engine temp? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 5.0thunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
engine temp?

I am concerned about the temperature my car is running. This is my first turbo and I feel that it is running a little higher than I would like. What Temps do you see when at cruising speed and how high after a hit? Thanks in advance for replying.

94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
low boost 306 here. I have a 180 thermostat that and car usually runs/cruises around 185. low boost hits bring it up to 190-195 then back down soon after. this is in the houston Texas heat and humidity

Blk.Snake likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
So many variables come into play with this, especially due to overall design of how you did your cooling system but also keep in mind placement of intercooler and so on. My last car was similar to the prior user in regards to temps and I too am in Houston. One thing is for sure make sure you have a good well working temp gauge. The 93 GT over at my place right now is not boosted but regardless the factory gauge or sending unit on it is foo barred because if I were to trust it the car is running WELL in the 200s and it has zero performing signs of that happening.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
So many variables come into play with this, especially due to overall design of how you did your cooling system but also keep in mind placement of intercooler and so on. My last car was similar to the prior user in regards to temps and I too am in Houston. One thing is for sure make sure you have a good well working temp gauge. The 93 GT over at my place right now is not boosted but regardless the factory gauge or sending unit on it is foo barred because if I were to trust it the car is running WELL in the 200s and it has zero performing signs of that happening.
I can monitor from two different sources and gauges and both are reading within 1 degree. .

post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
What two sources were you able to go off of and get that close of temp readings? I always got much hotter readings going off ports on the back of the intakes v. the fronts. Then as I recall any time I tapped into the t-stat housing for a sensor I would still see a difference between it and the others. Not doubting you, just curious.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
What two sources were you able to go off of and get that close of temp readings? I always got much hotter readings going off ports on the back of the intakes v. the fronts. Then as I recall any time I tapped into the t-stat housing for a sensor I would still see a difference between it and the others. Not doubting you, just curious.
My mistake. One sensor. Gauge in the holly dash and digital gauge.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I fought this with mine also with a stock style cooling system.I added a air dam under radiator,hi flow pump,removed t stat,but the thing that helped the most was a cobra water pump pulley. if your car has under drives on it throw them away..also has a new alum 2 core rad. with ford contour fans.

big cox racing
post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayed347 View Post
I fought this with mine also with a stock style cooling system.I added a air dam under radiator,hi flow pump,removed t stat,but the thing that helped the most was a cobra water pump pulley. if your car has under drives on it throw them away..also has a new alum 2 core rad. with ford contour fans.
I am running a 2 core aluminum radiator with a electric radiator mount 55gph pump that has 2 12an lines to the front of the motor and 16an return to the radiator and no thermostat. So there are no pulleys.
It is getting better but still a little warm. I am going to try to find another fan that will fit but room is at a premium. Thanks for the reply though.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 PM

If you have room put a 3-core in it.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #10 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$ View Post
If you have room put a 3-core in it.

ks
I wish I had room but it will take some re-fabrication of all of the mounts for the radiator and intercooler and the cold side tubing would all have to be refabed. I also forgot to mention that it is a dual pass rad. Thanks and keep the ideas coming. Sooner or later something is going to be doable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement