purchasing turbo 1994 1995 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
purchasing turbo 1994 1995

Well, got the cash and I am headed out tomorrow.

What components have I not thought of to make this thing work? It is the Cartech Street Sleeper w/ upgraded head unit, and custom 3" tubes. I am getting 42lb injectors and 80mm MAS. I know I will need to add a 255lph fuel pump plus an additional in line pump. Anyhing I am forgetting?

Oh yeah, I will have a few parts available soon, incluiding barely used 30lb injectors, long tubes, h pipe, and a 190 lph pump.

Any help out there?

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 12:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Congratulations!

This is probably a given, and a small ticket item..... different (colder) spark plugs.

Have you thought about any gauges? Fuel, boost, EGT etc.

post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, gauges are are on the list. I am also thinking a Trick Flow R or the Edelbrock Performer racing intake. Something to flow more air.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 07:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
You may want to step down in gear, turbo cars are gonna respond a bit better to less gear since they'll loads the turbo faster (faster spool, quicker boost yield), and what kinda mufflers are you using??

What kinda fuel pump are you going with? I'm gonna buy a 255 intank soon and thinking about just using a T-rex inline w/that...hopefully that should enough. I've heard a lot of good things about the Walbro high pressure inline and intank pumps as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

That is a good point about the rear end. I got a 255 in tank as part of the deal. I need to decide about the in line.

I am running a MAC cat back. I have read that you need to select mufflers that are chambered to provide little or no back pressure. I am not sure how the MACs rate in that department. More research is required on my part.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 10:28 PM

Long Tubes

Catfish,
Sounds like one hellava combo! Keep us updated. I also agree about the rear gear.
PM me about the long tubes...
post #7 of 9 Old 12-28-2002, 11:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by Catfish
I am running a MAC cat back. I have read that you need to select mufflers that are chambered to provide little or no back pressure. I am not sure how the MACs rate in that department. More research is required on my part.
The general consensus is that ANY chambered muffler is not optimal for a turbo setup...since they like very little backpressure (if any) most of the turbo crowd will agree that non-chambered mufflers will work best 9 times out of 10. You can go here...

www.turbomustangs.com

...and run some queries there, there was actually a dyno test that proved to show an increase of 20+ rwhp just from switching from flows to a set of Dynomax Race Magnums (I think, or maybe some other closely resembled straight through muffler design)...it may sound a bit much but gains like that are very common in the turbo crowd...and I'm talking about street cars like ours too, not some 8-9 sec drag queen. The mufflers/catback for n/a stangs doesn't prove to yield much for the most part but the gains are totally different w/turbo cars. I just ordered a Borla catback to use w/my setup...there have been quite a few happy turbo owners who have praised their system, hopefully it will work ok for me. I think you're car will still run good even w/the Mac setup, but know there is DEFINITELY some power left on the table if you use a chambered muffler. Good luck w/the setup man.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 12-29-2002 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-29-2002, 08:58 AM

Yeah, you do not want chambered mufflers... although I ran Mac Flow Path in 3" for years and they sounded great (until I went to dumps - then they were rediculously loud). Now I have Dynomax Ultra Flo welded 3" mufflers, they still have a nice rumble at idle, once you start to get on boost they are quiet. And being a straight through muffler, I picked up a lot of power and the turbo spools up WAY faster now. Here's a video of it on the street.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/car_ima...deos/Boost.wmv
post #9 of 9 Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Dan
Yeah, you do not want chambered mufflers... although I ran Mac Flow Path in 3" for years and they sounded great (until I went to dumps - then they were rediculously loud). Now I have Dynomax Ultra Flo welded 3" mufflers, they still have a nice rumble at idle, once you start to get on boost they are quiet. And being a straight through muffler, I picked up a lot of power and the turbo spools up WAY faster now. Here's a video of it on the street.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/car_ima...deos/Boost.wmv
Holy Smokin' Tires Batman!!!! That was damn nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement