Question about wrapping a turbos exhaust system - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question about wrapping a turbos exhaust system

Has anyone ever done that.. If so, did it increase your turbo's rate of spool.. Did it cause your exhaust pipes to crack..

The idea is very appealing to me.. I've always used and believed in the stuff, cause there is no doubt it greatly lowers underhood temps.. I'm just not sure about doing a turbo setup, with all the the issues they have with exhaust sealing and cracking.. Or how about "too much heat" being retained in the turbo.. Is that a problem..

I think one of the things that holds back the use of exhaust wrap, is that it can look ugly.. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that when it's done neatly and then coated with a sealent.. It doesn't look half bad.. Below are the headers on my KB setup..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 12:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I think you would be better off to get the pipes ceramic coated. The wrap tends to cause moisture buildup and can rust the tubes....unless they are stainless.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by forced347
I think you would be better off to get the pipes ceramic coated. The wrap tends to cause moisture buildup and can rust the tubes....unless they are stainless.

Force, I hear what you're saying and I have heard that to.. But it has not been my experience.. Here is what I've seen.. If you put sealent on the wrap, it doesn't get water soaked.. And if you don't drive thru puddles and then park your car.. I don't see how they could hold moisture very long, even with bare wrap..The temps are too high for water to hang around very long..

My turbo kits pipeing is already ceramic coated, but I anticipate that I'm going to have to do some cutting and rewelding.. Since the kit was originally for a 302 and I'm going to putting it on a 351 motor.. Wrapping on the pipes will hide the fresh cuts and rewelds..

What about wrap crytalizing the metal from excess heat retention.. I've heard this, but I've never seen it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 01:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bellman Jeff

What about wrap crytalizing the metal from excess heat retention.. I've heard this, but I've never seen it..
Every mild steel turbo header I have ever seen wrapped, all crumbled when removed.
I remember Bryan saying when he took his off, the only thing that kept the header together was thewrap.
We did a set up on a F-150 a year ago and Tony wrapped his (against my advice) and when we went to remove the headers to put some new heads on them, his passenger side header looked like a cracked windshield!
Just my experiences, maybe someone else has had better luck.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Alex... I'm sorry the hear the things you had to say.. But tell me this.. Were these vehicles daily driven street cars.. And do you think on a drag "only" car, they would have lasted if wrapped..
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 09:28 PM

Totally unrelated to the topic, but forced347 you have one of the nicest and by far the cleanest for I have ever seen
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Alex... Were these vehicles daily driven street cars.. And do you think on a drag "only" car, they would have lasted if wrapped..
The "Bryan' i'm speaking of Bryan Sharer (with the fairmont) and I think he was driving his car pretty regularly at that point (though I'm sure he was solidly in the 10's) maybe he'll chime in. Tony's truck was daily driver/hauler but it ran so damn well with the set up (especially after we repinned the harness and put in a Fox computer set up) that he pretty much went radical with it and bough him a beater to work out of.
Would they have lasted wrapped on a track only vehicle, I don't really know. But look at it from this stand point, have you ever seen a race set up with wrapped headers? I haven't (not yet any way).

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex in Houston
have you ever seen a race set up with wrapped headers? I haven't (not yet any way).
Well, I have seen one..But it was a naturally asperated Pro Stock Truck.. And I asked the guy if it helped..And he said "every little bit helps"..And left it at that..

I like it cause it protects your hoses and wireing.. And is makes it easier to work on a hot motor..If I were building a N/A or supercharged motor, I'd use it without hesistation.. But, I can remember being on the top end at night.. And watching some turbocharged bikes coming thru.. All of them had their headers glowing red.. I'm wondering is that's just to much heat to try and contain..
post #9 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Well, I have seen one..But it was a naturally asperated Pro Stock Truck.
LOL, i was talking a turbo race/track vehicle.
I have never seen/read/surfed one that even had that blanket thingy for the turbo.

Quote:
I like it cause it protects your hoses and wireing..
I have the spark plug boot covers on my plug wires and all my car wiring is in the fender well. Not like that was needed I just liked the look

Quote:
But, I can remember being on the top end at night.. And watching some turbocharged bikes coming thru.. All of them had their headers glowing red.. I'm wondering is that's just to much heat to try and contain..
I've only had my hood open once at nite after a full throttle run. It was after i blasted (I mean I wasted this new vette) this guy on the freeway about a year ago. We ran for about a mile and I exited at this truck stop and me and my brother are busting a gut. The Vette pulls in after/behhind us really hard. I'm telling my brother to get his game face on as I trust no one not related to me. The vette driver turns out to be cooer then a fan and asked what size "shot" I had. I popped the hood and my headers were glowing in the middle of each primary.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:

Last edited by Alex in Houston; 01-27-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement