Can someone please enlighten me on a Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Question Can someone please enlighten me on a Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi turbo?

I've heard alot of gray area comments aren't very helpful. Can someone explain what the #'s 60-1 mean?...how about HiFi? Are there any similarities w/a T-60 turbo?

I held this turbo up to a freinds t3/t4 and the hot side seemed way bigger on mine but the small side seemed much smaller ...that was a turbo that was being used on a Honda Prelude kit...the guys I talked to thought the 60-1 was a pretty small turbo, and they didn't understand why the hot side is bigger and the cold side being smaller...???

The turbo is off a TTI single kit for 94/95 gt's....I'm content w/it being a beginner turbo, but still want to know more about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
My turbo is quite a bit smaller than a 60-1. You won't have any trouble at all making 400rwhp on 6psi or so. The 60-1 has a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. The HiFi is a 3" inlet and a 2" or 2.5" outlet but otherwise the same turbo. My turbo has a 3" inlet and the inside diameter of the outlet is 1 3/4".

post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 10:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Don't worry, you have an actual 60-1 hifi. I have the same turbo on my LX (it's actually an ITS 60-1 hifi, but they're the same). Although the compressor section looks small compared to what some of the import guys run, I can assure you that it WILL flow enough to make good power. My car is making 480rwhp on a mustang dyno with one of these and pump gas at 12psi. By the numbers, this turbo should be good up to about 65lb/min or roughly 640 engine hp before it's "too small". The side benefit of running this turbo instead of say a T66, is that the lower end and midrange come up much quicker and it spends more time in the "sweet spot" of the compressor map where it is more efficient. I guess if your definition of a "beginner" turbo is one that supports over 500rw on a dynojet, this one would be "OK".

~Greg
Calibrated Success, Inc. EFI Training, Tuning, Consulting
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
The 60-1 has a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. The HiFi is a 3" inlet and a 2" or 2.5" outlet but otherwise the same turbo.
I agree with all above
I remember when I got my 60-1 and looking at it thinkin "humph, this thing isn't much bigger then a T-3!" Sure enough, the cartridge from the 60-1 fit right inside a t-3 housing! Pretty easy to make t-3/t-4 hybrids Garrets

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't trying to label this as a beginner turbo, I've just been hearing things that would imply that, that's all...sorry if it came out the wrong way. Thank for the input everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement