People with TURBO KITS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2003, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
People with TURBO KITS

Im just wondering a few questions for all u turbo guys.

First off, Can someone tell me the advantages of having an external waste gate? Im looking at 35mm tial waste gate?

And how important is ceramic coating?

Would a single t76 turbo be streetable, and where do u think u would see full boost?

What type of power levels would a t3\to4e hybrid that are 50 trim be capable of, their twins by the way?

From your kit, is their anything u would of changed?

whats the most important thing about a turbo car?

Thanks for all your time Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2003, 07:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
1. No. Someone who knows about something about turbos could answer that.
2. There is a lot of exhaust plumbing snaking around under the hood. The ceramic coating helps control the heat. You could spend the same money on heat wrap, but it's ugly and almost as expensive. Or you could just have a real hot engine bay.
3. Somewhere I read that a single T-76 could split a stock block like a coconut. I guess it's streetable, but I think it is kinda big. the bigger the turbo, the longer it takes to spool up and delivey full boost.
4. See answer one.
5. Well, I changed the routing of the intake piping slightly. I guess it is more accurate to say I am in the middle of changing it. My welding helmet broke (auto darkning) and at $250 a pop, I am waiting for the company to fix it under warranty. Other than that, Cartech (if I can use the brand name) builds a good fitting system.
6. Enough fuel, a well designed and balanced set up, and a good tune.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2003, 01:02 PM

Re: People with TURBO KITS

Quote:
Originally posted by Coilz347
First off, Can someone tell me the advantages of having an external waste gate? Im looking at 35mm tial waste gate?

Heat is the biggest killer of wastegate diapharms.. And when a wastegate is incorperated into the turbine housing, they are exposed to full exhaust heat at all times..An external gate only has to deal with radiant heat, and whats transfer thru it's pipeing.. It only gets full heat when it asked to bleed of exhaust pressure to regulate boost..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 08:01 PM

Internal wastegates exist because they are small and quiet. OEM is what its all about. Most are not daisy delicate either. They are made to handle boost.
If you ever heard a stock Supra, you wouldnt know its blown. The owners always change them.

2000 GT auto Metallic Green
Flowmaster
[email protected]
post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 01:11 PM

Re: People with TURBO KITS

Quote:
Originally posted by Coilz347
Im just wondering a few questions for all u turbo guys.

And how important is ceramic coating?

Would a single t76 turbo be streetable, and where do u think u would see full boost?

What type of power levels would a t3\to4e hybrid that are 50 trim be capable of, their twins by the way?

From your kit, is their anything u would of changed?

whats the most important thing about a turbo car?

Thanks for all your time Greg
A T-76 is perfectly streetable. I have driven over 6K miles with mine and have taken a 800 mile round trip to Maine from Long Island without an problems. I also did this in 90+ degree temps with a passenger(wife), luggage and A/C on the entire trip. I see full boost at about 3600 rpms with a 3200 stall converter. It's hard to tell because the tires smoke so easily in 1st & 2nd before it reaches 7 psi.

Turbocharged 99 GT - SOLD 2003
2004 Black Ford Expedition EB - Sold 2008
Mobile Auto Repair Business Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement