boost controller question on how it effects tune - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By t32265
  • 1 Post By t32265

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-21-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
Talking boost controller question on how it effects tune

Im new to the boost controller world. I have a ams1000 in mustang TT. My question is this. If you tune your car for 20 psi max with no boost controller hooked up and then you install one and run 6 psi 1st stage, 15 psi 2nd stage, then 18 psi 3rd stage and 20 psi on the rest of the stages how will this effect your air fuel ratio if you not seeing the full 20 psi at red line in the first 3 stages. Im trying to wrap my head around how guys change there boost setting to get there car to hook and how it effects tuning. I came from a supercharged car so im try to learn as much as i can about controlling the boost/tuning. thanks

Boss 5.3L modular stroker, DOHC, E85, 9.5:1, 4.0L whipple, well over 800rwhp, all in a s197 body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I had a similar question when i had my car tuned, but it was more of if i tune for 18# and dial it back to 8 or 9 will it run too rich or have any adverse affects. The simple answer was no, it is adjusting fuel according to what the maf is metering.

My question is are you able to run that wide off boost ranges off a single controller? So far i have only seen controllers that can at max double the current spring pressure unless there was some sort of secondary gas assist. So if you have a 8psi spring, 8 is the lowest you can go and roughly 16 is the highest. I had asked a few months back on here what controllers could do more but didnt get a response. I have this dilema now, i want to bump max boost a little but that means my lowest boost goes up as well if i change the spring

'01 Hellion'd single turbo 2v
post #3 of 14 Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You can run over double spring pressure if you use ams1000 with co2 controlling waste gates instead of manifold pressure.

Boss 5.3L modular stroker, DOHC, E85, 9.5:1, 4.0L whipple, well over 800rwhp, all in a s197 body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-21-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also your wastegate Solenoid types come into play also. They have ones that are designed for this.

post #5 of 14 Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
I move my boost setting all over the place depending on what I want to do. I can dial anywhere from about 8-10 psi boost for part or all of a run (the gate spring pressure) all the way up to 28 psi or more if I want to hit it with a lot of power.

I have a Holley EFI system and a proper table for fuel. I have a basic 8-9 psi spring in a gate that has a large ratio of control diaphragm area to the gate's exhaust valve area. A large ratio there gives better more stable control. I use the Holley to apply CO2 to the dome to increase boost to whatever I like.

I normally leave the line at 9-10 psi and depending on the race and the track either run it through at 9 psi or ramp it up to whatever I want to run just as long as the track and tires can take the boost. It doesn't hurt mixture or anything at all. The turbo maxes out at 28-30 psi (it runs out of turbine and compressor flow at about the same point), I've only had it up there once or twice but the fuel mixture was right at target.

How well your system works would depend on the wastegate design, the turbo system, and how well the fuel is programmed for different boost levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Garage
I am running 2# springs in my wastegates, the Holley EFI does everything above that and my track tune is 22# boost with CO2.
TomR likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t32265 View Post
I am running 2# springs in my wastegates, the Holley EFI does everything above that and my track tune is 22# boost with CO2.
I can't imagine having a system that goes off mixture as boost changes!! That would be a dangerous system to run!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #8 of 14 Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I can't imagine having a system that goes off mixture as boost changes!! That would be a dangerous system to run!
Mixture does not change by boost pressure, co2 only adds pressure to the gates just like your does Tom. i just have the ability to run small springs in my waste gates
TomR likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t32265 View Post
Mixture does not change by boost pressure, co2 only adds pressure to the gates just like your does Tom. i just have the ability to run small springs in my waste gates
It wasn't clear but I was referring to the parts of the original post asking :

Quote:
If you tune your car for 20 psi max with no boost controller hooked up and then you install one and run 6 psi 1st stage, 15 psi 2nd stage, then 18 psi 3rd stage and 20 psi on the rest of the stages how will this effect your air fuel ratio if you not seeing the full 20 psi at red line in the first 3 stages. Im trying to wrap my head around how guys change there boost setting to get there car to hook and how it effects tuning. I came from a supercharged car so im try to learn as much as i can about controlling the boost/tuning. thanks
The best system is to apply CO2 to the dome to increase boost over the base spring pressure, although there are other control systems that don't use CO2.

A properly working system will not have a fuel mixture error no matter what boost is dialed.

A proper system can run any boost from vacuum to full boost and not have a mixture error.

I was just saying I can't imagine any properly working system losing control of mixture as boost changes no matter what method is used.

Maybe I don't understand his question??

post #10 of 14 Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Maybe I don't understand his question??
I think his concern is if a car is tuned to run 20psi but he only runs 10psi can the AF still be correct since it wasn't tuned to be run at 10psi.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #11 of 14 Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So my understanding is that if your car is tuned for 20lbs at red line then you can run any amount of boost up to that amount because the fuel tables have been figured out to that point and the maf will tell the computer what to do. But you can't go past 20lbs because it was never tuned past that point. Thanks for all the help. I'll be running co2 also.

post #12 of 14 Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psistang View Post
So my understanding is that if your car is tuned for 20lbs at red line then you can run any amount of boost up to that amount because the fuel tables have been figured out to that point and the maf will tell the computer what to do. But you can't go past 20lbs because it was never tuned past that point. Thanks for all the help. I'll be running co2 also.
Correct.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #13 of 14 Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM

boost has NOTHING to do with it

there are NO boost PIDs in the strategy

once you over come that, the rest will be easy.

run 30psig

wont matter

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I wondered the same thing, but are you using wastegate springs for boost control at 20lbs? If your o2’s are running open loop cycle, it should tune accordingly, but closed loop like mine, it tends to fatten up due to the lower airflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement