AMS500 Boost controller wiring question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-16-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (26)
Garage
AMS500 Boost controller wiring question

Couple questions on how to wire this god forsaken thing.

I want to preface this with a couple things. While wiring certainly is my weakest skill, I built the entire car (a twin turbo Cobra) in my garage with a floor jack and hand tools, so I'm not completely inept. I tried calling AMS and the guy made me feel like an idiot, as if he had no idea what I was talking about. Perhaps I wasn't explaining it correctly or something.

My question is regarding the 2 inputs which allow you to select the two different boost levels. According to RTFM, you can select to have these inputs activated by either a power or a ground. I elected to use a ground, and positioned the selector inside the unit as such.

The switches I bought are run of the mill, off the shelf at a parts store switches with 3 electrical tabs on the back; one for power, one for ground, and the last for whatever accessory it is you are looking to switch. According to the AMS wiring diagram, the yellow wire is for input 1, the blue wire is for input 2. The diagram also shows only the input wire, and one other wire going to the switch; either the 12V power or ground, depending on how you have it selected in the unit.

So my question is this. Do I just run a ground wire, and the input wire to the switch, or must I also connect a 12V key on power source to the switch? The reason this is confusing, is there is an LED indicator on the switch that illuminates with just the input wire, and a ground wire (NO power wire) hooked up, so the switch is obviously seeing 12V from the boost controller unit itself, unless my car is Zeus and it's manufacturing electricity from the chassis.

Next question. If/when I finally get these switches wired properly, when I activate one, should the unit indicate with the LED on the actual AMS500 that input 1 has been selected for example? As of right now, it illuminates the 'power' LED with the key on, and when I hit the switch for input 1, it just rapidly flashes every single LED .

This install seemed so straight forward, I don't understand what the problem is. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Aslan

TT 1998 Crystal White Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-17-2016, 08:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
can't answer your first question but second one is easy and yes it will indicate which input is live

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement