On3 turbo kit 306 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
On3 turbo kit 306

I decided to go ahead and turbo my 89. The engine has about 3k miles since rebuild it's a 306 with tfs twisted wedge heads and gt40 intake "for now" and the stock cam. my question is what do you guys think is better to do stay with the stock cam or get an Anderson b41? I can't find any info on this cam I only know it's meant for boost. What other things will it benefit me in that the stock cam wouldn't? I only plan to make around 450 whp and going to use 3.27 gears is that a good gear with the cam? Also it's a t-5 car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have heard of guys making that number on stock cam... just look at neomustangs on youtube.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
The stock cam will be fine for turbo. it's gonna make 450 through a T5 pretty easily regardless of the cam so I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing it. Most I would do is install 1.7 rockers but that even probably won't make much of a difference. 3.27's are okay, but I think you'll maybe want less gear with a 5spd and turbo. I'd run it and see, then maybe grab some 3.08's down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Seems like I'll keep the stock cam then! And I'll try the 3.27 since I already have a rear end from an sn95 with those gears in it so since I'm going 5 lug I'll just put that rear end in it. Thanks guys I'm new to the forum appreciate the help.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 10:06 AM

No problem. let us know if you run into anything else along the way. I also have a 306 with an on3 kit (Magnum Performance turbo though).
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
5.0 thunder what are you using to tune? Been looking into running one of the on3 kits... if it was you would you do it again or what would you want to change?

thanks
post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you stick with the on3 turbo make sure to get the .81 or .96 ar.
It comes with the .68 it'll choke your motor in the upper rpms.

As far as problems; get some arp studs with the 12 point heads, drill out the bolt holds on the headers, new header gaskets I used a remflex and copper rtv both have worked, new v band clamps from Racepart solutions, only ones that I used from on3 where on the y pipe so you'll need
2- 3" clamps and 1- 2.5" clamp.

Go ahead and get the slotted maf welded in,I have a C&L and the placement isn't the greatest.
What's your fuel system consist of?

93 Stock short block,on3 70mm turbo,Performer heads, Almighty B cam, Typhoon intake. Dynamic comp1 c4, PTC 10"
402/[email protected] lbs.
Tuned with BE & EA..
Formally"1slow93fox"
post #8 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrain vandy View Post
5.0 thunder what are you using to tune? Been looking into running one of the on3 kits... if it was you would you do it again or what would you want to change?

thanks
I bought a PNP Megasquirt MS2 kit they were offering before the current microsquirt-based MS2 (all tunes the same). I didn't want to deal with MAFs, finding a tuner, getting it retuned for every little modification, etc. and I ultimately wanted to learn how to tune on my own. So far, it has done everything I've wanted/needed it to do and it has served the purpose I intended it to serve. It was a steep learning curve but there is a lot of information out there and people (especially the retailers) are very helpful. I now have another car running the same ECU for a custom TBI-Roots blown 302.

It really depends on your goals. If you don't really care to tune yourself and want the quickest route to a good running turbo car, you should probably grab an SCT chip and go to the local tuner or maybe try a mail-in Bama chip. Although it'll cost you probably $1000 for the custom tune, it'll have you tearing up the streets in no time.

If it was me doing it all over again, I'd do the exact same thing but try to learn more before flogging on my car. 2 sets of head gaskets on my stock engine and a new engine shipped here from Massachusetts taught me the hard way to not be over-confident.. Through all the stock engine mods, the new engine, and even a conversion to e85 though, I've kept the same ECU and only needed to make adjustments myself. That's one of the great things about a standalone ECU.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM

As far as the gaskets and drilling the header holes, I didn't go that route. I chose to get the caulking-sized bottle of Red RTV for $12 and just use that on my header flanges and turbo T4 flange. Never leaks, takes the heat, and I don't constantly scrap gaskets. Per my above post, I did a few sets of head gaskets and have removed this kit a couple more times for various reasons and it made me appreciate the RTV. Those remflex gaskets are expensive. lol I used all the supplied V-band clamps, wastegate/bov, etc. from the kit and all has been fine with them.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

What fuel pump would you recommend?

post #11 of 11 Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modesto escobedo View Post
What fuel pump would you recommend?
It depends on your power goals but I first ran an Aeromotive 340 stealth and it burned up withing 25 miles so I replaced it with a walbro 450 and have been fine ever since. The 450 can move WAY more fuel than I needed but they're like $100 and as reliable as OEM. It does require the pump hanger to be modified though in order to fit the big "bell shaped" bottom of it. If you're shooting for 450 on pump gas, a walbro 255 would be okay I believe, with 42lb injectors. For more, I'd look at the walbro 450.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement