TIAL springs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
TIAL springs

Gents

I have a question about TIAL spring colors. My Quicktime kit came with a TIAL yellow spring installed in a 44mm gate. The car made 11.4 pound on that spring. That was suppose to be a 9? pound spring. So the car made over what the spring was. I want to turn up the boost so bad. I bought a RED spring that is suppose to be a TIAL spring. That spring is suppose to be a 11.6.

Now heres is where I am getting confused/worried. The ones that came with my kit are about 4.3" tall and 2.3" in diameter. The red one is a half an inch taller. So that is causing me some confusion . I am really worried about over boosting on pump gas.

When I look at TIAL website and or around the net I keep seeing different colors and poundage listed for that color. My kit is about 6-8 years old.

Why is the spring taller if it is indeed a TIAL spring. I tried using a regulator to check PSI but its not able to make such fine adjustments and guage is not marked in small enough increments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
This doesn't really answer your question, but why don't you put a spring in there for low boost and just buy a MBC? I bought a turbo smart MBC and it has worked perfectly for 3 yrs

post #3 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I really should do that. I really don't have an excuse other than I'm not familiar with them. I don't make changes to the setup because it's worked for so long. I just have gotten bored and wants some more after 5-6 years or something like that. No one I know runs a boost controller so I will be in my own. I'm gonna look yours up and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have the On3 kit with I believe the 6# spring in there. I installed a Hallman Pro MBC, and was able to adjust the boost up to 10# with no problems. I believe it was 1/2 of a turn to add 1 PSI of boost, so adjusting it was very simple to keep adding more boost.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm going to get one. I am installing a lift as we speak so when that's done I will get back in the car. Which it being so reliable for so long I a worried about becoming a jack stand queen. The car has been a blast. Making just under 600 at 11 lbs. I really want about 15. With that and the new turbo 7675 I hope to be at or close to 700.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

What about in car control? Update.... Turbosmart on the way.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLD-TYT View Post
What about in car control? Update.... Turbosmart on the way.
Order

I don't do in car control, so I cannot comment on it.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Again thanks Dave!
post #9 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM

I have a turbosmart and love it. Very user friendly.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (161)
tial has a reference chart and now having a baseline data (spring vs what you saw) you should be able to dial it in to whatever you want

TiAL Sport - Wastegate Tech

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #11 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I seen that. What has bothered me is the size of the springs vs a know TIAL Spring. The eBay one is taller than the know TIAL.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 02:44 PM

so you're using a non-tial spring???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #13 of 18 Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

No. The guy I bought it from said it was a TIAL but the height difference caused me too much concern. I have reinstalled my 9lbs spring the car has had for a while now and I bought a MBC from Turbosmart. Adding that and meth so............... I really hope to add 100-150.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-20-2016, 07:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (30)
I have the large yellow for my 2 60mm gates. It's rated at 6.5# but it actually sees 8.5#. not sure why it's so far off from what it was supposed to be.

[email protected]
Holley EFI
Conventional thinking yields conventional results

post #15 of 18 Old 02-20-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

It was explained to me that the difference in spring pressure vs actual pressure is related to back pressure. Just repeating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezy74 View Post
I have the large yellow for my 2 60mm gates. It's rated at 6.5# but it actually sees 8.5#. not sure why it's so far off from what it was supposed to be.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 AM

your reference point and quality of tubing can have an affect. i'm sure tial can provide springs that are rated to within fraction of a psi but then everyone would bitch about the cost. i'm only seeing about a 1.5psi delta (rated vs actual) and again it's just a reference point.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hooke's law my friend. F = -KX where:

F = Force to hold spring at a position X, which depends on spring constant K.

This spring constant basically describes the stiffness of the spring, which can depend on material and thickness.

a longer spring doesn't mean a tighter spring if the material is weaker or the coil diameter is smaller. Also, the "crack pressure" will depend on how much the spring is being compressed inside the wastegate housing and also by the size of the gate valve. The former typically differs from one gate to another so it is always difficult to perfectly calculate what the crack pressure will be for a given spring. Just get one that you know is low and run a MBC. That's the best way to keep your car from overboosting in my opinion.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Completely agree and have done just that. Thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
Hooke's law my friend. F = -KX where:

F = Force to hold spring at a position X, which depends on spring constant K.

This spring constant basically describes the stiffness of the spring, which can depend on material and thickness.

a longer spring doesn't mean a tighter spring if the material is weaker or the coil diameter is smaller. Also, the "crack pressure" will depend on how much the spring is being compressed inside the wastegate housing and also by the size of the gate valve. The former typically differs from one gate to another so it is always difficult to perfectly calculate what the crack pressure will be for a given spring. Just get one that you know is low and run a MBC. That's the best way to keep your car from overboosting in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement