TFS TW or Edelbrock RPM with Incon TT? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
TFS TW or Edelbrock RPM with Incon TT?

I found a good set of Edelbrock RPM's for sale with a Stage 2 port job. I am also very fond of TFS TW heads and their capabilities, i.e. EFI RENEGADE. I will be installing an Incon TT kit this winter. I will be installing my stock cam for now along with a ported Holley intake matched to the heads I get. What would be the better choice of head for me? Would it be worth getting a set of equally ported TW's for $300-$500 more than I would pay for the RPM's? Please help me out as I am anxious to buy a set of heads soon.

1993 LX hatch
Incon 800TTi, AFR heads, Holley intake, stock cam
11.21 @ 124

480 whp, 520 wtq (10 psi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 12:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
keep it simple dude, theres no reason for the ported heads if your running a stock block as box stock twisted wedges will get you to mid 10s with an incon kit and any faster then that your shortblock turns into a hand grenade with the pin pulled. if your building an A4/R302 block combo then go ahead and get the ported heads but if not just get box stock ones

post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 01:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
mike speaks the truth. keep it simple. i ran 10's on box stock afr 165's and performer (not rpm) manifold.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

The reason I would like to get ported heads is because I would not have to do it later on. Also, the more the heads and intake flow, the less boost I would have to put through the motor. Less boost equals less fuel and less problems. The main reason is because of my Holley intake. The lower has a terrible port mismatch. My Darts' I have now are matched to a 1250 gasket and the Holley lower is unported. The bottom and side walls of the intake ports of the Holley meet the heads perfectly, but the top port wall of the Holley is about 1/8" taller than that of the 1250 intake gasket dimensions. This leaves a flow hinderance that I would not like to have in my intake tract with my TT setup. All TFS TW heads are box stock to a 1250 intake gasket and I would have the same problem with them. I am looking for a set of heads that are ported out to a 1262 gasket and then I will have the lower intake matched and milled to line up with the heads. If I didn't have the problem with the lower intake mismatch, I would most definitely get box stock TW's but I don't want intake port turbulence.

1993 LX hatch
11.21 @ 124

post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

The reason I would like to get ported heads is because I would not have to do it later on. Also, the more the heads and intake flow, the less boost I would have to put through the motor. Less boost equals less fuel and less problems. The main reason is because of my Holley intake. The lower has a terrible port mismatch. My Darts' I have now are matched to a 1250 gasket and the Holley lower is unported. The bottom and side walls of the intake ports of the Holley meet the heads perfectly, but the top port wall of the Holley is about 1/8" taller than that of the 1250 intake gasket dimensions. This leaves a flow hinderance that I would not like to have in my intake tract with my TT setup. All TFS TW heads are box stock to a 1250 intake gasket and I would have the same problem with them. I am looking for a set of heads that are ported out to a 1262 gasket and then I will have the lower intake matched and milled to line up with the heads. If I didn't have the problem with the lower intake mismatch, I would most definitely get box stock TW's but I don't want intake port turbulence.

1993 LX hatch
11.21 @ 124

post #6 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 11:10 PM

seems like a rather easy solution but why not sell the holley and get a diferent intake more suited to your needs?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-10-2003, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steed93
Also, the more the heads and intake flow, the less boost I would have to put through the motor. Less boost equals less fuel and less problems.
You're looking at that from the wrong perspective. Less 'boost' doesn't mean anything in relation to your fuel....it all has to do w/ the amount of air flow you have going....cfm....lb/min however you want to measure it. You may have less 'boost' but you'll still have more airflow and require more fuel to match it with so I wouldn't base my reasoning for 'ported heads' on that. Good luck with whatever you do decide though.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-16-2003, 02:52 PM

Re: TFS TW or Edelbrock RPM with Incon TT?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steed93
I found a good set of Edelbrock RPM's for sale with a Stage 2 port job.
Just curious how much those Edelbrock heads you found cost?
Are they 6025's?
E-mail me if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks,
Chris.
[email protected]
post #9 of 15 Old 02-24-2003, 08:25 AM

I use box stock performer heads and a performer intake. With the incon kit there is just no use to overdoing it unless you have a built block. Listen very carefully to what Mike said, there is no reason to spend extra money. I could kick you square in the junk and turn the boost up slightly higher with the box stock stuff and you could send me the money you saved for my trouble. Seriously, it won't affect the power or the fuel requirements. It is the same amount of air as Barry said, and unlike a supercharger which takes a good bit more energy to crank up the boost, that isn't the case for a turbo so the power will not change.

Spend your money however you want, but you can split the stock block with second hand box stock parts. Why throw it away though. You'd be better off investing in a real nice clutch and some good suspesion/rubber to actually use the power you will make.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Incon?
You'd be better off investing in a real nice clutch and some good suspesion/rubber to actually use the power you will make.
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Incon?
87' GT w/ twin turbos
9.5 @ 86 1/8th
13.8 @ 120 (Pep boys radials and open diff @ 3700lbs)

Just givin' you a hard time Bryon.

Chris
1989 Mustang LX - small turbo
2016 Explorer Sport - a couple of turbos
post #11 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 04:56 PM

See, I'm trying to teach others to learn from my mistakes.

Don't fret the heads, look at my et.

But also check out the 34mph gain in the last 1/8th of the track...scwhing
post #12 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of buying some used AFR 185's or some lightly ported TFS TW. The way I see it, I could pick up a set of lightly ported TW heads and still be under the price of a new set. I haven't seen too many box stock used TW heads for sale lately, all ported of some sort.

1993 LX hatch
11.21 @ 124

post #13 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 03:00 PM

I dont think the ports on the incon manifolds are bigger than the afr ports which is a NO NO. You really need to here this from someone who knows for sure though. Some people have opened up the incon manifolds some, but I doubt it is worth the hassle. Depending on how ported the TW heads are, they may be mismatched too. Its okay for the head opening to be smaller than the manifolds, but not the other way around.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 06:59 PM

regarding incon system

does anyone no if the incon headers clear on passenger side with t28 turbos from a 300 zx.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 08:49 PM

that would depend, what are the dimensions of a t28?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement