how to adjust PSI? and other annoying questions... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2003, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
how to adjust PSI? and other annoying questions...

Hey guys!

Im new to the whole TURBOCHARGER scene, and yea I have visited TURBOMUSTANGS.com , but I cant seem to find some of my questions to be answered, and plus I feel more at home here at the corral.

Im planning on doing twin turbo T2's, I got one T3 coming in the mail, and got one from a SVO(needs bearings,seals).

Well I got my stock headers, which I plan to flip upside down, reason I want use the stock ones, is basically I think that they wont warp or screw up on me. Ya I know they are a little restrictive, but I dont think ~5hp will be such a big loss.

Well My basic Q'n is, who can fab up a intercooler for me, or who has instructions so I can fab up an intercooler out of 2 or 3 DSM(turbo Eclipse) intercoolers? I dont understand how the core is made and If I can weld up sheetmetal directly to the core with 2 openings on one end( and only one opening at the other(to t.b).??

How would I also adjust the PSI? I know through the wastegate, but all I see is a nipple! like a hose connects to it?!?!

Oh ya, whats that nipple and where does it connect to?

woaaaaa your not done yet, one more question!

HOWWWW IN GODS NAME EARTH DO I GET OIL LINES HOOKED UP?!?! and who sell the fittings? Im willing to buy these fitting ASAP from anyone that has them for T3's.

THANKS!
PETE!

oh ya, anyone has any pre-fabbed EXHAUST headers for a turbo?(at least I can fall back somewhere incase my brilliant idea doesnt turn out too good!).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2003, 10:55 PM

the best way to adjust psi is via the exhaust pulley, but having an adjustable boost fluid regulator always helps.

Seriously though, the stock headers will work, but like you said are a bit restrictive. Depending on how much power you plan to make the difference will likely be much more than 5hp. the intercooler can be had from any number of places, any of the kit makers would be able to sell you one of the intercoolers from their kit, I'd probalby go with ITS since they currently make the only street SN95 twin kit on the market. Ditto for the headers, ITS should be able to provide you with those.

For adjusting the boost you'll want get a boost regulator of some sort, there are precisely 150,872 different boost regulators out there that range in price from $5 to $5,000 so it should be a pretty simple choice. You could also adjust the length of the actuator rods that connect the wastegate to the dashpot (wastegate actuator) but I've alwayst thought this left the wastegate hanging open some and would slow spoolup. I've never actually used a T3 with an internal wastegate though so someone will probably correct me on this.

In all honesty, I think you would be better off buying a kit from ITS if you're set on twins, from some of the things in your post it sounds like you are pretty short on the knowledge/skills to be attempting this on your own. Not an attack at all, just an observation.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2003, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

I KNOW I can assemble the turbos together, problem is TUNING, I dont know how to TUNE them properly. I wouldnt want to go and setup the turbos on my mustang, then detonate my motor to go boom!

I figured the rod from the wastegate is adjustable, but I seen lots with them solid, so thats where I got a little stuck.

I dont want more than 425rwhp. 400 is more nominal.

I got the turbos, I got the headers, all I need is welding+tubing and a BOV.

I just wouldnt know how to hook up OIL lines, this is my main concern, I NEED TO FITTINGS!
I also have no idea what the nipple on the wastegate is, and where does it actually hook up to?!?!?!
When I get those 2 questions figured out, I will be set basically!

I plan on spending in the neighborhood of $650 for the setup, so far I got the turbos for under $225, now I just need to weld them up to the headers, and find an intercooler specific for twins!

thanks so much!
PETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow5.0cobra

I got the turbos, I got the headers, all I need is welding+tubing and a BOV.

I just wouldnt know how to hook up OIL lines, this is my main concern, I NEED TO FITTINGS!
I also have no idea what the nipple on the wastegate is, and where does it actually hook up to?!?!?!

PETE
Pete, there needs to be engine oil pressure fed to each turbo AND an oil drain from each turbo back to the engine sump. Typically, a hole is punched into the oil pan and a fitting is installed to accept the drain line hookup. The drain line should be as short as possible, allow gravity to draw oil away from the turbo, and be as large as possible. Oil line feeding each turbo does not have to nearly as large, -4 line size is fine. Most turbo kits use a -4 (3/8") braided line to feed oil to the turbo. Fittings are readily available at any hydraulic supply house or even at most auto supply houses, especially NAPA. I got a bunch of extra fittings if you need them too.

The nipple on the wastegate needs to hook to the turbo compressor housing so the wastegate can sense how much boost the turbo is making. Without a line hooked to the wastegate, the turbo will overrev and overboost the motor badly.
Boost will therefore be controlled by the spring force within the wastegate and the actuator rod length.

Stock headers will support your HP goals easily. Considering Incon's 800 HP twin turbo kit had 1 3/8" ID header size, making your goal of 450 HP will be a walk in the park.

You don't need a BOV just yet, so hold off on that until you get the system running good. Beef up the fuel system WELL before you run the car with boost, the stock fuel pump is woefully inadequate with boost.

How you going to configure the MAF sensor by the way? Going blow thru?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement