Blow Through MAF - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Blow Through MAF

What are folks using these days for blow through MAFs ? I am building a Twin Turbocharged 383W and targeting 1000-1200HP and was curious what folks have had good luck with? I am running an old-school EPEC system so I need a 5v setup. I have heard of these slot style meters, are those still the best? Any vendor recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (53)
Interested to see what the go to is also....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM

When i built my twin setup i was playing with the idea of going that route but i went to a standalone system which is a speed density system. I like the control of the system better. But i'm curious also to see what others used for their setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (36)
HPX-E seems to be the meter everyone uses.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I wanted more than 700hp so I was going to switch from the HPX to the HPX-E but eventually went with a aftermarket computer system and dumped the MAF completely.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

So the folks that have dumped the MAF for speed density. What was the main reason for this? Were you running a factory ECU or an aftermarket MAF based ECU?

I've seen a few places that say the HPX-E can't be "pegged" how is that even possible? Can't any meter be pegged with a high enough flow rate?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 AM

the reason i went standalone was the control ability of the system. Here is one example: i'm running 42 lbs injectors (with 255lph fuel pump) but if i see that my duty cycle of my injectors is at 90% at 3/4 throttle at 8 lbs boost then i know my injectors are to small. I then put in 60lbs injetcors and adjust the fuel in the standalone system. No new sensor re calibration. With a standalone you basically have full control of the cars systems.

For my car i was running a pro m sensor calibrated for 42s, with factory ecu. When it was supercharged.

The system comes with its own ecu.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

I have left a couple of voicemails and an email with PMAS and haven't gotten a response. Talked to PRO-M racing and they were very helpful. They recommended a 3.5" pro tube with the traditional sensor. From my understanding of what they told me, My plan is to order the MAF calibrated for injectors big enough to handle the MAX horsepower I plan on making. I can run a smaller actual injector if I like, since I am running an aftermarket ECU and It can be programmed for any injector size. But this way I won't max out the meter.

They also said that the slot style MAFs actually have dirtier signal than the older style sensors. I was skeptical when I heard it but I actually happened upon a YouTube video where they flowbench the two and you can see the difference. It was pretty interesting.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Standalone here. I wanted something that the tuner liked and could easily adjust, have logging capabilities along with something that can be setup as a Flex Fuel system for different fuels. Some standalone units have builtin rev limiters, bank-to-bank fuel tuning, boost control, knock sensing capabilities, meth injection activation, etc.

ks

Kevin Slaby
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Garage
Stand alone with a map sensor here, love not needing a MAF for car to run, if I blow a charge hose off it does not change the way my car runs, also have the ability to run with just open throttle body. Will never understand why Pro M went to a Mass air stand alone system.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

I think for the 1000hp the OP is wanting a standalone would be a better choice due to the extra capabilities they offer. Once I hit over 700hp with the factory unit the tuner needed more adjustability to keep the engine safe.

ks

Kevin Slaby
post #12 of 13 Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Seems like you guys that dumped the mass air for speed density were all running factory ECUs.. So that makes sense based on the features you gained from going standalone. I have an aftermarket standalone Mass Air ECU (an EPEC), so I have already got all of the programmable options. My system can handle any amount of power, as long as I pick the right MAF for the job. I think the ProM Pro Tube 3.5" is the way to go..
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostchain View Post
Seems like you guys that dumped the mass air for speed density were all running factory ECUs.. So that makes sense based on the features you gained from going standalone. I have an aftermarket standalone Mass Air ECU (an EPEC), so I have already got all of the programmable options. My system can handle any amount of power, as long as I pick the right MAF for the job. I think the ProM Pro Tube 3.5" is the way to go..
I'm by no means an expert on how to tune the stock ECU or this MS Pro (I pay an expert to do it) but from my experience with the stock ECU and HPX MAF that was on the car the limitations that we encountered were fuel distribution and cylinder heat. Once we started running much over 700hp my car would melt a plug or two. This was cured by altering fuel and timing to those individual cylinders. If you're going for 1200hp that is a lot of air flow that may not be getting distributed evenly and this is where having better control could be beneficial. If you already have this tuning capability then you're ahead of the game. Along with the MS Pro I also have a J&S Vampire system that monitors knock in each individual cylinder and a Lean Protection system with dual widebands.

ks

Kevin Slaby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement