Where can i buy a good turbo kit for my street car? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
turbo kits

I have an 89 coupe that runs strong, doesnt leak any oil or burn any for that matter.

I am looking for a twin turbo or single turbo set up, id rather go twin because of the faster spooling,

So far im looking at the stage one and stage two kits from ITS, innovatie turbo solutions. What do u guys think of this comany?

And im also looking at the stage one street kit from Pro turbo kits.

What would u suggest for my car, its an everyday street car with weekend drag racing. id like to run 11 this year

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 07:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Some of us would like to help with a suggestion but we cant.

If we comment on a certain company, then other people sometimes tend to get upset because we did not state the company they like.

Its seriously political. I can tell you this. One of those two companies you mentioned is very good, and the other is not.

Choose your weapon.

post #3 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 07:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I'm sure nobody would object to you stating an opinion, making a locked thread that rates the companies was different.

Last edited by psikillz; 01-17-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 08:26 PM

I am currently installing a Cartech Street Sleeper kit for the 94/95 cars (upgraded to the T64). I cannot vouch for Cartech's delivery times, as I bought the kit used, but I can say the kit installs very nicely and looks to be good quality. To ease the install, I removed the air pump (I planned to do that anyway). My front passenger side motor mount bolt had to be cut (it was one of those nut/stud deals) to make room for the exhuast bypass, and I had to clip one piece of metal to make it easier to get to one of the intercooler plumbing hose clamps. The intercooler is a tight fit, but it will go in without removing the bumper. Oh yeah, the person I bought the kit from has a custom 3" dunp pipe made (never installed) that needed a small indentation (firewall interference). Other than that, it is a well designed kit. I also know Cartech has been around for a relatively long time. I have read that their prices are a little higher than some of the competitors. Of course, it may be worth it to pay a little more and know you will get the kit. Some people have not been so lucky dealing with other companies.

Also, Cartech has been helpful answering my questions when I have called, and even faxed me install instructions. They were not real clear (black boxes instead of pictures), but they did not have to do that, considering they didn't sell me the kit.

Let me repeat - I did not buy the kit from them, and I encourage you to check whichever turbo company you select thouroughly before you send them any money. I can only critique the quality of the kit.
post #5 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 09:03 PM

based on the feedback I have received lately everyone is happy with any of the major turbo kits (except TDC). Just do a bit of research and decide what is best for your car.
post #6 of 52 Old 01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Ian

Trader Feedback: (2)
Excellent reply Mustang A+
post #7 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 12:56 AM

They seem to always get left out but my Turbo Technology race kit is just top notch. I am very pleased with it throughout. It even comes with both custom stainless headers. Nice pieces.
post #8 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks u guys that helps,
post #9 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 10:56 AM

I have a question. Why is it that if I were to call up, say, well make that any turbo kit manufacturer for a Ford Mustang, that I have to wait 30 days, 6 weeks, whatever to finally get my product in full? I should be able to call up and have my COMPLETE kit overnighted if I so wish.

From what I see, there is a market for turbo kits for Mustangs but nobody seems to get with the program. I remember one manufacturer (Australian based if I remember correctly) claiming there wasn't any market for the Ford Mustang. Well guess what. The current strategy of requiring a down payment, then waiting for the boxes to randomly come to your door weeks and months apart from one another, never mind all the other b.s. delays on top of it all, will never jive with most potential customers. No other product I can think of, automotive or otherwise, operates in this manner. No wonder that company and others go broke.

"Excellent reply Mustang A+"

No Mustang, in the words of the late Beavis and Butthead, that sucked.

If you are worrying about people getting upset over what you say, you should not reply at all, let alone be moderator. No matter what finds its way from your keyboard to the monitor in front of you, someone will always find something wrong or offensive about it.
post #10 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 11:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I do not have an innovative kit but call Carson @its.He is great to talk to .
I went from a jy set up to turbo tech twin kit.
Do lots of research !!!!!!

post #11 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 12:03 PM

Believe me I would rather have them waiting on a shelf!

ITS is working very hard to have our kits in stock and ready to ship.

Most problems Turbo companies have are vendor problems for the parts needed to fabricate a kit.

In the last year we have solved all of those problems and should have them on a shelf by March.

I prefer not to ship parts and pieces but wait and send it all at once.

Service and support have been lacking by Turbo companies in the past. ITS is trying to change all of these problems that people have been facing for years.
post #12 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LW96
No Mustang, in the words of the late Beavis and Butthead, that sucked.

If you are worrying about people getting upset over what you say, you should not reply at all, let alone be moderator. No matter what finds its way from your keyboard to the monitor in front of you, someone will always find something wrong or offensive about it.
Boy, your are just waiting to get taken to school arent you.

Your surrounded by people that know what happens when you trigger people, and you dont comment on the kit that they own. I have no ill feeling towards your comment, because I know better.
post #13 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by novipower
Excellent reply Mustang A+
And actually, my reply, DID suck.
post #14 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I have a question. Why is it that if I were to call up, say, well make that any turbo kit manufacturer for a Ford Mustang, that I have to wait 30 days, 6 weeks, whatever to finally get my product in full? I should be able to call up and have my COMPLETE kit overnighted if I so wish.
Turbo kits are hand made, and made to order, find a well established chassis shop that you can call and drop your car off and pick it up then next day.

Coilz347
IMO theres only 2 established (10+yrs) companies out there, TTI and Cartech, they make all the fabricated parts in house (to my knowledge) Both also make much more than kits for mustangs.
Personally i wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made of stainless, for thoses who will argue, c'mon the stock headers are stainless!!

I remember at 1 point some1 (clement) sayin you have to be hardcore to own a turbo, the more i learn the more I agree.

my .02

dont tell me,show me

Last edited by Superskwrl; 01-18-2003 at 04:20 PM.
post #15 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 05:08 PM

Not quite sure what you meant about being "schooled".

Someone asked about turbo kits and you stated you would like to help but can not, because somebody might get upset on your 'take'. Huh? What about the rest of the people here? Are you going to email replies to sticky subjects from now on?

So you designed some company website? So what? I can make my own decisions about biases and facts through my own research - whether it is featured on this site or not. Their favorite company is not on your list? Too bad. Tell them to make a website like this and pimp it for all its worth if they want equal press.

I for one would like opinions on all the kits available, good or bad. After all, I hope to be in the market in the next year to 18 months for my GT. So give me your take by email if you have to. You're just denying some usefull info for everyone else for the sake of appeasing some crybabies.
post #16 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 05:34 PM

"Turbo kits are hand made, and made to order, find a well established chassis shop that you can call and drop your car off and pick it up then next day."

That is an option, but an expensive one - to have it hand made. For a street/strip kit, it would probably prove too costly as far as HP/Dollar goes, for myself anyway. For a strip only car, yes.

However, I want a turbo kit that is just a few dollars more, relatively speaking, when all is said and done. Something a little more power/torque wise than a supercharger, but not radical enough to warrant expensive fuel systems, DFI, ect, ect.
post #17 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 05:51 PM

Sounds like our kit is perfect
post #18 of 52 Old 01-18-2003, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Not quite sure what you meant about being "schooled".
I for one would like opinions on all the kits available, good or bad. After all, I hope to be in the market in the next year to 18 months for my GT. So give me your take by email if you have to. You're just denying some usefull info for everyone else for the sake of appeasing some crybabies.
Bro I understand your approach, but its just not that easy.

Its crazy, actually, its more like insanely political ( if that term is applicable ).
post #19 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 12:38 PM

Well other then this board is getting way off based every time a "Turbo thread" comes up. If u want knowledge about turbos go to www.turbomustangs.com where the moderators and owner of the board are very nice and unbiased.

Anyway I have a ITS stage two kit and for a turbo kit you cant beat it. I would go with ITS but do research and see what u find out and what fits ur needs.

00 GT-5sp-Some bolt ons

x2c Coilover kit front and rear
post #20 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)
Yes, I'm very surprised this thread has lasted this far!

You'll hear good and bad about every performance part and company. Just gotta do your research and make your own decision, that way you have no one to blame but yourself if things don't work out.

At least you know if you go with ITS that Carson's always on here and turbomustangs so you'll be able to get ahold of him

I can't reccomend nobody though, until I have my results
post #21 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave88LX
Yes, I'm very surprised this thread has lasted this far!
You and me both, I love ignore
post #22 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Re: ptk

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen
I made 805 flywheel horses on pump gass with my pro turbo sn-95 street kit ..with a t-76 on it
Biased! Biased Alert! You cant do that in your title, thats wrong!

You have to be neutral. Heh heh heh.

post #23 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 06:48 PM

Mustang

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang

Unbelievable!! Can you not let it die!

People on here are asking questions about turbos, if you don't have a freakin answer then quit trashing the threads with junk post you moron. Now you are over on Turbomustangs doing it as well. Man just do us all a favor and let it go. You are the only one still bringing this up over here.

STOP!!

1988 Convertible... Turbo Technology Race Single Turbo T76
post #24 of 52 Old 01-19-2003, 09:08 PM

Re: Mustang

Quote:
Originally posted by ]Five-o[
STOP!!
You got issues. Lets talk. Tell me about your mother...

post #25 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 12:15 AM

ROFLMAO

R331 GT47
post #26 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Stage I $2895
This kit is designed to "blow away" the supercharged competition with faster boosting response and awesome low end torque. Pound for pound this kit will produce more power than comparably priced chargers.
Two T3 turbos internal wastegate and actuator with stainless gaskets. The Intercooler is a 24x10x2.75 (core size) top to bottom flow. This kit comes with 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 downpipes, grade 8 bolts, 2" turbo to intercooler piping, 3" Intercooler to intake piping, silicon hump hose for vibrating and flexing positions, flexable hose that adapts to different size meters and T-bodies, stainless clamps,stainless braided teflon brakeline for oilfeed, stainless braided drain line, reusable air filters and a boost controller. Uses stock or aftermarket H-pipe requires battery relocation everything else to install is included with instructions. Rated up to 400 WHP.

Stage II $3495
This kit is design for those who want a little more than average. It includes everthing from stage I but upgrades the turbos to T3/T4 Hybrids and adds a Turbo Smart Type II vee port Blow off valve. There is also a second stage in car boost controller.
At only 10psi this setup will produce over 500WHP depending on other modifications and is capable of up to 700WHP.

Here are the two kits from ITS, right now im looking at the stage two kit. Is there anything id want to upgrade in this kit?

Is there anyone out there who has had experiece with ITS, or PTK? where are all the turbo owners?

Thanks for your help Greg
post #27 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 07:50 AM

Coilz -

I am a beginner at this too (at the tail end of my install).

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Corkey Bell's book on turbocharging. (I can't think of the name, it's at home, but ask around, someone will recall it) Anyway, his book covers a lot of the basics of a turbo system. It will give you an idea of what qualities to look for in a well made turbo set up, and what additional items are required.

Based on the prices quoted in the kits you have listed, I would bet they do not include any fuel system components. You will need to consider that when calculating your expenses. Figure at least a 255 in tank, and probably an in line, 42lb injectors, 80mm mass air, plus gauges (boost and fuel pressure). Obviously, you will have tuning issues as well. Custom chips are needed. It's not a lot, but you need to consider it.

Also, request a set of install instructions before you buy. Make sure you understand how the kit installs before you give a bunch of money. If the instructions do not seem clear, get the details ahead of time. Installing turbos in the tight confines of a 5.0 engine bay is time consuming. It has taken me every bit of the 20 hours Cartech advertises, plus a few.
post #28 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 12:59 PM

ok...just kiddin...i just wanted to use that picture for once

To add my opinion to the debate, I agree that is BS that turbo companies take your money weeks/months before you actually get the product. If their business is actually making turbo setups you would think they would have ATLEAST one set of each setup laying around so they can drop it in a box and have it shipped. it would be heaven for EVERY OTHER company if they could have absolutely NO inventory besides raw materials (if that) and make setups at their lesiure. You wonder why everyone buys superchargers instead of turbos...its becase there is no REAL company out there that hold stuff in stock.

You gotta be nuts to wait a couple months to get a turbo, when you could have any blower kit at your doorstep THE SAME DAY if you so desiire.

I think if companies start holding the smallest amount of inventory, and keep it stocked you would see turbo sales go up.

First company to offer UPS delivery the same day as the kit was ordered is gonna make it. Hell, i should go into the turbo kit business. Theres no competition!
post #29 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TireSmoke

To add my opinion to the debate, I agree that is BS that turbo companies take your money weeks/months before you actually get the product. If their business is actually making turbo setups you would think they would have ATLEAST one set of each setup laying around so they can drop it in a box and have it shipped.
Weird how something so basic as a turbo kit can be so hard to produce for a profit by a lot of companies.
Vortech/ATI/Paxton were/are able to take pretty much a turbo compressor, machine some gears and a case for it to run off a pulley. Fab some brackets and pulleys for said gear case to attach to motors and sell them like crazy (at a pretty decent profit i'd be willing to bet). Seems the supercharger manufacturer would be at a disadvantage because of all the necessary close tolerance maching of parts as compared to the rather simple nature of turbo in itself (that are produced by the thousands). Sure there is lot's of piping involved with turbos, though once you've seen/done some of it, you really get how simple it can be to fab (especially the header side of it).
I'd be willing to bet lot's of the turbo kit manufacturers issues come more from bad ethics (like I said above turbo kits are pretty easy to fab really) more then it does from the economics of putting a kit together.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #30 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Some of us would like to help with a suggestion but we cant.

If we comment on a certain company, then other people sometimes tend to get upset because we did not state the company they like.
Quote:
Boy, your are just waiting to get taken to school arent you.

Your surrounded by people that know what happens when you trigger people, and you dont comment on the kit that they own. I have no ill feeling towards your comment, because I know better.
Quote:

Quote:
You got issues. Lets talk. Tell me about your mother...
Wow, is this the type of tech related replies that I can expect from an Administrator on this site? Mustang, normally I wouldn't reply to childish remarks like this, you may argue that it's not by business or that if I don't like the reply ignore it...fine, I'll try to from here on out...but now that I'm a turbo kit owner and from just becoming a frequent browser on this forum it sucks to see replies like this over and over, and from a site admin! In other threads I've seen some of your replies and you keep engaging in stupid little arguments or threating to lock a thread b/c of non tech related replies...go figure, grow up man. Sorry for the rant.

I have yet to install my TTI kit but the guy I bought the kit from was extremely pleased w/it...he sold it b/c he was going w/a Cartech T-76 kit I believe. TTI's kits are a little on the high side as far as pricing goes though, that's a pretty big factor in why they aren't mentioned as much and/or why they don't sell as many kits as they could. Their customer service is top notch though. I've called in MANY times and George is always more than willing to help out, he's already made the experience of owning their kit all the more better already. Hopefully I'll have some track #'s soon, more than likely it will have to wait, school and work come first HTH...Coilz347, if you have any ?'s feel free to ask here or via PM...take it easy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 01-20-2003 at 03:33 PM.
post #31 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 03:42 PM

I would have to believe that poorly run companies are the cause! Once you do a kit, its all just repetition! Make 5 of these tubes, make 5 of these tubes, 20 brackets, 20 clamps, ect ect ect.

Turbos, BOV, WG, Intercoolers, Fuel Pumps, FMUs, Injectors, ect ect ecrt can all be pulled off the shelf! Keep one of 2 hanging around and make sure you have a source to get them within a day or 2. Whats the big friggin deal!!!! If these are family businesses or the like with little starting money, then I can see...but as the company grows they should be able to afford to have a few of each component laying around.
post #32 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 05:49 PM

We are close guys.
Parts are the problem.
Thats now solved.

We waited almost 5 months to get intercoolers that never came. This is just one example.

Add up all the parts and the fab time see what you come up with.

Believe me its more complex than we ever considered.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carson

Add up all the parts and the fab time see what you come up with.
Not trying to be argumentative..........but I have and it's not very difficult.
I'll stand behind my above post and say that ethics have to be a major factor in a lot of it. Supercharger companies have alot more work to accomplish before they send the product out the door then a turbo company. They seem to rolling right along.
My opinions are just that, opinoins but I studied the issue before coming to a point of have a solid opionated thought to express

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #34 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 06:20 PM

Well one thing to consider also is the blower companies (for the most part) are big enough now where they make all their own parts. I mean you guys are exaclty right about the time. I know people that waited over a year on cartech stuff. That is rediculous. The thing is there are no turbo kit manufacturers that make "everything" for the kit and that causes problems getting the parts. Carson is very nice and helpful. Maybe one day he will be there or at least be able to order in enough to last for a while

1988 Convertible... Turbo Technology Race Single Turbo T76
post #35 of 52 Old 01-20-2003, 06:52 PM

I'll stick with Turbo Technology. My kit came complete in three weeks, and I call and ask questions all the time. They are extremely friendly, and don't care to BS on the phone with you. I had a crack in my stainless header after a year, and George told me just to send it back and they would fix it. I don't know what more you can ask for.

90 GT, Windsor SR's, Flo-Master intake, custom cam, 70mm TB, PTK Gen III kit, T76, Gen 6 DFI, Tremec, Spec stage III, Pro 5.0, 3.27 gear, SSM lowers, 5-way Tokico drag struts and shocks.

11/16/03 497 rwhp
11/19/03 Totalled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement