Victor Jr's on a turbo 302? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By My96z

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Victor Jr's on a turbo 302?

I lost a head gasket on my stock 165K long block so I am building another motor. I just bought a Explorer short block to send off to the machine shop and have redone with some forged pistons and ARP hardware. I see lots of deals out there for Victor Jr heads. I know they are big, but seems to me that the turbo would take care of that. The car is not a daily driver so I don't mind giving up some drivability if it runs good numbers. I was looking to hear from anyone else who has run a large head on a turbo car and your thoughts. *Stock block be damned.

1991 Mustang LX - 306, Ported Holley Systemax, 11R 190 heads, FTI cam, 70mm TB, On3 Turbo kit w/67mm BB .96a/r, PT 46mm WG, MSD6AL-2. Freddy Brown Built FMVB AOD w/brake, 3K stall. 3.27's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Driveability is all in the cam I think. 190's used to be considered big, but they run like a beast with my setup, and it drives like a kitten.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
First, look at the big picture, are you increasing ci.? If not then their to big, those heads on that size motor, you will need to spend the thing to 7k+ rpms. The runners are huge. 210cc, the biggest anyone would tell you is 205max. 210cc is good on engines with serious ci. Second thing to look at is the exhaust port, it's raised, don't know what kit your running now, but most don't or have to be modified to run a 'high'exhaust port. Third, there is the flow numbers, never look at the peek number because no one sticks a .700in cam in any street car. Max is some where below .600 and at that those flow numbers can be beat by 20yr old iron heads if ported right.

No matter how much boost you pore into those heads will be enough. Again look at the heads, they either ar 60cc or 70cc combustion chambers. For the 60cc you'll have to such a deep dish piston to get to 9/9.5 they would have to be custom made, then the 70cc I think you would be ok somewhere around 10:1.

Considering I ran Canfield 190's on a stock block 302, stick with something smaller and you'll like them better or you will kick your self wishing you would have went smaller and went with a stroker small block.

This is just my opion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (8)
I had planned to run those on my 331, but my tuner doesn't like the Edelbrock stuff with boost. Says they're too soft and lift under boost. Granted, I don't know how much boost you'd need to do that, probably more than the stock block could ever handle. As luck would have it, the heads got stolen, so I moved onto a pair of Dart Pro 1's, and now AFR 205's. AFR's have something like a 3/4" deck thickness, so no worry there.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
After some more thinking, I am just going to go with the Trick Flow 190 11Rs.

Thanks again.
wytwolf likes this.

1991 Mustang LX - 306, Ported Holley Systemax, 11R 190 heads, FTI cam, 70mm TB, On3 Turbo kit w/67mm BB .96a/r, PT 46mm WG, MSD6AL-2. Freddy Brown Built FMVB AOD w/brake, 3K stall. 3.27's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement