5speed to auto w turbo?(c4) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
5speed to auto w turbo?(c4)

I have a 87 mustang 302car w a hellion turbo setup running 12psi 70 tri, I currently have a 3550 5 speed semi built with 3.27s just wondering if any body is running the same rear gear on their turbo car that drives it on the street a lot. I put like 4k miles on my car this year and only been to the track 3 times so it is mostly a street car. Any body have any input? do they hate it on the park way I kinda enjoy cruising at 80 now but would really hate to cruise at 65mph etc.Been considering a pa built c4 but might even consider a
t400 or 4l80 since the car is getting a holley dominator setup that could control the 4l80.however the c4 is cheap and no fitment issues and built ones w nearly no miles are everywhere.

feel free to move this if wrong section just figured if I was anywhere else I would get a lot of different answers not turbo car related..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Ran 3.27 gears in my car on the streets for 2 years and had no problems with them at all. T-5 for the 1st year and then a built AODE the following year. Much faster car with the AODE. pulled very hard.

Car/92 5.0/ Engine stock block/ and bolt-ons.. [email protected] (sold)

97 Cobra All stock for now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
not sure what you mean about hating the c4 but if you are talking about the cruise RPM drive your car around in 4th gear that is what it will be with the C4

Turbo 306,How fast will it go that depends on who is around.. Local parts pimp.. Things for sale most stuff is OBO https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hvqaA8aKICIw6BBj3IU2KCwiv86TtWXmxmvrsd8lw1A/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (29)
The 4l80e is a great street od trans, you won't have an issue with that.

Just another slow mustang with a single turbo....
post #5 of 7 Old 12-17-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstangdriver View Post
not sure what you mean about hating the c4 but if you are talking about the cruise RPM drive your car around in 4th gear that is what it will be with the C4
I usually doe so that's good to know I was just worried about high way cruising thanks! the blow thru isn't a fan of lugging in 5th so that should be about fine then especially on my big 275-60s
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
From reading your responses, I can't help but think there's some options for you.

I started out with a TKO 600. Went to a Powerglide and later added a GearVendors OD.
The switch from manual to auto was awesome. The addition of OD was icing on the cake.

That said, any your 4th gear should be "close" to what high gear will be like in a non-OD trans. Absolutely you will see some differences between a clutch and a torque converter. But it's "close."
If you like 4th gear, than the C4 is an easy option.

What I'm scratching my head on is your turbo car doesn't like to lug in 5th.
I would address that issue if as you say it is a street car more than a strip car.
IMO, once you address that issue, you will truly enjoy 5th gear.
Mine and a lot of other turbo cars love to be under hard load.

My fear is you install a non-OD auto. Because 4th gear is OK for now. Then fix the breakup when lugging.
Then wish you had OD again.
As with any car upgrades, they seem to never stop!
But we all know it's cheaper to do the job once!

For a street car, I really think OD is the way to go.
Fix the lugging issue, and really see some improvements.

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2015, 08:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crfrider View Post
Been considering a pa built c4 ,the c4 is cheap and no fitment issues and built ones w nearly no miles are everywhere..
Just my 2 cents worth. There are several reasons why there are a ton of c4'stuff out there. While it is a good transmission it has it's limits. Especially when it comes to parts. You mentioned performance automatic. They are a well advertised company. But my personal experience with them was very bad. There 6 pinion planetary came apart. Granted I was beating on it pretty hard and it got hot. But what happened was that the split pins that hold the gear shafts in came out and destroyed the trans. They kept their word and replaced it, but would not pay for anything else. The planetary they sent to replace it had big dents in the thrust bearing surface. So they sent me a second replacement, it was worse than the first one. So I bit the bullet on the cost of that and all the rest of the transmission and ordered my parts from coan. When I received their planetary the split pins had been welded in to prevent the failure that I had with the PA planetary. Long story short stay away from performance automatic.
After it was rebuilt with the coan parts I beat on that transmission for 4 years with zero problems.

94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement