IAT sensor before Meth Nozzle - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
IAT sensor before Meth Nozzle

Any of you guys running the IAT pre-Meth nozzle and having any issues? I have a 90 rubber boot before the TB and its damn near impossible to have the IAT and the nozzle after the 90 bend before the TB. Its an on3 kit in a foxbody

93 coupe.10:1 331 stroker,holley aluminum heads,lunati 61011 cam,30lb injectors,ported evplorer intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (28)
I don't think you'll have the best results with the IAT sensor before the meth, as the computer will not have any idea what the *actual* air temp is. If you have it tuned that way, it *might* work, but that actual temp will vary as things heat up under the hood. More importantly, with the IAT pre-meth, and the EEC working on the assumption that it's there, what happens if you run out of fluid, or the pump quits, or a line pops off, etc.? BOOM! rattle rattle rattle..... That's what happens!

How about a pic or two of your setup? I'm sure someone will have an idea or two.

Andy

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Lol. Thats exactly what Im afraid of.

93 coupe.10:1 331 stroker,holley aluminum heads,lunati 61011 cam,30lb injectors,ported evplorer intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM

Is there a bung in your intake at the number five runner? Some say it's not the ideal location for the IAT, but that would solve your problem.

Andy
post #5 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah there is one in the runner and I guess thats where it might have to stay. I know the best spot for it would be the intake piping but it just wont work out that way. I dont have any pics with me but the only way it would work is before the last 90 bend before the TB and that wouldn't be worth a crap

post #6 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

The only pic I have is not a closeup but you can see what I mean basically. Not enough room for the meth nozzle and IAT in that last run before the TB. And how I would get that IAT to stay in that rubber boot is beyond me with it bein 3/8npt

post #7 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok so it wont let me attach a pic...

post #8 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I run the iat before the nozzle and my iat adder table is disabled. I safely run enough fuel/timing with meth in case the system malfunctions.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunso View Post
The only pic I have is not a closeup but you can see what I mean basically. Not enough room for the meth nozzle and IAT in that last run before the TB. And how I would get that IAT to stay in that rubber boot is beyond me with it bein 3/8npt
I used a step bit to make a small hole in the rubber elbow on the inlet side of my Vortech, and screwed in a 3/8" NPT fitting for my PCV fresh air. This elbow is pretty darned thick, though. I wouldn't do it if it's less than 1/4" wall. (It's also not under pressure.) I drilled and tapped in the aluminum intake elbow for my IAT, but you don't have one of those.

My BBK TB was previously drilled and tapped for a pipe fitting (1/4" or 1/8" - I don't remember which) which I assume was for nitrous or meth. I'll be happy to post up a pic if you think it would be helpful. What size are the threads on your meth nozzle?

Andy
post #10 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR351 View Post
I run the iat before the nozzle and my iat adder table is disabled. I safely run enough fuel/timing with meth in case the system malfunctions.
Same here. The tuner had to disable that part of the table b/c IATs would go to 160* and the computer was trying to pull timing even tho the meth was spraying after it. He was tuning it based on the Safeguard knock detector and AF.

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #11 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Water/Meth nozzle before the iat. Spray pre compressor.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-04-2015, 12:46 AM

There are mixed opinions on injecting meth pre-turbo, and concern with impeller damage if the spray droplets aren't small enough, or if excess fluid is introduced. There can be benefit, though, if done correctly. I've also read that spraying after turbo, but before intercooler can be detrimental, as the fluid can drop out of the airflow as it slows, and gather in the IC. It seemed that the best cooling effects were said to be achieved with a small amount injected pre-turbo with a low-volume high-pressure pump/injector, and more meth injected post-IC. Everything seems to point to it being best before the IAT, though.

I would suggest contacting Michael Plummer here and asking him to give his input into this thread.

Andy
post #13 of 13 Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Just put it in the #5 runner..

95 Crystal White Cobra #702
Sponsored Links
Advertisement