I may switch from SC to Turbo on Sunday - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2003, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
I may switch from SC to Turbo on Sunday

I am thinking of buying a turbo kit this weekend and replacing my ProCharger- 14 psi intercooled P1SC.

It is $2800 and comes with:

Garret T66.

Comes w/ 3 core intercooler, all necessary tubing (The kit has provisions for A/C and P/S if you're still want to run that), custom made headers, and comes w/ exhaust and cat back.

It has much ceramic coating.
IC is polished

Will I be happier with this?
I've hit a 12.20 @ 118 now with 417/427 RW HP/TQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-07-2003, 08:56 PM

Wow, sounds real good for that price. What kit is it?

You'll easily surpass the performance you did with the Procharger, probably trap 125 mph at the same 14 psi. The T66 is larger than the P1SC so the turbo has the advantage there.

Just guessing, I bet with a safe tune the motor ought to spank out 550 rwtq and 480 rwhp. Alot depends on the cylinder heads you got, any good aftermarket head could add another 100 HP/TQ to that.

post #3 of 17 Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
I know very little about turbos other than what info crosses over from SC.

The kit is custom pieced by the owner of a local long-time mustang speed shop.
It is my understanding that he had it on his own car for a while.

My heads are GT-40X
Intake is Cobra ( I know it has to go soon- may get RPM )
B-cam (I know it must get the heave ho too, I will get help when I pick one)

9:1 compression
well under 10k mile long block new from Ford. XB3 engine

MSD 6BTM (BTM not used due to custom FordChip tune )
36 lb-hr ford blue tops

Tremec 3550
3.55:1 rear
ET Streets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2003, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

I spoke with a GN guy with a 10 sec Buick at the track tonight.

He said that's too big a turbo for everyday driving and that tuning on his turbo is required constantly.
He suggested keeping my blower and getting what I can out of it.

My goal for the car is to run 11's easily and maybe a high 10 if I go auto.

Another friend who has a turbo mustang and runs a turbomustangs board said the kit isn't that great a deal considering that it is home-spun and originaly for a 351.

As I stand now, I will pass on the turbo.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2003, 10:24 PM

Not true.

It is so not true that the 66 is "too big" for a daily driven car. It is probably the best compromise of power and response when it comes to turbos. I know this from personal experience. If it were a track only car, I'd say the 66 might be outgrown in a year or so, and to go for a 76 or 80. But the 66 is a great turbo for the street.

The T-66 will get you in the very low 10's with a stock bottom end, no problems. 10.3 @ 133 to be exact.

I personally run a TE64 (Basically the same thing as the T66) on my street car. I drive it every day, and I would not trade the turbo for ANY other power adder. There is nothing like it- the reliability and power just simply blow everything else out of the water.

And turbos need NO tuning once they are set up. The program in my street car has not changed since I first put the kit on my car well over 2 years ago. I do keep changing the program in my race car because I have tried a couple different turbos, and different cams, but if I didn't change those things, the program would be the same.

Don't let people talk you out of it. They really don't know what they are talking about if they have never tried it themselves.

Go for it. You will not regret it, and you won't be putting any belt driven adder on your car again.

MJB
post #6 of 17 Old 02-09-2003, 11:36 AM

DOn't pass the turbos up...Mike is right there is NOTHING like it.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-09-2003, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Four eyed stangs
I spoke with a GN guy with a 10 sec Buick at the track tonight.

He said that's too big a turbo for everyday driving and that tuning on his turbo is required constantly.
A T66 on a Buick GN is quite large, he is correct. BUT where that GN guy is NOT correct is since you have a V8 motor, a larger turbo is more appropriate and will not affect everyday driving.

Tuning on a turbo is non-existant if it's tuned properly in the first place. I bet that GN guy is using alcohol injection, race gas, or some other oddity to give him troubles. I know first hand what the GN guys do!!

Assuming that turbo kit is in good shape, at that price you'd be quite foolish to let it pass IMO.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2003, 03:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
One thing I've found to be VERY helpful in advise is: Only take advise from someone with ACTUAL experience with that particular setup or item. You can listen to people all day who have heard this, or heard that, or it's awesome on my 2.5 liter it should work great on your 5.0.

I assure you, once you go turbo, you won't EVER go back or regret it. This is coming from an experienced ex-supercharger owner (twice). I have owned an R-trim and a powerdyne.

That T66 is so ideal for your setup it could't get any better. I only have a 62-1 and I've made almost 550 hp at the crank. One day I will upgrade to a T66. Until then, I could only dream of the "big shaft" (62-1 small shaft, T66 big shaft... you know...lets not go there).

I've got over 40,000 miles on my custom turbo setup. It's completely reliable, and makes gobs of power all over the RPM band. My superchargers were neither reliable, nor as powerful (average, and peak). The current tune I have on my car has been the same for the last 5 months. This only reason I lift the hood is to change the oil, raise or lower boost with the turn of a knob (you can't do that with your supercharger), and to keep things clean. That's it.

If you don't switch to turbo, from this day on you can look back on life and say, "I passed up a great opportunity once when I was young and dumb." Now, I'm not saying you're dumb, I'm just saying you've got a great opportunity to advance in the world of power, and you should take it.

Take it from someone with actual experience. I will never go back.

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 19COBRA93
This only reason I lift the hood is to change the oil, raise or lower boost with the turn of a knob (you can't do that with your supercharger)
Come on now...Put that knob somewhere that you can reach it while driving.

MJB
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2003, 03:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Come on now...Put that knob somewhere that you can reach it while driving.
It's in the plans. I've just got to find a suitable place for it.

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
post #11 of 17 Old 02-11-2003, 07:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Re: Not true.

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo 5.0 Mike

I personally run a TE64 (Basically the same thing as the T66) on my street car. I drive it every day, and I would not trade the turbo for ANY other power adder. There is nothing like it- the reliability and power just simply blow everything else out of the water.

Mike, what a/r is that TE64 and what intake are you using?
post #12 of 17 Old 02-11-2003, 07:50 PM

It's a .69 A/R exhaust housing. It is INSTANT on. Still runs 128mph in the 1/4 on pump gas. Stock heads, stock cam, stock bottom end. Just a Downs upper and a GT40 lower (Not that I think it helps, but it was a 'hand me down' from my other car so I figure I'd use it).

MJB
post #13 of 17 Old 02-11-2003, 07:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Did you ever run the car with the stock intake? Did that box upper push the powerband up any?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-11-2003, 08:06 PM

The car had gone a best of 119mph before I put the intake on...But I didn't just change the intake...I switched from the Turbo Tech Street kit to the Turbo Tech race kit. Also swapped from a single 2.5 inch all the way to the back, to a 3" downpipe (Standard on race kit) that Y'd into 2 - 2.5"s, and went from a stock throttle body to a 75mm Accufab.

Oh, and added a ram air intake, which I think made the most improvement over everything else I did. Ram air is where it's at.

MJB
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2003, 11:32 AM

the only issue you might have is that the kit was built on a 351 so it'll need some alterations to fit on your 302. T-64-66 is perfect.

Alan
'89 GT (331, Canfields, FAST EFI, T-70, Griggs GR-40) 550rwhp/640rwtq @ 15psi 91 octane
'98 M3 /4
post #16 of 17 Old 02-19-2003, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I say go for it. I may not have a stang right now, but the next one I get will be turbo'd. I have both nitrous and superchargers on mustangs over the years, and while nice, owning a GN sold me on turbo power as the only way to go. I have a TE-45a (Limit Engineering/John Craig) on the GN, and it's awesome. Quick spool-up and great top-end power. It's similar to the 63E offered by Precision, which is also a killer turbo. With a leaky crossover, pump gas, 15-16# boost, and low timing the car went mid 12's @ 115......Be nice when I finally crank it up to 25#..should be interesting to see how fast this brick will run...

I say go for it.....you'll never be sorry you did.

Lonnie
'13 Mustang V6...DIB...a few mods...Best pass 13.18 @ 107.4...12's here I come.

'93 black Lightning #4310..resto project
post #17 of 17 Old 02-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
i would definatly go w/ the turbo. the turbo isnt(too big) for everyday driving.its actually perfect.it it may have a little more lag but will have more top end power. your motor should have enough tourqe so the bit of lag you get wont really hurt your performance. besides, if its and everyday driver, you dont want it to spool up so quick that you loose traction when driving stop light to stop light. my buddy had a turbo on his 95 gt. it was a bull sh*t combination and ran like a bat outta hell. think he was running 11.4's w/ 1/2 of the stuff i have done to my car! i say jump all over it. $2800 is a steal! if you dont want it, ill sell my p1sc and buy it. let me know.

95 cobra 90 gt
hp turbo kit black-on-black
systemax heads and intake
stupid little bolt-on's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement