Power level of turbo kits - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Power level of turbo kits

I am looking to buy a turbo kit in the near future for my 347. What kind of power levels and timeslips are the different kits offering? I figure I can take the power it makes on a stock 5.0 and safely bet to myself that I will make that amount or better. The main kit that I am currently looking at is the Cartech SS, but I have never seen info for cars using this kit on stock heads.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

I just read this in a different post:

"Some of us would like to help with a suggestion but we cant.

If we comment on a certain company, then other people sometimes tend to get upset because we did not state the company they like.

Its seriously political. I can tell you this. One of those two companies you mentioned is very good, and the other is not.

Choose your weapon."

PLEASE message me if there is something that I need to know but you don't want anyone else to read. Anything messaged to me is read by my eyes and my eyes alone.

post #3 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 08:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I wouldn't worry about all that. There are a few "different" people around here. It's part of the charm of the board. Anyway...

I am new to the turbo scene as well. I am almost done installing a Cartech SS kit on my 94. I didn't buy it from them, so, as I have said, I can't comment on their delivery times, promise keeping ability, etc.

I can say that the parts all fit. I did cut a couple of small holes in my fender to make it easier to get at a couple of bolt. I also removed a small bit of "extra" metal (nothing important) to make the intercooler plumbing run easier. Also, I got rid of the air pump and associated plumbing. The rest of the install went very smooth. All the parts are good quality. I did cut and re-weld the intake tube so that I can still use my crossmember, but I do not think Cartech intends the crossmember to stay.

Now, I can't answer your question about the amount of power it will make. Hopefully next week I post something along the line of "This turbo kicks ***". The kit I have has the upgraded T-64, and that turbo is rated to around 750 hp, as I recall. There is a sticky up top that gives that info. The guys at JMS (they are doing my chip) run turbos, and they say that at 10lb of boost, a turbo is good for about 50 MORE hp than a supercharger. I have seen plenty of guys running 8lb superchargers making 400rwhp with aluminum heads, etc. With my 306, forged pistons, etc, I am anticipating 400 - 450 rwhp. I my run into some cam problems, as I hear the stock cam is great for a turbo, but we will see. Anyway, with a 347, I would say 500rwhp is not out of the question. That is more than enough to break a lot of stuff!

Good luck!

I just reread your post - a 347 with stock heads? That seems like an odd combination. Did I read that correctly?

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-23-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I have the shortblock and I am trying to spread the cash in such a way as to maximize output. I will most likely switch to AFR 185s but I know that there will be unseen costs, dime mods add up and my college budget is a little tight.
post #5 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 03:39 PM

Just about any performance upgrade is going to nickle and dime you. Ask my wife. "Come on honey, just another $100 and the car will be running". She got tired of that game about $500 ago.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I would think heads would be your number one bang for the buck modification. Anything you need to add with the heads, you are going to need with the turbo. Besides, the power you make with the turbo will break stuff. I can't wait to tell the wife I need to buy a new clutch/tranny/drive shft/rear end.
post #6 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Re: Power level of turbo kits

Quote:
Originally posted by Nestromo
I am looking to buy a turbo kit in the near future for my 347. What kind of power levels and timeslips are the different kits offering? I figure I can take the power it makes on a stock 5.0 and safely bet to myself that I will make that amount or better. The main kit that I am currently looking at is the Cartech SS, but I have never seen info for cars using this kit on stock heads.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Jonathan
http://www.cartech.net/fordtest.htm
post #7 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 07:38 PM

Preston, please do not spam these message boards.
post #8 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 08:26 PM

With all due respect twinturbosaleen we have a set of rules and guidelines on this website.

I will kindly ask that you adhere to them, as well as Preston.

His post of any URL only to his company website we deem as spam, period, which is not allowed by any company, including paying advertisers.

This is an outstanding rule, for the past 8 years.
post #9 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 08:57 PM

nestromo: check this out http://www.cartech.net/fordtest.htm

C'mon preston what were you thinkin?

ATTN: moderator, just so we're all clear is it ok to "pump" your company as long as you dont show a URL?

Last edited by Superskwrl; 01-23-2003 at 09:06 PM.
post #10 of 32 Old 01-23-2003, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Anyone feel free to PM me.

Laser Red '95 GT with under 30k miles. Slow turd but pretty. Down for upgrades for the next few months.
post #11 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 02:11 AM

ohh I C

So paying advertisers are allowed to have people who were paid employes of them, who did work for them to produce something for a fee, then pretend to want to do a "unbiased review" of there products

then hype there stuff and pretend to know something about turbos by plaugerizeing another site and claiming it was there own info all the while lying to the general public of the coral and BEING CAUGHT in that lie still stay as a admin

You just can't link to your site if your not paying I get it.

OK was just wondering how it went.

glad you cleared that up.
post #12 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 02:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Quote:
Originally posted by mustang

His post of any URL only to his company website we deem as spam, period, which is not allowed by any company, including paying advertisers.
https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=188425

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=158776

You were saying? Before the power adder forum got split, there were about 100 more where those came from.

If that ain't spam, I don't know what is. Atleast Preston put something on the table. Instead of "WE'RE HAVING A BLOWOUT ( ) ON TURBO KITS. WE DON'T BELIEVE IN GPs (another--> ). YOU PAY BOTTOM DOLLAR FOR TOP QUALITY PARTS.

Come on!!
post #13 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Wow. 3 things....

That Cartech SS is pretty badass.

I don't think Preston did anything wrong, he just sent a link to the EXACT thing that I asked for, he didn't make a suggestion like "Here, this might work well for you". I see the need for the rule and it definately has a place but I think that he was just helping me out on this one.

TTSaleen, did you post something that got deleted from this thread? If so just PM me whatever info you were attempting to post.

Mustang, I know you are just doing your job. Everybody hates cops, and everyone hates getting robbed.

Laser Red '95 GT with under 30k miles. Slow turd but pretty. Down for upgrades for the next few months.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 10:47 AM

I don't consider what Preston posted to be spam at all. The original poster asked about power and Preston posted a link to a test they performed. If he or someone from let's say JoeBlow's Super Duper Turbo, Inc. started posting unsolicited info about their kits and pricing(like I've seen happen) then I'd consider that spam. I've never seen Preston do that, though.

Shane Hill
90lx with a 304ci 4v, Turbo400, and 105mm turbo
Thanks to TranzKing, MMR, BS3, Don Bailey, Team Z, and Wolfe Racecraft
post #15 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 10:50 AM

Mustang....good job being unbiased.

Nestromo was just asking for help and Preston did just that. Seems a lot better than some of you other post on this board.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 11:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Isn't the definition of SPAM an unsolicited email or post?

Since the guy was specifically asking about the Cartech kit and Preston gave a link to results from a similar setup, I'm lost as to how that is SPAM?

It's not like he came on here and started a thread saying "hey come check out the results of the cartech kit"....and again, even that's been done 1000x times.

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
post #17 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 11:51 AM

Guys, its the rules. Obey them, or please move on to other threads until we set the POC correctly.

Contributing to a thread is great, but dont just post a link to your company website with nothing said.

Chris is trying to set up a good course of action to follow for everyone, just bear with us.

If you can not understand this, I cant help you. Its not to much of us here at the Corral to ask.

I have no issue with anyone stating there postions on this, and its welcomed, but DO NOT attack my character. I do not attack yours, please extend me the same courtesy.

Last edited by mustang; 01-24-2003 at 11:56 AM.
post #18 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by mustang
I have no issue with anyone stating there postions on this, and its welcomed, but DO NOT attack my character. I do not attack yours, please extend me the same courtesy.
I've pretty much stayed out of this whole debacle, but followed along the whole thing. That statement is Don't say it isn't.

Preston did nothing wrong, gave him a link to exactly what he asked for. Preston, shame on you for not writing "This is what they can do:"

Also, nothing against Carson, I respect him and his company, he is full of great information, but I never see you ***** at him for all the posts and pics etc. about his company. What gives

Find it.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 01-24-2003 at 08:51 PM.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 09:09 PM

hmm

then why doesnt carson have to follow the rules?

he posts about his kits and company all the time

OH wait thats rigth he gave you a free kit to review ..

forgot about the you give something then you get something bit.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 09:14 PM

Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen

Now now! hehe

Hey, are you any relation to the other guy with the same username but with a lot more posts

post #21 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 09:38 PM

Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen

twinturbosaleen, I will say this one last time to you.

I will no longer tolerate any harrassment from you. This will be your last warning.

Carson, did NOT send me anything. Carson is having The Corral review his kit. Thats it, end of discussion.

I am not involved with the review, thats not even me doing the review, get your story straight.
post #22 of 32 Old 01-24-2003, 10:57 PM

My father is stronger than yours

R331 GT47
post #23 of 32 Old 01-25-2003, 12:21 PM

Geeeeeeez......

Someone really really really needs to get laid....

Pointless arguments over a link, that not only benfited Nestromo, but me as well, since I am looking at that specific turbo in action.
post #24 of 32 Old 01-26-2003, 05:41 PM

Cartech Preston, Thanks for the link. I read this entire thread and this and 2 other posts were the only one's related to the subject that I am intrested.

Admin: Preston sent a relivant link to the exact information that someone was asking about his company. In no way would I consider this spam. I can not tell you how disapointed I am that The Corral has got such a sour attitude!

94 GT 5.0 [email protected]
Ram Air, K&N, Shorty Headers,H-pipe with cats,MSD TFI Blaster coil,puleys, centerforce Dual friction,Dallas Mustang Chip, KYB all around, cross drilled rotors, Z-Spec tranny, taylor wires
post #25 of 32 Old 01-26-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian94GT
Cartech Preston, Thanks for the link. I read this entire thread and this and 2 other posts were the only one's related to the subject that I am intrested.

Admin: Preston sent a relivant link to the exact information that someone was asking about his company. In no way would I consider this spam. I can not tell you how disapointed I am that The Corral has got such a sour attitude!
Brian, please don't let "mustang's" attitude reflect on the whole corral as a site.
post #26 of 32 Old 01-26-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

post #27 of 32 Old 01-29-2003, 12:26 AM

this is for mustang, dont know you, never talked to you just read what you post. you are a ****ing Scmuck! grow up, you power tripping pre adolescent. kick the tires and light the fires!!
post #28 of 32 Old 01-29-2003, 09:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Wow, that was an intelligent, mature post

You guys who are BIASED really crack me up...you don't know Christian, but you let your keyboard courage come up with all these wonderful statements.

He's only a moderator...he does what he is told by the OWNER of the board...

Glad to see none of you have the b lls to attack Chris - especially since it was HIS decision for Mustang to make the post.

While I don't agree with them slamming Preston (and I'm anything but a Cartech fan) while others can clearly spam their kits (ie IC twin thread), how about focusing your immature aggression in the proper place....

Absolutely pathetic...

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
post #29 of 32 Old 01-29-2003, 09:52 AM

Guys, in all seriousness, I apologize for offending people.

For what its worth, I ask for a break on some of this and I apologize to those people that I may have offended.

Hope we can move on, and learn to co-exist on the site.
post #30 of 32 Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM

Why do these threads always wonder so far off the subject. Its almost like if you can't get your answer in the first three, might as well give because the subject you started isn't subject anymore..

Oh well, I have a Cartech SS with T63e, I'm making 450 at the wheels on 13 pounds of boost. GT40 intake and roush iron heads.
Everything else is stock..

Pnyxxpress
post #31 of 32 Old 01-29-2003, 10:57 PM

Nestromo,

My, my! You weren't expecting to generate such a squabble on this forum, were you?

Do you drive your car on the street? Often? Is your car drag-only car, or is it a daily driver?

My answer to your intelligent and sincere question is that there are a few well-designed turbocharger kits for you to choose from, any of which are capable of grenading your engine.

Surf the forums and advertisers, research and plan your engine configuration as needed.

Be realistic about your expectations, you will have to pay to play.

89 GT conv., Incon 800 turbo
post #32 of 32 Old 01-30-2003, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by georgeturbox2
Nestromo,

My, my! You weren't expecting to generate such a squabble on this forum, were you?

Do you drive your car on the street? Often? Is your car drag-only car, or is it a daily driver?

My answer to your intelligent and sincere question is that there are a few well-designed turbocharger kits for you to choose from, any of which are capable of grenading your engine.

Surf the forums and advertisers, research and plan your engine configuration as needed.

Be realistic about your expectations, you will have to pay to play.
Double-D my good man, this thing has got to take me to college and back 4 days per week. I don't have the car yet, because I am still making the decision...Fox or SN95. Once I know for sure (leaning toward the SN95) I will sell my car and buy the Stang. Patience. I think I am just gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and go JYTT. I can spend the extra on a T56.... or some truly badass AFRs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement