Twin Charged 347 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B0jangles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Turbo + SuperCharged 347

So I know I'm fixing to open up a can of works here I know. First let me say, I'm a person that DOESNT race or anything related. I build cars to attend cruise-ins and pretty much sit in my shop and look at. I'm not a top end speed fan either.(Crazy I know, but cant take the money with you) I want the HOLY S*** factor when someone looks in the engine compartment.
I'm in the process of building a Boss blocked, 4340balanced crank, eagle 3d H beam Rods, CP custom turbo pistons, Custom Turbo Cam from Bullet Racing, Holley SysteMax, On3 76mm BB turbo at the moment.
I need an opinion on a turbocharged plus supercharged 347. Yes I know one or the other would work better, but I like to be different. Does anyone think that feeding a turbo with a cent supercharger like a vortech work. I know that Power dyne offers a drivers side mount SC and a single turbo would be passenger side mount.
I was thinking that the supercharger could feed into the bell mouth of the turbo, if I could do this all the compressed air would be intercooled through one cooler, metered and all. I see this done on some performance diesel applications, just wondering on a gas burner. I'm just not sure if the air coming through the supercharger hurt the turbo, or if this turbo would try and surge. I know that once air is compressed through the SC that the turbo wouldn't have to work as hard either. As I stated earlier I'm not a big fan of hammering a car-engine at 6000 rpm's for 8 seconds, maybe more like 2secs.
Well I have been throwing around this twin charged deal, just wanted some insight on this. I really don't see why it wouldn't work, pretty much all I would be out is the price of a used SC. If anyone has any other ideas please pass them on. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM

Garage
There's a guy who did it with a blower and really complicated intake routing, i dont remember if it was sbf or sbc.

Half the group B field tried it once or twice at the peak of rally racing too, you could steal ideas from there

The tricky part is actually getting it to work nicely and making it better than just a blower. Audi and the like did it to get low end response and high boost. Those cars were running ridiculous power and would walk the F1 cars of the time on asphalt

Cool idea, but the execution can get convoluted and messy quick. A turbo feeding a kenne bell or similar seems like the cleanest way to put it together, instead of having two snails doing different things in there

895point0 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0jangles View Post
There's a guy who did it with a blower and really complicated intake routing, i dont remember if it was sbf or sbc.

Half the group B field tried it once or twice at the peak of rally racing too, you could steal ideas from there

The tricky part is actually getting it to work nicely and making it better than just a blower. Audi and the like did it to get low end response and high boost. Those cars were running ridiculous power and would walk the F1 cars of the time on asphalt

Cool idea, but the execution can get convoluted and messy quick. A turbo feeding a kenne bell or similar seems like the cleanest way to put it together, instead of having two snails doing different things in there
Yes I had thought about a KB also, but like the sound of a Vortech at idle and also the polished compressor housing on both. Thanks for the reply. I'm still rolling the idea around in my head. Seems like it would work but as you said Seems like and Will are two total different things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Garage
Its definitely doable, just a big undertaking for not a huge reward as far as the driveability benefits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement