Car is running with the T64 - tuning questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Car is running with the T64 - tuning questions

Finally got the Cartech T64 on and the car seems to be running pretty good. It pulls like crazy. What a difference. The fuel curve seems a little rich. I think there is plenty of power needing to be tuned out of the setup.

I have no signs of detonation running 10' of base timing. I would like to lean up the air fuel a little. I am currently running a steady 38lbs of fuel pressure, with no drop through the entire RPM band. Would dropping the FP help? What about adjusting the wastegate to use more of the fuel I am dumping into the motor? Are either of these viable options?

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 12:03 AM

I would make sure that you get it on a dyno before you start playing to much. Chance's are you mass air curve is rich with the 80mm so you would need to tune that out with a chip or by lowering the fuel pressure. I would go with a chip because the computers have the ability to compensate for changes in fuel pressure, at least that is what some claim I can't say I've had personal experience.

I myself use an eec tuner with a dyno and wideband to tune my bad boy. If your up to it this is the best way to go, its fun but you got to take is slowly so nothing blows.

my .02
Anthony

90 Gt 331 FTI combo, AFR 165cc and eec tuner.

Coming soon - a quality paint job
In the distance - me wants a turbo
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Re: Car is running with the T64 - tuning questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Catfish
Finally got the Cartech T64 on and the car seems to be running pretty good. .....I am currently running a steady 38lbs of fuel pressure, with no drop through the entire RPM band.
Not sure if you mean that the base FP is 38 psi BUT does add 1 psi of FP per pound of boost. That how it should work though as a minimum.

I got the same setup as you, as I recently upgraded the turbo on my SS kit to the T64. Midrange is much improved over the T44 turbo the kit comes with stock.

How much boost you run so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

38lbs is the base with the vacum line off the regulator.

As I sit here, I can't remember putting the vacum line back on, so who knows.

I've seen 8-9 lbs on the gauge at about 3000rpm. My combo isn't really optimized for the turbo. I've got a 3.73 rear end, and the car revs through first so fast it bounces of the rev limiter before I can shift. The factory tach can't even keep up. It pulls real hard in second, though. Of course, I already plan on turning up the boost his weekend.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 03:50 PM

might want to check the vacuum line before the motor burns up. as far as going thru first gear fast.....thats the general idea.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 03:51 PM

2 for 1.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it was on. The timing spout was in as well. I turned the FP down to 32lbs, and the headers still glowed. They are not glowing near the head, only down by the collector (where the crossover connects) I would think if it was fuel, the headers would glow closer to the head. Anyway, i am going to turn the pressure up to about 35-36 and leave it there.

The way the car runs, I am thinking there has to be a vacum leak somewhere. I may just replace all the vacum lines.

The other possibility is that I did not seal up the holes in the back of the heads well enough when I took out all the air lines. I may need to make a couple of plates to make sure the holes are covered.

Mike Smith
post #8 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 05:53 PM

Cool

Ford has special plugs for those holes. I would definitely check it out on the dyno before more "palying" is done. Better safe than sorry. Coughing up $100 is easier than coughing up $100 plus for HGs and the like.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2003, 02:39 AM

Um, ya, you need to put the plugs in those holes..... Headers glowing is usually a timing issue, are you sure its at 10 btdc and not like 10atdc or something with the spout out?

99 black cobra built bottom end, ported NAVI heads, cams, etc. n/a w/n20
93 white coupe- 306ci, 14psi s-trim, tko600
'06 black Subaru STI- spec clutch, blizzak snow tires, 475hp on 91 octane.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2003, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I sealed the air line hook ups at the back of the heads. I was just thinking that one could be leaking. They are hard to see without a mirror.

I've done some more tinkering and the car seems to be running much better. I've got a high idle, but I haven't reset the idel control yet and I have two 3/16" holes in the throttle plate. The holes were to help the idle after a previous set of modifications. I think the tune in the new chip emiminated the need for them, so now it is just too much air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement