be happy. Should I be concerned about the tuning issue?

Also, do you have any suggestions on that non-chambered muffler...or should I take that to another forum? I'm not interested in anything too loud. The ragtop doesn't filter out enough as it is.

Thanks again!
You'll blow away 300rwhp I assure you. As for mufflers, I went with Dynamax Ultra-Flos. As for noise, with those mufflers and the turbo setup, it will be even more quiet than stock. Your car will be a big time sleeper noise wise. That's just the way it is with any muffler on a turbo car. I have a twin turbo 5 liter with an offroad x-pipe, dynamax mufflers, cam, twisted wedge heads, etc and it is quieter than a stock mustang with the 4 cats still on it. Best of luck with your turbo setup. later
post #6 of 9 Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 PM

02StangVert,

I'm in the same boat. I have a stock 02 saleen s281 w/ 6k miles and will be ordering the Turbolocity kit next week. They have fixed the 02 tune problems. You can see dyno results on the turbolocity message board. Get a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. The book has pretty much everything you need to know about turbocharger systems.

I plan on leaving everything stock and getting a very conservative 8 psi tune. I will probably upgrade to a chicane pump and a HKS blowoff valve.

Who will be installing the kit for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sizz
They have fixed the 02 tune problems. You can see dyno results on the turbolocity message board.
Sizz, I've been following the '02 tuning deal to see what they came up with and never did see some final numbers. The ones I saw most recently were around 340rwhp and they were still working on the problem. I looked again on the turbolocity forum and didn't see the new results, could you post a link to it b/c I may have overlooked them? Thanks man and good luck with your car.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2003, 07:28 PM

379/483 shown in the dyno graphs:

http://www.turbolocity.com/forums/sh...&pagenumber=10

That was with a faulty fuel pump. I know it's not the 420/470 the '01 produced, but it's close enough for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2003, 12:24 AM

cool, thanks. Somehow I must have lost track of that. Those numbers are still very good despite not being the 420 and a definite improvement over what the numbers were. I'm sure they still have room for improvement. Usually just a swap from a chambered muffler such as stock or flowmaster to non chambered such as a dynamax will gain about 25rwhp on a turbo car so he'd be hitting around 400rwhp with no other changes but that. Anyways, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement