Flipping bbk's for turbo and keeping a/c and p/s? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Flipping bbk's for turbo and keeping a/c and p/s?

I've got a few things planned in case it doesn't work but I'm trying to do this by using up some old parts I have, one being shorties. I'd like to keep the a/c and p/s on it but I'm not sure if the dr. side will work being flipped and how close it would be to the p/s pump. Anyone successfully done this?

If there is clearance issues, I have several directions I can go but one in particular is to switch the p/s pump for a hydra boost style with the remote reservoir. Then I'll figure out the mounting solution to free up some space so the flipped shorty will work.

I know anything can be done with the right amount of fab work but I'd like to have an idea so I can do some more brainstorming.

If anyone has photos or can at least provide some detailed info they would be kind enough to share of what the clearances will or could possibly be, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (136)
what year car/motor setup? I'm assuming a 302..but just guessing here..several people have used the bbk's and flipped them like you are talking about..the foxbody and its accessories arrangement are a lil more friendly to work with,as the sn95 front gets crowded fast..

are you talking about using a 4.6 power steering pump? how are you going to mount it?

post #3 of 9 Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Sorry Quicktime, I thought that I included the setup in the post. Its an 82gt 302 that I'm converting to efi as well. It also has all original fox front drive except for smog.

Yes I've considered using the 96-04 4.6 pump to save for space if the dr. header is up against the pump housing or if the header won't even bolt up because it's hitting.

I'm in afghanistan so all I have to go by is online photos of the 4.6 pump. I'd assume for mounting I'd trim down the original bracket to pull it tighter to the timing cover and fab the mounting tabs for the pump as I go along. Or possibly make my own bracket if the factory won't work out as intended. Thats merely an idea as an alternate if the bbk shorty won't clear the large factory pump.

I've tried searching every forum and photo in google and bing that I can think of thats involving factory type shortys and turbos. None have been found that are using both a/c and p/s with a factory type shorty, most are ones where the p/s pump has been moved up higher and a/c eliminated or cars only using an alternator. The ones of course that are being used with both a/c and p/s are aftermarket kits that are cheap stainless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else have any info or insight to this?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I don't have any experience with what you are trying to do. Not yet anyways. But I have experience with bigger motors in small engine compartments. I have a few ideas. One is Electronic Power Steering, that would allow you to do away all the hoses, pump, and the fluid. A few people have converted over to electric in the older mustangs. It would require some engineering but it doesn't seem too hard in a Mustang.

Best $200 mod ever (EPS). - Page 7 - Vintage Mustang Forums

Another possible solution is a aftermarket turbo kit. B&G seems to have a good reputation as far as I can tell from my research.

79-93 5.0 MUSTANG STAGE 1 ELIMINATOR KIT. Rev.8.On Sale! - $3,199.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Just throwing out possible ideas for you. Thank You for what you are doing down range, stay safe.

1994 Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed- Daily Driver/Project

Retired Army. OEF Veteran.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (43)
I've had to cut the end off and reroute it at a different angle when I did mine. I don't have pictures of it though.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Formerly known as 20thAniv

Trader Feedback: (13)
I did it. There isn't a lot of clearance, but I have a couple thousand miles on my setup, and I haven't had any issues. I'll try to get some better pictures, so you can see what kind of clearance I have, but here's the header.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
, KWS Images on FB and IG
https://forums.corral.net/forums/turbochargers/1379238-unaturals-diy-build.html
post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
+1 ive done it as well...you can either run an oil filter relocation kit, or do like i did and run a short WIX filter (dont recall the part #)

I did have to remove the front swaybar, but granted the was in a 94 GT ***with*** foxbody front accessories....(ac, ps, everything except smog)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Formerly known as 20thAniv

Trader Feedback: (13)
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have one of the 90* adapters for the oil filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement