Which motor mounts for best On3 Foxbody fitment? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boostup89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Which motor mounts for best On3 Foxbody fitment?

I have a 91' LX I am installing a On3 turbo kit on to. During the install I noticed my motor mounts are shot. Especially the passenger side which collapsed onto itself. I did some digging here and read that the convertible mounts are the way to go, so I went to the local parts store and bought a set of convertible mounts made by Anchor. I also see that they will lower my engine which may help with the downpipe passing under the firewall - but will they hurt other areas?

Guys that have installed the On3 foxbody kits, do you think I will be better off with the stock type mounts with the motor up a bit higher (ive read about 3/4" difference between the convertible and hardtop mounts)? I can take these vert mounts back and get the hardtop ones if you guys say they are better to go with.

As my car sits now, the passenger motor mount the metal parts of the mount are nearly touching due to the deterioration of the rubber in the mount. Also I see the lower part of my fan shroud is broken away I assume by the collapseing mount. I have only had the car a few months and have driven it very little and haven't noticed the mounts. I started to have a clunking during shifts after I installed my Freddy Brown built AOD. I am pretty sure the motor mount is causing it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
I'm running super cheap eBay motor mounts. You actually cannibalize your OEM mounts, than bolt these in place, reusing the block side of the mount. They look cheap and crappy, but fit absolutely great. No fittament issues with my on3 stuff.

My96z likes this.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Mine worked fine with stock mounts and energy low mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I'm using energy suspension mounts. its close on the passenger side but fits
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

After looking at it more, I decided to go with the hardtop mounts. I thought it would give me more clearance along the passenger side frame rail and down by the trans where the downpipe goes. Went with parts store replacements. Anchor brand from O'Reilly's. Once I got them replaced (PITA) my motor sits at least an inch higher. My old mounts were trashed. Got them out and they fell apart. I can tell that's what took out the bottom of my radiator shroud.

My passenger header fit, but I didn't feel comfortable with where the header runs near the passenger frame rail. I ground out some of that lip to make more room for the motor to rock.

Got the headers bolted up. On to the crossover and to mount the turbo. I dread the coldside.

P.S Tried to post some pics, but it seems that photobucket really sucks now. Any recommendations for a image hosting site?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Sounds like you are making good progress. The hardest part about the cold side install is having to trim the inner fender area where the charge pipe connects to the throtlle body. Once you get everything test fitted, clean the pipes really good, and get some hair spray out.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostup89 View Post
Sounds like you are making good progress. The hardest part about the cold side install is having to trim the inner fender area where the charge pipe connects to the throtlle body. Once you get everything test fitted, clean the pipes really good, and get some hair spray out.
Do you think the cold side/intercooler can be installed without taking the nose off the car? I know it would make it a lot easier but that seems like a lot of work. I am working in my dirt/gravel drive way

So far the install isn't too bad. Lots of work. I just take it in small pieces as I don't have the patience I used to lol.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Taking the "nose" off a foxbody really isn't as daunting as it sounds. After you do it once, it's about a 15 minute job for the second time.
Fairly straightforward, hardest part in my opinion is the 3 or 4 bolts inside each fender attaching to the front bumper cover.

Doing this is a major PITA saver. Not a must, but well encouraged.

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2017, 01:45 PM

A buddy and I put his kit together with the nose off (lx car) on my car we left the nose on (GT car) it's pretty much a wash.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I ended up taking the nose off. It was actually really simple. I had it off in 15 min. lol

Hot side is in. One thing of concern is the driver side crossover pipe is really close to the sway bar... less than 1/4" clearance. Maybe it will interfere, maybe it wont. I guess we'll see.

Waiting for my Precision Turbo waste gate to come in. Have to figure out some wiring routing, and figure out the plug wire routing. I see some guys use shielding some don't. I can start on the cold side. I also noticed my radiator support is banged up good. Gonna get the TeamZ unit, but that's later when I can move the car to a place to get it welded.

I'm gonna try and mount the intercooler up higher so I don't have to cut the lower lip of the nose off. Do you think if I can get the intercooler up to just under the bumper struts it will fit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement