• 1 Post By TomR
  • 1 Post By TomR
  • 2 Post By TomR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
New turbo 76 to an 82

The guy at the local turbo shop called it right.

He said I would gain 200-300 with the same boost by just by dropping backpressure with one of his custom ported S480's with a racing housing and that is what it did. It gained over 200, but we do not know exactly how much because we could not keep the tires stuck to the wheel very far over 1000.

This should bump me from 5.4 down to 5.1 or less if I can keep traction, which I'm real happy with in a quiet full interior car with power winders running though mufflers on Pro radials. I know this isn't the fastest car around, but this has been a lot of work so I am pretty happy.

I'm so happy, I decided to buy myself a crank trigger today and ditch the TFI dizzy.

kbscobravert, HLD-TYT and DreadFox like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
Nice! Which turbo shop, if you don't mind me asking?

MFT
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
CONGRATS, Tom!
That's some serious Go Fast power that should definitely increase the pucker factor!

ks
TomR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadFox View Post
Nice! Which turbo shop, if you don't mind me asking?
A little shop up in Griffin GA. Nicolas Automotive Repair. They have a turbo shop and DynoJet Dyno. Yiyito has a room there where him and another fellow build turbos. It looks like a fairly good setup. They have a pretty big lathe and mill, and just dozens and dozens of turbos.

I think this is him
https://www.facebook.com/nicolasautorepair/timeline

Here is Nicholas in his RX7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0GxgvPu3I

I have a list of stuff now.

I need to take some BBW's off Craigslist to sit on my truck for traction.

I ordered a crank trigger system Thursday morning.

I have to move the radiator inlet somehow so I can get an air inlet system on the turbo.

I have to get the intercooler back down.

I probably should get rid of the factory style engine mounts, although the engine did not look like it rocked too bad.

I have a new rear end with spool and 35 splines with 9 inch ends. (Thanks for the tabs Kevin!) That will be my secret 8 lug setup.

Then I gotta go to a chassis shop and get some beefing up for the control arms.

Then I'll be ready to take on an LS.
DreadFox likes this.

89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 01:50 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
Nice. I've been looking but don't want to have to worry about my DP not lining up perfectly.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbscobravert View Post
Nice. I've been looking but don't want to have to worry about my DP not lining up perfectly.
Yeah, I cut my intercooler end off today, milled the end, and tack welded extensions in place to tilt and move the inlet for better alignment with the turbo outlet. I will TIG it up tomorrow.

The bigger turbo moved the turbo outlet a couple inches forward, so I have no choice but to move the IC inlet.

Race cars. Always work.
DreadFox likes this.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 03:42 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Yeah, I cut my intercooler end off today, milled the end, and tack welded extensions in place to tilt and move the inlet for better alignment with the turbo outlet. I will TIG it up tomorrow.

The bigger turbo moved the turbo outlet a couple inches forward, so I have no choice but to move the IC inlet.

Race cars. Always work.
Got a pic of it in yet?

You ready to delve into CNP? I'm using the Holley coils, crank triggER and an explorer cam sensor if you have any setup questions.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbscobravert View Post
Got a pic of it in yet?

You ready to delve into CNP? I'm using the Holley coils, crank triggER and an explorer cam sensor if you have any setup questions.
Thanks, but I'm staying with my CD ignition and just using my Ford TFI dizzy as the spark router. I bought some kit with 36 teeth that uses a missing tooth as the locator, but I'm am not sure yet how that will work without a cam sensor. Maybe I can use the TFI as a cam sensor?

post #9 of 11 Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Awesome you picked up that much. S480s are pretty great turbos. Congrads

What does your exhaust consist of? Mufflers?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk91coupe View Post
Awesome you picked up that much. S480s are pretty great turbos. Congrads

What does your exhaust consist of? Mufflers?
I'm going to make some test passes Saturday and get in a street class race Sunday. We will see if the dyno and tracks agree, although I'm nervous about my 33 spline Wavetrac and 4 lugs now. It was very consistent 5.4's ET before this change.

I just finished re-welding my intercooler inlet at a new angle so the IC can sit back on the cradle above the water pump, so I'm done except for swapping the rear end (spool and 35 spline 8 lug) and installing the crank trigger.

My exhaust goes from 4" under the car to a Y right by the trans tail shaft. The Y feeds to dual 3" to the dual Borola XS 3" mufflers with turn downs at the back axle.

HLD-TYT and DreadFox like this.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2016, 08:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
is the tire spinning on the rollers or is the wheel spinning inside it? if the former, use that track bite! If the latter, time for bead locks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement