couple questions.... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2003, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
couple questions....

OK so Ive decided to go turbo instead of blown, now to the next round of decisions...
I am hoping to mount it on the pass side where the air box and MAFF are ( try not to move the alternator if I can help it ) any thoughts on if this is feasable....
Oh sorry got aheead of myself, its a 90 lx daily driven, I want to run a single, keep peak power at or below 6000, and make ...oh , 400-450 whp at 6-8 lbs of boost. On a 306 pro bullet with TF heads and intake and a Lunati stick
Anyhow, pass side mount , do-able?
Would I be in for say a like a T44E, or a T61 (i think it was), what do you reccomend given the desired results listed above?
How about the new Garrett "GT" series that I have been hearing about, any thoughts or experience?
Oh and the father of all DUMB questions, how do ya read a turbo boost map thing?
The whole teardrop shaped graph thing has me kinda lost.....
Oh I can make my own, but does anyone make a front mounted intercooler with the intake and exit port on the SAME END...Ill need that configuration if I mount front right....
Thanks again....and sorry about the dumb Q's
Dave-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2003, 02:19 PM

Re: couple questions....

Quote:
Originally posted by ddonaca351
I am hoping to mount it on the pass side where the air box and MAFF are ( try not to move the alternator if I can help it ) any thoughts on if this is feasable....

Would I be in for say a like a T44E, or a T61 (i think it was), what do you reccomend given the desired results listed above?

How about the new Garrett "GT" series that I have been hearing about, any thoughts or experience?

Oh I can make my own, but does anyone make a front mounted intercooler with the intake and exit port on the SAME END...Ill need that configuration if I mount front right....

Dave-
Dave, I'd mount the single turbo on the driver's side, therefore the intercooler piping will be much easier to accomplish. Having the turbo on the pass. side will involve lots of tubing bends very likely making overall system efficiency less. That's the problem Vortech's have, they're mounted on the same side as the throttle body and piping loss with an air to air intercooler is considerable, thus Vortech's compromised decision to use water to air (street duty only).

I'd go with a 60 series turbo right from the start to get your power level you want and very possibly not have to buy a larger turbo later. Not that the TE44 is a slouch, it isn't, but the bigger turbo is really alot better all around IMO. Pricewise, either turbo is not that much different.

The new GT series turbos are the latest craze, and I'm sure they're pretty trick, but have you priced one out? Damn, nice or not, they are some costly. Let's get a GP going and I'll buy one then. INCON basically went out of business hawking these turbos their price is so steep. IMO, at power levels less than 600 HP, are they really that necessary?

For a custom intercooler I suppose something on EBAY might be a source, but you could always take 2 smaller IC's and weld them together, say like 2 GN cores or those small IC's off a Diamond Star car (Eclipse, Laser, etc). Of course, Spearco, Cartech, Procharger, and many others make new ones to fit your needs too.......just very pricey.

I say run without an IC for now, keep boost below 10 psi, set timing conservative, give it plenty of fuel, go with T64 or larger turbo (keeps boost temps down), and of course........WHHHOOOOSSHHHHH!!

post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2003, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...
As to the IC I figured I could take two of them off an eclipse and just make a set of endtanks for them. They are avail at the local wrecking yard for 25-100 each depending on how beat up the tanks are, but as long as the fins are good, I dont care about the tanks, cuz Ill be cutting them off and welding on new ones anyhow. Plus Sperco ( did I spell that right? ) wants like 500 just for the core!!!! and then I have to put on tanks anyhow.... so 1-200 is sounding alott more do-able to me.
For plumbing I have access to unlimited quantity of DOM 3" stainless tubing here at work, so again that will keep cost low.
I have done some looking and measuring in, on, under, and around the car and as long as the turbo is smaller in dia than 14" INCLUDING any heat shields I have to make, it will fit real nice just outside and ahead of the alternator. I think excluding the 90 into the IC and the 90 into the motor I can do it with 5 45 degree bends. ( 2 from turbo to IC, and 3 from IC to motor ) I am really wanting to TRY to not have to move the battery and PS pump, which I have heard is needed on a DS mount....(i have ac)
? - the pipe from the turbo to the IC is only 2.5" right?
? - or is it better to have 3" to the IC as well?
? - but from the IC to the motor should be 3" correct?
? - will going with the 60-1 hurt my spool up time vs a 44e?
the motor will only see 6-7lbs initially, and may-be 9-10 later if I get greeeeeedy... so is the higher peak potential of the 60 justified for the possible increase in lag? vs a 44e...
No I hadnt priced the GTs yet, and judging by your reaction, I wont bother....something tells me I dont want to know....
One other possible I have heard of is going with a turbo from a late 90s powerstroke diesel. Is this a favorable selection cost wise, or is it an exercise in wasted effort?
Thanks again for all the help, and again sorry bout the "dumb" Qs

Dave-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2003, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

bueler, .... anyone, .....anyone, ......bueler, ..... ????

Hey Cartech guys you run a pass side turbo dont you?
What do ya think? 60-1 or 44E , I may wind up buying the kit since that would turn a 6 month project into a 6 week one.... but it remains to be seen....

help.... opinions, observations, etc....

Dave-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement