Anyone use an Air to water setup for street? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By TomR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Anyone use an Air to water setup for street?

I know of one person using an A2W setup on the street. I'm thinking of going turbo and doing this and would like to see anyone else's setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
do you mind if I ask why you are asking this question? Do you already have it and are wondering about the streetability, or weighing options of cooling iat's?

post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Weighing options. Thinking of going turbo on my
Fox. I had an S trim cobra with an FMIC setup blow thru and I loved it but it did limit the airflow to the ac condenser so I'm not looking to do that again. Plus I don't wanna cut my LX bumper.

So far my plans are On3 Hotside, something similar to a Masterpower T70, 60lb injectors, 340 pump, name brand wastegate and bov and a tune via SCT chip. I'm also prob going to add an F cam. This will be in a stock shortblock GT40 heads and Explorer intake. Just something to have a little fun with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 04:02 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (8)
For a streetcar, it is my opinion that A2W isn't efficient. If you are out for extended drives, great! Sitting in traffic, you're just heat soaking the water. I say this as I monitor my IAT's on my truck that has A2W. Not even an electric fan, aftermarket heat exchanger, oversized reservoir, and good pump can keep it cool in SoCal summer. On the road, it's fine! With A2A, you're only battling ambient temperature and airflow. Water is a much better insulator and retains heat much longer.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
I ran a water system in my car with a VW radiator up front. It never got more than 10-20F over ambient. It worked perfect, there is no reason it should be any worse than an A2A and it really should be better.

I use a VW Jetta or Golf radiator because it is sealed. My IC was at the front of the engine, a Frozen boost 26. My type 26 is fully insulated so engine heat does not bother it.

I rarely drive street now so I converted to ice with a plastic tank behind the passenger seat. Even if I don't use ice it keeps temps below 130F. If I use ice my starting intake temps are 45-50F and at 70F after a pass. I run about 800 to the tires off the line ramping to 1350 or so and either system worked fine.

I'd never use anything but water in my cars. I'm building a second faster car and it will be a similar IC setup.
5.0carlo and wytwolf like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I saw a member here who put his cooler in the passenger fender and it looked good and tucked up nice and that's what I was going to do. Also I planned to run box in the batt location and would possibly run ice on occasion. Thanks for the input
post #7 of 9 Old 11-06-2017, 06:03 PM

Garage
My system has evolved over time as I make the car faster. It's nothing today like it was 6 months ago, let alone a year ago.

You can see older pictures of my old intercooler setup with the VW radiator as an exchanger here. It might give you some ideas. As I said, it is an ice system now with an insulated plastic ice tank in the back seat. The trunk is full of fuel cell, battery, CO2, vacuum pump and some electronics so I decided to put the ice tank in the back seat and pump on the rear floor. My IAT is well under 100F now with ice even at 30 psi boost.

Intercooler Design

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
For what its worth, I have never seen an intercooler design thought out as well as TomR's. It's awesome.
Charge piping is no longer than no intercooler at all would be. Mount and workmanship is crazy professional.
I love it!

I tried the same sort of thing with a smaller type 19 (I'd like the type 26, but it was to big to fit along my frame rail where my charge piping runs) intercooler on my rear mount turbo. I felt I already had so much volume in charge piping that I didn't need to add the volume of a A/A intercooler (Although it could be argued that its already so in-efficient that more volume won't make a difference anyway, lol).

stock block 347 w Bullet Forged flat top pistons, TW170 p&p heads, comp 35-775-8 cam, approx 9.6:1 compression, 72mm rear mount turbo, injector clinic 650h injectors, CircleD 2800 stall converter, Lentech valve body.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Corral Elite Member

Hey Tom, What are the dimensions (roughly) on that VW radiator?

Never mind....found it.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!

Last edited by Saleen414; 11-10-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement