want to build a 331 turbo motor!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-20-2003, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
want to build a 331 turbo motor!!

I am looking to build or get built a 331 shortblock that will be used with a custom twin turbo setup. I am planning on used two T3 turbos. I am looking for low compression so I can run a fair amount of boost, probably between 8:1 and 8.5:1. I am going to use my current TFS TW heads with this motor. I am looking to either build my own motor or get a shortblock built. I have never built the bottom end of a motor before. I am a little afraid of spending like 1200 on a kit and then not doing it right and bye bye motor. If I were to get a shortblock built I want it to have pistons that will work with my heads so that I can run a lot of lift with no problems. Who would be the best to buy a motor from that could build it for low compression and with pistons that will work well with my heads?? How hard honestly is it to build a bottom end?? What would be an ok block to build it with? would the svo sportsman block be able to handle 550 rwhp or so? I don't really have the money to spend on the R302 block. thanks in advance guys!!!

92 LX notch--Shorty headers--Pro 5.0 shifter--130 amp alt--U/D pullies--A/C delete--190 LPH FP--Compucar nitrous kit--FMS aluminum D/S--Elec Fan--Weld DL's--M/T ET Street--2900 lbs
13.8 at 100 mph - 2.0 60' - Motor
13.0 at 108 mph - 1.9 60' - 90 shot N2O
SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-21-2003, 01:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
the B50 sportsman block will be fine. i have tfs tws and am building a 347 that is gonna have either a t-trim, ys-trim or a D1 on it. i am having some pistons custom made at JE right now. i dont even know what dish, probably pretty big (30cc?) to get 8.5ish:1 on a 347 w/ 60cc heads. anywho, my guy thats doing the ordering shot me an email to see how much lift on the cam just today. so, FWIW, im running the JE alloys, they are expensive, but they will support more more then my '70 boss 302 block and as much as my scat 4340 forged steel crank and rods will. either go all stock, or go all the way. if you go stock youll have to probably put a motor in every couple of years. its not a bad way to do things if you cant scrape together all the $ at one time.

if you do go stock, put a girdle on it so everything will stay together when the block cracks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement