Turbo setup help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boostup89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Turbo setup help

Hey, I just had a question about whats worked for everyone in their turbos cars. I have a 93' fox that I want to turbo (specifically On3) and had some questions. For those that have used the kit, is it a decent kit? Any issues as far as quality? I know they are not the most quality kits, but just wondering about them. Also, what do you suggest for heads, cam, and RR. The engine is mostly stock aside from a gt40 intake, how do stock heads hold up to the boost? Would you recommend an aftermarket head? Also, would you recommend stock ratio RR or, a higher ratio? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I've installed a few of the on3 kits and honestly they are not that bad for all the more they cost. The only thing I would do is buy a nicer and more reliable wastegate. As far as hci I made 656whp on a stock bottom end roller 302 with an auto with gt40x heads and an Fcam. You can pick that stuff up pretty cheap. Also the Trick Flow top end package is very nice if you have the coin to buy it. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent harmonic balancer while it's off. I ran a Pioneer balancer from Summit and it held up well. Don't forget to find a good reputable tuner to tune it.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGRACN View Post
I've installed a few of the on3 kits and honestly they are not that bad for all the more they cost. The only thing I would do is buy a nicer and more reliable wastegate. As far as hci I made 656whp on a stock bottom end roller 302 with an auto with gt40x heads and an Fcam. You can pick that stuff up pretty cheap. Also the Trick Flow top end package is very nice if you have the coin to buy it. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent harmonic balancer while it's off. I ran a Pioneer balancer from Summit and it held up well. Don't forget to find a good reputable tuner to tune it.
What's your opinion on stock heads? Will they hold up? Or should I find a cheap gt40 head? I have a buddy who is selling edelbrock performers, is that overkill for a cheap turbo build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:27 PM

The stock heads will hold up, but they are pretty restrictive. What kind of power are you wanting to make?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
THat's strong. Did you blow it up? How much PSI?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

In the 400s. Would you recommend just doing some gt40's?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:46 PM

24lbs. I saw 30lbs on data once. Ran that engine for a few years. Ended up popping a head gasket last year and filling the cyls with water bending the rods. Block is still intact. I have a thread on here wth pics and time slips etc.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 PM

The stock heads will make that.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
lol That'a a lot of boost. But it was prolly the sweet spot for the Turbo I bet. zoom zoom..
post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
I just finished an on3 fox body kit on my 89. The fit and quality is actually pretty good. My turbine wheel got destroyed after only 9 miles. I found a stray piece of metal debris from the header mfg process had come loose. I had pressure washed everything out before the installation but missed something. My advice is to wash out all of the piping and take your time. Don't use gaskets on the headers, use the copper silicone stuff. Heat wrap your downpipe, it gets HOT!

TomR likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Not a terrible kit. Header installation requires working the bolts in incrementally, a few threads at a time until they're all tight, hot side v-band flanges aren't male/female so they can shift during operation, i've seen issues where the flex pipe will implode but mine has been fine, and you may have to man-handle some sheet metal around the passenger fender apron area where the charge pipe comes through in order to make installation/removal easier.

I haven't run their turbo but I think they're getting better than they used to be. I have a Magnum 72mm on my setup and it's great.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
ACJ

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
What type of fuel ? And what size type of turbo ? 656WHP Nice
post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJ View Post
What type of fuel ? And what size type of turbo ? 656WHP Nice
E85 and a Turbonetics 76/68. Would have made more but the turbo was maxed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement