Hotside wrap, pros & cons - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Hotside wrap, pros & cons

Getting ready to start installing the hotside and was curious about wrapping the entire thing. It's an On3 kit, mild steel. Downpipe is already wrapped. I've read that wrapping helps spooling, and lowers under hood temps, but can also trap too much heat and cause cracking in welds and warping of flanges. Any truth to either of these? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I hate wraps. Despite any potential benefits I'm not wrapping my new system we're building.
From experience with the old system the wrap acts like a sponge collecting dirt and any oil that may be leaking. Now I prefer looks over performance so I'm willing to lose 1-2hp and instead I'm looking into either having the pipes chrome plated or ceramic coated or a combination of both processes.

I don't think you want to wrap bare steel pipes. I think you still want to have them ceramic coated to protect the steel then add wrap over that. That's what my old system had and the pipes still look great.

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I've fully wrapped evey kit I've messed with. Won't hesitate on the one I'm putting together now. Everything is cooler, plug wires last longer, etc.

Turbocharged 87 GT T Top
XBL Tag: Mikemachine812
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 11:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Mine is wrapped, too. I wrapped because of heat. Not because of spool or power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2016, 12:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Wraps have a lot of pros, at the expense of more stress on the exhaust.

Lower underhood temps, higher turbocharger efficiency, less heat soak

People crack manifolds, and other people run top-level prototype cars through 24 hours of race conditions. People like Audi's Lemans team use fancy alloys, but more conventionally-made manifolds don't have to fail just because they're heat wrapped.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/audi-...the-year-2013/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audi21_1459051830555.jpg (128.0 KB, 13 views)
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I always coat everything and wrap any pipe that goes near any other vital components ie into the engine bay. Zero cons to report. Was under the impression that it would need replaced every few years naturally, but I have it on setups going 5 years plus now no issue.

07 Grabber Orange GT Prem/Vert/6060/3.55
S&H Twin turbo kit, 6262 oil-less Comp turbos
9:1 compression 281, turbo cams, e85
[email protected],[email protected]
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
my only regret is not trying the silicone spray to protect the wrap.... not sure if you guys have tried it but supposedly it makes it last longer. my hot side was coated in and out which helped although not as much as wrapping it afterwards.

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2016, 03:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
pros...
keeps under hood temps down (huge for a race team who has work to do between rounds)
keeps heat IN the tubes which helps with spooling

cons
its a royal pain in the ass to do
they hold in moisture

we did it a few years ago and have have had to replace a few sections over the years but nothing major

DT Racing and Fabrication

Crew Chief
Roche Racing engines Billet headed windsor! in da 6's with the chutes out before the 1000'
my car-88lx- 408" stock block gangster!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement