Reflect-a-gold opinions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-10-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (15)
Reflect-a-gold opinions

Couldn't find any results on here for this. I am thinking of ways to keep my engine bay cool for when I get my turbo kit early next year. I already have a 5" cowl hood, big e-fan, and good radiator. I plan on using an external oil cooler, using a 55gpm elec pump, turbo blanket, running e85, and using a lot of thermal barrier material which is where my question is.

Any one use Reflect-a-gold or anything like it? I was thinking of coating and header-wrapping the whole hot side and downpipe. I am aware of the fire hazard and corrosion issue. I have read threads about people wanting to use it on the cold side to keep heat out but I read the responses that say it actually traps heat in once the cold side becomes heat soaked.

So if you have used heat reflecting tape, whats your experience? Does it trap heat in? Waste of time? Turbo blanket sufficient?

My goal is to efficiently and effectively manage underhood temps.

I had honestly never seen the stuff until I went to a cars n coffee event in Carlsbad, CA where pro skater Josh Kalis often takes his sweet 1200 hp TT camaro. Coulda sworn his pipes were wrapped in that stuff but as I look at pictures on google none of the pictures of his car show it.

Either way, any input on keeping heat on turbo applications down is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Reflectagold is the wrong product to use on any hot side piping IMO. It's basically a reflective foil on an adhesive backing and it would most definitely catch fire at the temperatures the exhaust can get to. It's only rated to around 800 fahrenheit for direct heat. DEIs Titanium wrap is rated to 1800 for direct. That's probably the product you are seeing used on those cars, or the lava equivalent. I wrapped all of my hot side under the hood with it with a turbo blanket.

I've wrapped the portion of the cold side on my fox from where it comes out of the fender to the throttle body with reflectagold since that portion is closest to the down pipe and I figured it couldn't hurt any.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (15)
Ahh shoot. Thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion. I MEANT to say that I was wrapping the hot side and then using the reflect-a-gold on the cold side, post-intercooler. Basically from intercooler outlet to throttle body. That is why I mentioned I had seen where people said it could trap heat in. So basically when its hot enough in there where the coldside plumbing becomes heat soaked, is it acutally still reflecting or is it holding it in? Just wanted some input from anyone thats used it or has used header wrap on the cold side too and what the best way to keep that cold side cold is. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Mine was a fresh build with everything wrapped before I installed it so I don't have any before or after temperature comparisons to rely on unfortunately. I do think the header wrap helps with under hood temps, but even with everything wrapped my car basically runs the fan constantly after it's up to temp trying to keep a lid on the heat (stock radiator, stock hood, electric SPAL fan).

As far as reflect-a-gold trapping heat in, once everything under the hood is completely heat soaked I doubt it makes a lick of difference either way. My goal with using the reflect a gold on the cold side piping above the down pipe was just to try and delay the onset of heat soak into that particular chunk of pipe as long as possible.

I've got a Cervinis Heat Extractor hood to go on which should help get some of the hot air out from under there. Also on the list is a bigger rad. I'm sure my 25 year old stock radiator has had about enough anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement