• 1 Post By SRTthis798
  • 1 Post By Blk.Snake
  • 1 Post By Blk.Snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Let's Talk Boost Control

I have a two stage boost control haywired in that seems to work, but I want to refine it. I apply a fixed known regulated pressure to the dome when switched in, and bleed it out when switched off. It is just on or off now.

I'm just using air, and it hardly consumes any air just being on at a regulated source pressure or totally off. All it takes is enough air to fill the dome every time it commands full boost. The turbo actually winds up a little slow, so it isn't a big fast surge in boost. It takes about 1 second to go from 15 psi to 21 psi.

It looks like if I ramp it up and down by using PWM, I can get a longer smoother boost ramp but it also says 9and makes sense) it will use more gas.

So if I get a CO2 2.5 lb canister kit like this one:

Dedenbear CO2 Bottle Kits AB25K - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

How long should a bottle last??

I'm thinking of doing an air shifter along with using the bottle for adding boost.

Thanks. Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
we always care a spare bottle with us but we normally go thru i think 3 bottles a season. more if we leave it open accidentally

DT Racing and Fabrication

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew Chief
Roche Racing engines Billet headed windsor! in da 6's with the chutes out before the 1000'
my car-88lx- 408" stock block gangster!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTthis798 View Post
we always care a spare bottle with us but we normally go thru i think 3 bottles a season. more if we leave it open accidentally
Do you use a 2.5 lb?

What do you think of my idea of using a single bottle for shift and then step regulating down to maybe 10 psi or whatever it takes to add gate pressure??

I want add enough dome pressure to just get my boost to the highest boost psi I might want, and then use the Holley HP system to step into the full pressure. I'd like to try to just step it after the wheels come down. The turbo seems to take a second to move my MAP up from 15 to 21 PSI. I'm going to add a little air tank regulator pressure and change the pressure to 25 psi and see if it acts the same.

I think I can just mount the low pressure regulator next to me, and use it as a dial a boost.

89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Do you use a 2.5 lb?

What do you think of my idea of using a single bottle for shift and then step regulating down to maybe 10 psi or whatever it takes to add gate pressure??

I want add enough dome pressure to just get my boost to the highest boost psi I might want, and then use the Holley HP system to step into the full pressure. I'd like to try to just step it after the wheels come down. The turbo seems to take a second to move my MAP up from 15 to 21 PSI. I'm going to add a little air tank regulator pressure and change the pressure to 25 psi and see if it acts the same.

I think I can just mount the low pressure regulator next to me, and use it as a dial a boost.
yes... 2.5lb bottle...

we use a regulator on the bottle regulated down with this
Dedenbear ABR, Dedenbear CO2 Bottles, Kits & Accessories | Dedenbear

may need too run a 2nd inline regulator for an air shifter. i cant remember what pressure they need to be ran at
TomR likes this.

DT Racing and Fabrication

Crew Chief
Roche Racing engines Billet headed windsor! in da 6's with the chutes out before the 1000'
my car-88lx- 408" stock block gangster!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Taprite 5741PMHPT - Primary High Pressure Mixed Gas Beer Regulator - Double Gauge | BeverageFactory.com

Try these guy's for your regulator. They also sell the 2.5lb bottle but I couldn't find it. I saved a few dollars going to them.
TomR likes this.

94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I'll get on this when my car is back from the chassis shop.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I didn't think about it when I looked up that regulator but if you go to their site they also make a dual regulator. That way if you needed to different pressures for your shifter and the other one for your boost control you would have it.
TomR likes this.

94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm making a bottle holder out of 4.5 inch ID 5 inch OD 6061-T6 aluminum tube.

I'll use dual regulators, a high side regulator for the shifter and a low side that feeds off the shifter pressure regulator to the boost controller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement