Installing turbo - plumbing question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Installing turbo - plumbing question

I purchased a used Cartech Street Sleeper for my 94 GT and have some questions regarding the install. BTW - I do have a faxed set of instructions, complete with little black boxes where the pictures should be. Oh well, it's fairly straightforward.

On the passenger side header (the one the turbo mounts on), there is a threaded nipple pointing up. I know it is not for the O2 sensor (the bung for that is underneath), and it is obviously not for the wastegate. I thought it might be for the EGR system, but that is now removed. If that is the case, the nipple is getting capped. Anything I am missing?

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Hmm...It could be for an EGT connection.

"Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today."
-James Dean
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 10:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
is it located where the egr goes on the factory header? my cartech header doesnt have anything like that, does it look like the previous owner put it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Well, it is hard to tell if it was added. The header is a hand-built piece anyway. The car had long tubes on it before all this.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
What size is the hole? That might determine quickly if it is for a EGT gauge or not.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Sitting at my desk, going by memory, 5/8". I will check tonight.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by Catfish
Sitting at my desk, going by memory, 5/8". I will check tonight.
That is a tad big compared to any EGT probe I have owned or worked with You have a picture of this by chance? Might be easier to recognize from a visual than a description.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 04:40 PM

if its back where the egr tube goes, thats probly what it is. if you arent running an egr, just going to have to cap it off. but its gonna be hard to find the right size, unless you have your old egr tube to get one off of, and do the penny thing.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's where my thinking is headed. I will just whip out the TIG and weld it up, or blow a big hole in it. Something like that.

Slow - didn't you just get your kit? I know someone on here got their kit at about the same time I did. If so, let me know. I would like to trade install experiences/set up information. Mike at Cartech has cheerfully answered my questions when I have called, but I feel bad bugging him a lot, since I didn't buy the kit new from him. I like figuring stuff out, anyway.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Turbo Wizard

If all else fails there are a few guys with that kit over on turbomustangs.com could ask there as well.

--Admiral Aaron

post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2003, 03:03 PM

The bung on the turbo header is obviously for the EGR connection, if you were to keep it. I, however, have run across a guy on here selling an adapter that will place an EGT probe in that port while not damaging the ceramic coating. Or, he can also provide just a cap. I'll see if I can find his ad.

94 GT C4 transmission, SVO block'd 331, 160# injectors, 2 fuel pumps, 10pt cage and a big turbo

http://www.dfwmotorsports.net
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2003, 04:53 PM

i actually got my kit used last september. the install should be pretty straightforward. but ive done an s-trim and a tti turbo kit before on the same year car.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2003, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

An EGT probe would be a nice addition. Let me know what you find.

Slow - Yeah, when they deleted all the past info, I couldn't find out who it was. The install really has not been all that complicated. My dad and I bought a car lift in December, so working on the car has been a breeze. It would have taken an extra ten hours with me crawling around on my back with the car on jack stands.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-17-2003, 10:14 AM

He goes by wazee on here. Nice guy. Shoot him a PM.

94 GT C4 transmission, SVO block'd 331, 160# injectors, 2 fuel pumps, 10pt cage and a big turbo

http://www.dfwmotorsports.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement