SN95 On3 kit No Tuning - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
SN95 On3 kit No Tuning

Hey guys, im considering buying an SN95 5.0 to build a turbo street car out of, using the on3 kit.

My question revolves around tuning one. I would want around 400-450whp (through a T5), using a stock 5.0 with gt40 heads and intake, maybe an OTS cam.

Ive searched for how people are tuning these with the stock PCM and coming up short. I know megasquirt or another standalone would be best, but a 94 or 95 would still need to pass a sniffer around here for a few more years. This is why Id like to use the stock PCM and keep all emissions equipment functional if possible. Then megasquirt it after its 25 yrs old.

I spoke with a foxbody owner at the track a week ago, and he has an on3 kit with a stock bottom end, 42lb injectors and a calibrated maf running 12 lbs. He said no tuning involved.

In my search I found a handful of people saying the were running the bigger inj, calibrated maf, and locked or lowered timing, but cant find any mention of additional tuning.

Most of the stuff I find people are saying to get it dynotuned.

So my question is, if I have the calibrated maf, bigger injectors, and adjusted the timing accordingly, would additional tuning be required? What is it they can actually change with the stock PCM? What components are needed to tune the stock PCM?

I know in the miata world, for a long time people were using RRFPRs and ignition boxes (band aids as they call them), now with the popularity of MS they are looked down upon, but they are still a lot of people running around with band aids and without tuning. This is what Id be wanting if I could do it relatively safely.

Im new to the mustang world, I have always had GMs myself, and about the only in depth ford experience I have is building a buddies foxbody. Its a GT40 top end, with an Fcam and bolt ons. He had it "dynotuned" and it made like 280whp. He later told me the tuner didnt do anything but set the timing and troubleshoot a drivability problem he was having, because you cant do much with the stock PCM. So I have no idea, and am looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (59)
Set your fuel pressure at 42lbs, timing at 18 and 10lbs of boost and rock on

post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Computers are dumb, they only know what you tell them. Having a "calibrated" MAF is tricking the ECM, in other words giving it false information right off the bat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostup89 View Post
Computers are dumb, they only know what you tell them. Having a "calibrated" MAF is tricking the ECM, in other words giving it false information right off the bat.
And?

97 Corvette - Bolt ons, Daily Driver
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM

It will run, and probably run well. Those types of setups have been working for decades now. With binary editing IE quarter horse or Tweecer you can keep the factory ECM, with all the emmisions enabled and tune properly and know your not leaving any HP at the table.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
I wouldn't consider adding a turbo without tuning the car. If you have a Wideband,you can do some it yourself.

I think going to an aftermarket ecu is the best thing to do. There are several good ones and it gives much more flexibility. The 94/95 ecu are picky when it comes to adding performance.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostup89 View Post
It will run, and probably run well. Those types of setups have been working for decades now. With binary editing IE quarter horse or Tweecer you can keep the factory ECM, with all the emmisions enabled and tune properly and know your not leaving any HP at the table.
With the tweecer or quarter horse what all is needed to tune the stock pcm, does the pcm need to be modified, or do these just plug in and reflash the pcm or do you have to socket the pcm?

Is this something a tuner would have and im just paying for tuning or are they for each vehicle, were i woulf have to purchase it and then tuning labor also.

If tuning the stock pcm is worth it, and reasonably priced id definetly want to do that. But if i have to pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars for the components then another 500 for tuning, i wouldnt do that, because thats how much the megasquirt will cost when i can do it, and truthfully its cheaper for me to blow up and replace a longblock than it is to spend 1k on temporary tuning.

Running an MS would be best, i know this, unfortunatg i have to be emissions legal for a couple more years, so i couldnt change over til its 25 yrs old

97 Corvette - Bolt ons, Daily Driver
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM

I've seen used Tweecer RT (datalogging units) for sale in $150 range. I believe a new one is $400. They just plug in to the factory program port. You can tune it yourself as many times as you want. You can also pay $150 for a base tune with 2 remote tunning sessions. The Tweecer has a pretty steep learning curve. As far as what can be tuned with one? Lots! Maf curves, injector slopes, breakpoints, firing order, cubic inches, ect. My brother in law is using one with an a9l computer on a big block Ford in a early 80s f-250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement