Switch from Centri to Turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mingreyvert
  • 1 Post By sonic 02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Switch from Centri to Turbo

Hi guys I am currently debating between keeping the centri and ditching it for a turbo. A little back ground on the car it is a 2002 GT with a Vortech V3 S trim with a HPX blow through. It is intercooled running 8# of boost. I have just bought and have tore down a 1998 Mark VIII and have the motor taken down to the short block. I have been piecing together my build and have been looking at what is the best way to go. I will be forging the engine and before I make my cam and piston choice I wanted to see what benefits there would be for switching to a turbo and what compression you all recommend. As far as my goals I would like to start it around 5-600 hp as I am pushing 400 now. I am building this to handle 1000hp but as of now have no plans to take it over 7-800. I did just build my rear and made the switch to a 410( I have a 373 and 327 in the garage). Don't know a lot about turbos have been reading all I can about them. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
I'm going through this right now as well. I had a built 4.6 with an intercooled V7 JT with methanol and am now going with a TF head/turbo cam/76mm setup. I just like the idea of simplicity with the turbo. My engine bay was a cluster with the big blower, intercooler, all the methanol lines, tons of 8 rib pulleys all over the place....etc. I am shooting for 800+ with just turbo and e85. What fuel are you planning on running? What heads/intake? Do you have a budget?

1997 Mustang GT
1997 Mustang GT
10:1, TF heads, Turbo cams, 7675, E85, 4R70W, Holley EFI
post #3 of 13 Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Some of the advantages of turbo over blower 1. No belt to change, Rob power, break or slip. 2. Way easier to change boost level 3. You make more tq with a turbo over a blower. 4. You will never hit your power goal with out spending a chunk of change on a 8 rip setup.
Disadvantage 1.you have to run coilovers and kmember. 2. a turbo car can take some seat time to get it to launch. That's is the only disadvantages I can think of.

I built my motor with10:1 compression. You will not want to run 4.10 gears with a turbo setup. You may get away with 3.73s depending on what size tire you run

02 Roush, Livernois stage 1 cams, eaton posi, qa1 kmember, highly modified on3 turbo kit
Turbo numbers 415 rwhp 458 rwtq
Stupidity is a sexually transmitted disease
CG hot side T6 turbo under way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information I appreciate all the advice I can get. As far as budget I like to do things once and have been saving and buying parts for awhile now I will get the engine done this year and have the tranny and fuel the next. I know this will not be cheap as far as budget goes. I feel like turbo would be best for the main reason that I want to ease into the power. I don't want to go from 400 to 700 and wrap it around a pole. I also want the great drivability of my centri. My car never sees rain or clouds for that matter and will be a street car with maybe one trip a year to the track. As far as fuel goes I am going for pump gas as I have a race fuel car and can't afford to put gas in it at 709 a gal. I am planning on meth as well. I have installed headers on my car when I put the clutch in and it was a b. So if I where to do turbo I would just do it with the engine out. Thanks anyone else with some experience would be great... also what size turbo are you guys running?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

97stanger97 I have been reading your posts on here and listen to what people are saying you seem to have one of the few recent threads and had a lot of the questions I did. As far as heads keeping the b heads from the mark I have a cobra intake as well as the mark and cobra cams I don't really like the cobra intake look so much so haven't decided on which I will run.
97stanger97 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I would keep the Vortech set up because for a street car, the super charger will be more reliable than a turbo system. With the Vortech, a TI or YSI will hit the 800 HP target without the turbo head aches.

The turbo system has more parts, less ground clearance than a supercharged system. Furthermore, A turbo system requires an aftermarket drag race style k member that may fail.

The drivability of turbo kits on the street is not good because the power delivery is like a switch, its either on or off rather than the linear power delivery of a blower.

Finnally, a turbo kit is significantly more expensive than a supercharger system.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic 02 View Post
Some of the advantages of turbo over 4. You will never hit your power goal with out spending a chunk of change on a 8 rip setup.

I put together an 8 rib kit for around $500 including a nice ATI overdrive damper.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2016, 07:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsvt View Post
I would keep the Vortech set up because for a street car, the super charger will be more reliable than a turbo system. With the Vortech, a TI or YSI will hit the 800 HP target without the turbo head aches.

The turbo system has more parts, less ground clearance than a supercharged system. Furthermore, A turbo system requires an aftermarket drag race style k member that may fail.

The drivability of turbo kits on the street is not good because the power delivery is like a switch, its either on or off rather than the linear power delivery of a blower.

Finnally, a turbo kit is significantly more expensive than a supercharger system.
How many turbo cars have you owned? I'm going to guess none because all your statements are regurgitated Internet BS.
97stanger97 likes this.

02 Roush, Livernois stage 1 cams, eaton posi, qa1 kmember, highly modified on3 turbo kit
Turbo numbers 415 rwhp 458 rwtq
Stupidity is a sexually transmitted disease
CG hot side T6 turbo under way
post #9 of 13 Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM

I have lately been thinking I preferred my ATI Centri over the turbo. The supercharge cost quite a bit more, and I did have belt problems. However, exhaust issues with turbos suck. Also, if it is a street car and you need to be emissions legal, it is difficult to impossible with the turbo.

Like someone else said too, the power hit from the turbo hits hard rather than the linear increase of a Centri. Probably fine for a track car.

On the other hand, it is super easy to make power with them, if that's your only goal.

91 Notchback
331c.i. H/C/I turbo
post #10 of 13 Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsvt View Post

I have been in a couple of turbo cars which is why I have been considering the switch. They have all were great on the street and just like the centri couldn't tell it was FI until they WOT. The reason I like the turbo is because it is like a switch. Where most centri I have seen will slam to 3-5# and slowly build it. I was planning on doing a K when I do my swap anyway so that isn't a big deal. I am just looking to do this once and enjoy. I have seen a lot of people go from centri or roots to a turbo not so many the other way. Anymore feedback would be great. Also, was wondering if 96-98 Cobra cams would be good enough for the power level I want which would be around 800 full boost. Also, would like to hear what compression you all are running. Crank gets done at the shop today and my block is going to get honed anytime.

2002 Mustang GT Vortech V3 8# 378HP 372TQ Tuned by Tim Barth Built Rear 31 spline Mosers Trutrac Diff 4.10 Ford Racing gears Stage 3 clutch Lightened flywheel 42# Injectors Mac long tubes, Mac Prochamber, Flowmaster Super 44s, Rovos Wheels Follow me @mingreyvert
post #11 of 13 Old 07-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
When I was looking for a high HP car I had my choice of two different cars and they were practically identical in build/parts but one was a TT and the other had a YSI on it. Both were making upwards of 700hp and listed at the same price.

I ended up going with the TT car b/c of a few things:
1. Noise: The SC car was a lot noisier due to the SC and I wanted something that could be quiet. This was the largest issue for me.

2. Easier to increase the power: With a SC car I feared that I would end up fighting belt slip if I wanted to up the power and with a turbo car it was just a matter of increasing the boost.

3. I don't like the buildup of power throughout the RPM. I want max power as soon as possible. 35psi of boost at 3000RPM? HELL YEA! If I don't like having it that quick then a boost controller can be programmed to ramp up the boost however I want it.

Make notes on what you DO and DON'T want out of the car and figure out those items that you can't live with and can't live without: Noise, Power Potential, Maintenance Headaches, How easy is it to access all components on the engine, etc.

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #12 of 13 Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
post #13 of 13 Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys for all the info and Kevin nice build you have going there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement