Open DP questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weather Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Open DP questions

I am running an On3 3" open down pipe right now but will be getting a single exhaust made within the next few weeks hopefully. My question is, does an open DP make your car seem like it's running bad? I have some popping when I let off from a WOT pull and the car feels like it may have a small miss. Also the interior is vibrating pretty badly and the DP isn't touching anywhere. Just wondering if anybody else had experience with an open DP and thought their car ran bad too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2016, 10:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gt04 View Post
I am running an On3 3" open down pipe right now but will be getting a single exhaust made within the next few weeks hopefully. My question is, does an open DP make your car seem like it's running bad? I have some popping when I let off from a WOT pull and the car feels like it may have a small miss. Also the interior is vibrating pretty badly and the DP isn't touching anywhere. Just wondering if anybody else had experience with an open DP and thought their car ran bad too.
There should be no vibration and the car should run normally. An open down pipe should just be loud.

TomR likes this.

2008 Mustang GT
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
There should be no vibration and the car should run normally. An open down pipe should just be loud.
What he said.^^^^

Unless your O2 sensor is near the open end of the downpipe....which can screw up mixture when in closed loop at low throttles.

How is your tune??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
What he said.^^^^

Unless your O2 sensor is near the open end of the downpipe....which can screw up mixture when in closed loop at low throttles.

How is your tune??
O2's are close to the headers, not on the DP. The tune is with a calibrated drop in Pro-M sensor and Anderson PMS-4. The A/F ratios stay in the high 14's/low15's during cruise and steady 11.7 at WOT. Thinking maybe I have other issues then if the open DP should seem smooth and just loud. I don't see the kit touching the body anywhere, nor is the DP so not sure why the bad vibration.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure I've figured out the vibration issue. My header wrap is showing signs of the header touching the sway bar mount on the passenger side.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I don't know what everyone is talking about but if you have open DP and you slow down while in gear and let the engine slow the car, your interior will rattle like a mofo. It is the same as having dumps but way worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement