Air to Air or Air to Water???? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-28-2003, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Air to Air or Air to Water????

What's the best intercooler for a turbo system, air to air or air to water?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-28-2003, 03:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
depends on use.

for daily drivieng and street use .

air to air

for race use .. air to watter where you can add ice between rounds and actualy get bellow ambient temperature.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-28-2003, 12:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
have you seen the NX kit that sprays CO2 or NO2 directly onto the air-air intercooler? That sounds like the best of both worlds. You could easily make your own setup with a solenoid and tank.

Alan
'89 GT (331, Canfields, FAST EFI, T-70, Griggs GR-40) 550rwhp/640rwtq @ 15psi 91 octane
'98 M3 /4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Air to air works good with a good front mount and always on electric fan.

2000 GT auto Metallic Green
Flowmaster
[email protected]
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Don't forget what I call "intercooler in a bottle".... water injection. It is always there and is just as effective whether the car is moving, standing still or you just made three back to back passes. It's cheap to buy and install and water is free. It will cool intake air temperatures to below ambient and depending on boost levels 100+ degree temperature drops are common. Also, while it's doing all these wonderful things it will steam clean the combustion chambers until they are carbon free.

'89 LX 5.0L, T-56; SVO Ceramic Shorties; Ultraflow Cat-Back; 1.7 SVO Rockers; Pro-M 75mm MAF; 42# injectors; 75mm Throttle Body/EGR; 3.55 FMS Gears; GT40-X heads (64cc/ported); #2031 Cam; 12 psi Kenne Bell 2200 w/ Flowzilla; SMC W/A Injection; J&S Timing Controller; TwEECer RT; DIY-WB
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Founder corral.net

One of the nice things about Air-Water is that you can get away with less plumbing because you can put the aftercooler where you want it without having to duct boosted air all over the car. It's easier to route smaller water lines to a heat exchanger in the front of the car than to have lines going into and out of a front-mounted air-air aftercooler.

The other cool thing with air-water is that you can indeed fill your water reservoir with ice water. Driving around town you get about the same temperature reduction as with an air-air.

From what I've seen an air-water aftercooler yields a much more compact installation.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2003, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Don't forget what I call "intercooler in a bottle".... water injection. It is always there
Untill the resevoir runs out and you burn holes in the pistons going up I-70 in Colorado at around 8500 feet.

2000 GT auto Metallic Green
Flowmaster
[email protected]
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kermita12060
Untill the resevoir runs out and you burn holes in the pistons going up I-70 in Colorado at around 8500 feet.
I have a 1/2 gallon tank and using a 1M-3M nozzle have never had the tank go dry. I change the water just to keep it fresh. The SMC kit also has a low reservior indicator light so when the tank gets below a third full it lights up. I use windshield cleaning solution in the winter to keep the tank from freezing.

Using a 1M nozzle and a 1/2 gallon tank provides approximately 30 minutes of spray. That is allot of time for an engine under boost. Also, it isn't hard to use a larger tank. A five gallon tank in the trunk should last months unless you're driving conditions cause the engine to see boost for hours and hours a day.

Water injection may not be for everyone but it is a viable, proven and effective way to cool the intake charge and prevent detonation. Plus when you factor in how inexpensive and easy to install a DIY setup or kit is it becomes even more attractive.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2003, 02:15 PM

I know that you can use acetone and CO2 to produce temps of
-100* You could use this to ice down your air to air cooler between rounds and could also be a alternative to icing down your intake. I am just unsure what stresses this would impose on the metal. However it would keep you from getting water in your ignition system for the coil-on-ignition guys. Just be carefull not to freeze your TB or your buddy. BTW, I have not done this before I just know of the chemical reaction and have thought of a few ways that it could be used. you can use fingernail polish remover and a CO2 fire extinguisher, however I have been thinking that the cartridges from an air gun would be easier to obtain. Not to mention less messy.

98 chrome Yellow Cobra
Old #'s 292RWHP 307 RWTQ IRS, T-56, Single Turbo
97 Crystal White V6 auto
291 RWHP/ 298 RWTQ Sold

Last edited by workmangc; 02-18-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement