underhood temps - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
underhood temps

my current set up has been battling overheating issues when having to sit in traffic a little bit, living in Houston that's always gonna happen at some point. There has been no cooling problems while driving 50+ but low speeds the temps keep creeping up and up.

Motor is a Boss 331, Hellion turbo kit, stock water pump, 180* thermostat, SN95 fan, aluminum radiator, etc. Ive put a PTP Turbo blanket and wrapped the downpipe in their same lava wrap.

will wrapping the headers help lower the under hood temps quite a bit? I'm still running a stock hood so to me it seems like the hot air really doesn't have any way to escape quick enough when sitting in traffic, just wondering if it would help or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
it will and it will help spool but may not fix your problem completely

what fan are you running?

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #3 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
it will and it will help spool but may not fix your problem completely

what fan are you running?

Running a SN95 fan, Ive tried a dual Contour fan as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM

sorry I missed that part. anyways traffic heating issues are all fan and the SN95 has some good flow although you could always try the mother of all fans if you know what I mean. check the Tstat as it could be sticking. other than that maybe someone else will chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #5 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
sorry I missed that part. anyways traffic heating issues are all fan and the SN95 has some good flow although you could always try the mother of all fans if you know what I mean. check the Tstat as it could be sticking. other than that maybe someone else will chime in.

which is the "mother of all fans"? lol
post #6 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Lincoln mark 8

post #7 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I agree that the issue is more about cooling the water in the radiator more than the temps under the hood. Need more airflow through the radiator and/or a larger radiator. Don't forget that air has to escape from under the hood too.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #8 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Are you running a underdrive pulley?
post #9 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
i'm doing a turbo build for my fox and have purchased a Lincoln Mark Viii fan. Hoping I don't have any overheat issues.

Mustang Mafia
post #10 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
I'd definitely try wrapping at least the cross over. But without the heat having a way to escape there's only so much that can be done. I've got a Cervinis heat extractor hood to go on my car over the winter while it's being painted for exactly that reason.

Hellion Heat 61mm turbo, 47lb/hr injectors, Aeromotive 305lph fuel pump, MSPNP2, Astro A5, stock 302 from throttle body to oil pan.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 PM

there's gotta be some guys with turbo setups and factory hoods with no cooling issues that can chime in

post #12 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
there's gotta be some guys with turbo setups and factory hoods with no cooling issues that can chime in
I did. My turbos are between the radiator and the engine, no pipes are wrapped and my car runs 175-185* even if it's 100* outside in downtown traffic.

It has a Mishimoto radiator and stock 4.6 fan. I even have a huge IC and the AC condenser in front of the radiator and no cowl hood.

I do not have inner fenders and there are two large holes to let air in/out of the engine bay in front of the air filters.

ks

Kevin Slaby
post #13 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Garage
Quote:
I have the stock hood, cheap SVE radiator, dual contour fans w painless controller and I haven't had any coolant temp issues. I also have a/c and heat exchanger.

Now underhood heat is a different story. Melted and cracked up my freshly primered scottrod panel and strut tower on the passenger side. I have a turbo blanket and everything wrapped. A cowl hood is in my future

90 LX- Tore up/down
91 LX- 5.0, MP70mm, 11r190, 517/550tq-12psi..565/615-14psi
93 LX notch 2.3 DD
post #14 of 36 Old 11-07-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC90FOX View Post
Are you running a underdrive pulley?

No under drive pulleys
post #15 of 36 Old 11-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
I agree about not having enough fan. I have a 351w, stock hood, cheap advance radiator for a stock 5.0, mark 8 fan, a/c and a GT-45 turbo and have no overheating issues.

92 Notch, 351 Windsor, Trick Flow cam, ported heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake, 5 speed,
AEM wide band, 3.27 gear, 70mm GT-45 with home built kit, megasquirt 2 v3.0 Running Extra Code and EDIS
post #16 of 36 Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Might even look into a different radiator if that one doesn't have enough cooling fins. What brand is it?

ks

Kevin Slaby
post #17 of 36 Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$ View Post
Might even look into a different radiator if that one doesn't have enough cooling fins. What brand is it?

ks

Its a Northern, was in the car when I bought it a few years ago and i think its the same as in the link

Northern Radiator® - Ford Mustang 1980-1993 Aluminum Radiator
post #18 of 36 Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM
ACJ

Trader Feedback: (10)
I have the same turbo kit on a 363 and my engine temp rise to about 210 . My project over the winter is to install this radiator support and remove the stock one because it block a lot of the IC and radiator . And lower my IC down a bit also and see does that help . I still have AC also and Contour fans .

post #19 of 36 Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM
ACJ

I have the same turbo kit on a 363 and my engine temp rise to about 210 . My project over the winter is to install this radiator support and remove the stock one because it block a lot of the IC and radiator . And lower my IC down a bit also and see does that help . I still have AC also and Contour fans .

Last edited by ACJ; 11-09-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Remove Double Post
post #20 of 36 Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
I know this post seems to be talking more about sitting still in traffic but if you are getting hot before you slow down or stop in traffic have you looked at your air deflector under the radiator support? It is there for a reason mostly while driving to help direct air to the radiator. The cooler it is while driving the longer it takes to get hot while sitting.

Just make sure the cooling system is up to task by applying all that has been suggested or shared. But since most turbo kits have the turbo(s) near the engine, you really need to consider some kind of hood vents or aftermarket functional cowl. I personally would have the cowl and in addition some vents that are near the turbo(s) to allow best underhood temperature control.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJ View Post

you mentioned the radiator support blocks most of the IC and radiator? are you referring to the bumper support cause the radiator support wont affect any of them I don't think since it sits below everything.
post #22 of 36 Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallawayVW View Post
I know this post seems to be talking more about sitting still in traffic but if you are getting hot before you slow down or stop in traffic have you looked at your air deflector under the radiator support? It is there for a reason mostly while driving to help direct air to the radiator. The cooler it is while driving the longer it takes to get hot while sitting.

Just make sure the cooling system is up to task by applying all that has been suggested or shared. But since most turbo kits have the turbo(s) near the engine, you really need to consider some kind of hood vents or aftermarket functional cowl. I personally would have the cowl and in addition some vents that are near the turbo(s) to allow best underhood temperature control.

yea its just creeping up and up when sitting in traffic. As I start driving again for a little bit to move some air it cools back down. I think I may wrap the rest of the hotside first then maybe try the Mark 8 fan if that doesn't help.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 PM

there's some good info in this thread and at the bottom are some things I did to keep my car cool. note that I had cooling issues even after I installed a cowl hood so not sure how much if any that helps. i'm now running a 195 Tstat and car still runs nice and cool.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/turb...continues.html

post #24 of 36 Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
ACJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrcoupe View Post
you mentioned the radiator support blocks most of the IC and radiator? are you referring to the bumper support cause the radiator support wont affect any of them I don't think since it sits below everything.
Dang it I meant Bumper support ! Thank you
post #25 of 36 Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dang it I meant Bumper support ! Thank you
Are those weld in or bolt in?
post #26 of 36 Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 AM
ACJ

Bolt In - Team Z Sales a version too.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bolt In - Team Z Sales a version too.

I have a Mark 8 fan being delivered this week that I'm going to try first, if that doesn't solve it then my next step will be to finish wrapping the entire hot side I think.
At some point I may have to replace the bumper support with a tubular piece but I'm gonna drill 4" holes in the stock one or cut it out to allow for more airflow first before I make a purchase. Trying to just change one thing at a time to pinpoint the problem, I still think its more of an air flow issue so far.
post #28 of 36 Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
My 363 stays at 160-170 even after hard passes with a Meziere electric pump, Derale PWM controllers, and Derale fan.

Some important things are:

1.) The radiator outlet has to stay at least 15 degrees below my target engine temperature in my car, or it won't be stable in temperature. I have to regulate the fan off the cold tank

2.) The fan has to move air over the entire radiator fin area, especially the cold side

89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #29 of 36 Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
Wrap the rest of your hotside. Wrap every bit of exhaust metal under the hood. Blanket on the turbo housing.

Put in the Mark viii fan.

Check your radiator for debris or crud. Flush accordingly.

A heat extracting style hood wouldn't hurt but those are only going to be noticed while moving. As the low pressure pulls the radiator fan exhaust and underhood heat out.

I put in a gt500 heat extractor vent in the middle of the hood and it made a huge difference. Even sitting still idling you can feel the heat coming out from the fan pushing it.
mbrcoupe likes this.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #30 of 36 Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbscobravert View Post
I put in a gt500 heat extractor vent in the middle of the hood and it made a huge difference. Even sitting still idling you can feel the heat coming out from the fan pushing it.

Any pictures of your GT500 vent install?
post #31 of 36 Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM

there's a thread in the road racing section... frankly on fox buddies they are fugly but that's my opinion

post #32 of 36 Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I wrapped the primaries in the car. That was interesting. Dont buy an overly snug blanket. Get one that covers all of the flanges as well. Get springs that snug the blanket well at the bottom. Those that have gone to the trouble of filling in all engine bay holes, have given up quite a bit of natural draw through ventilation. The hood seal at the back should also be considered deleted. Also those factory brackets block so much airflow to the front and sides of the engine. Air dam is a must.

1993 SVT Cobra Vibrant Red(the daily)
1988 GT 25.2 Matte Black/CF(jackstands)
2003 SVT 10th Ann Black(Sold)
post #33 of 36 Old 12-09-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Figured I'd give an update...

Ended up ordering a Mark VII electric fan and got it installed, had the car idling in the driveway after burping the cooling system for 20-30 min with no issues. It was about 76* outside today in Houston so it's nowhere near as hot as summer but I'm betting it'll work just fine in trafffic!!
post #34 of 36 Old 12-15-2015, 01:44 PM
ACJ

Have any you guys tried this piece . I think i'm add this also .

Clean up the front end of your 87-93 Mustang with the LX Mustang Grille Bar Eliminator. This kit will instantly make your Mustang's front fascia look sportier and cleaner while providing a larger opening with the elimination of the grille.

Installs easily with basic tools in 15 minutes (not including paint).

Last edited by ACJ; 12-15-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added Pic
post #35 of 36 Old 12-15-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Ive looked into them at several pictures on the net and just had mixed feelings about the way it looked. I'm sure it would help more airflow but it kinda looks "ston on" to me. I hate that you can really see the lines after the install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement