Single turbo install pics - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Single turbo install pics

I'm looking for single turbo install pictures. Specifically shots of header/down pipe/exhaust tubing. If you have some, or know of some on the web, please post up.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 07:36 PM

Cool

Oh, you mean something like this?.... Turbo Tech Race kit on my personal 93 LX, set up fo road racing, makes approximately 500 engine hp right now at 12 psi from the 60-1 hi-fi.

~Greg
Calibrated Success, Inc. EFI Training, Tuning, Consulting
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
post #3 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 08:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hey turbo, how is your p/s pump likin' life? Looks toasty.

BTW, I have a vortech and some pretty serious power adder envy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Nice pics. What size turbo is that, and do both headers feed it? Do you have any from underneath the car? I'd like to see the header, downpipe, and exhaust routing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fast SN-95; 12-18-2001 at 08:26 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 08:22 PM

use the search feature. someone just asked this like yesterday.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I searched for it, but I didn't see many pictures posted.

Thanks.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 09:36 PM

Arrow

I don't have any pics from underneath at the moment. I'll have to remember to take a few this winter while I'm taking the motor out to freshen rings/bearings.

But anyway... yes, the turbo is fed by exhaust from both banks. The passenger side feeds down and forward into a crossover pipe that runs under the front sump of the oil pan. After that, the crossover pipe and driver's side header merge into the "tree" that the turbine and wastegate (Turbonetics Racegate) both mount to. I know it's tough to visualize from the pic, but the downpipe goes directly underneath the driver's header and follows a more or less stock routing under the firewall on that side.

Not shown in these pics is the chrome heat shield for the exhaust housing. It's more to keep heat in the housing than prevent escaping heat from affecting the P/S pump. I ran it for a while without it with no problem, but later added it back in. Since I road race the car, it has a remotely mounted P/S cooler (a la 4.6 cobra and export) under the passenger side headlight just in case.

~Greg
post #8 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

turbolx do you have an air-to-air intercooler up front? Any pictures of that setup?

Thanks.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 10:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Yeah, last I saw yer car, it had twins on it from the Saab or whatever, its been a while....The more pictures the better really...Something I have been looking into doing, trying to find as much info a possible....
post #10 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 10:16 PM

Sure do...

It makes the ricers jealous. It's a two core and part of the Turbo Tech race kit. It fits right in front of the radiator where the A/C condensor used to be. The intercooler's location makes sure it gets plenty of air across the cores. It always stays cool to the touch, even after several hard runs on the street.

My old twin kit was actually an Incon 800tti kit. I ran that kit for over two years with no real problems. I just switched out show something a little different on the car now. It doesn't hurt that my "demo vehicle" actually shows a product I can deliver either.

~Greg
post #11 of 21 Old 12-18-2001, 10:37 PM

Is the engine still all the same, besides the change from twin to single? Which do you think is better, or what are your differences that you have noticed between the 2...??? I know that twin is much easier to actually do and get all working, but I'd prefer also to go with a single setup....
post #12 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 12:21 AM

No, I made some other changes over last winter when I changed from the Incon to Turbo Tech kit. I added a set of off the shelf TFS Twisted Wedge heads, TFS-R intake, F-303 cam, and 42#/hr injectors. So it's definitely a different creature now.

Actually, the Turbo Tech street and race single kits are an easier install than the Incon, mostly due to header bolt and spark plug access with the Incon manifolds. I did a few other things to make room for the race kit, but those were things that would have likely been done anyway. (Hiding the driver's side harness in the fenderwell, oil filter relocation kit) Maintainance on the single kits is FAR easier than the Incon twins as well.

Both kits spool very quickly. The Incon kit was set for 8-9 psi and had it at 2800rpm, the Turbo Tech kit is set for 12 psi and has it no later than 3200rpm. With the 3.73 gears I used to have, the twins came on almost too fast to get traction, even on DR's. Now I run the single with 3.27 gears and it's much easier to drive on the street with a stronger top end pull (likely due to my cam/intake combo).

~Greg
post #13 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 01:01 AM

Do you have any dyno runs or track ET/MPH's? And roughly what does a single turbo kit setup like that run? I just added a set of TW heads to my car and would say a supercharger is a very possible option in the next 1.5-2 years. But if a turbo kit is an option for roughly the same price I might look more into that. Thanks for any info, Ryan

How hard is the install and if too hard for me what would labor cost?
post #14 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turbolx
No, I made some other changes over last winter when I changed from the Incon to Turbo Tech kit. I added a set of off the shelf TFS Twisted Wedge heads, TFS-R intake, F-303 cam, and 42#/hr injectors. So it's definitely a different creature now.

Actually, the Turbo Tech street and race single kits are an easier install than the Incon, mostly due to header bolt and spark plug cam/intake combo).
Does Turbo Tech have a website?? I'm interested in that kit.. You hardly ever see turbo stuff even in the magz..

Thanks Dave.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 09:23 AM

www.turbotechnologyinc.com
should work for you.

High Performance Pontiac will be printing a single turbo (LS1) install article this spring. I know it's not a mustang, but I'd love to do one for MM&FF... Campy, give me a call!

Want2B, I never really had it on the dyno this year, sorry. One of the unfortunate side effects of owning a dyno shop is that your own personal projects get postponed to work on customer cars all summer. It did run about 122mph in the 1/4, but with too much wheelspin from the DR's. Boost dropped off from 12psi to 4psi every time the tires broke loose. I'll be running it on slicks next year so we can get a more accurate E.T. and MPH.

~Greg
post #16 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 10:12 AM

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/86...structions.htm

Thats the link to the install page, gives a few good pics from what I saw about running the exhaust under the front of the engine & stuff like that. However, their cost on that page runs it up to about $4000 for that setup, something I am sure I could fab up for a lot less....Oh well, at least I got the pics now for some reference material....
post #17 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 10:35 AM

There is an unbelievable amount of frustration associated with fabbing up a turbo kit from scratch. Keep in mind that pipe diameters and lengths can have a significant effect on overall performance and spool time. You really do get what you pay for with the Turbo Tech kits. I haven't had one yet that needed to be reworked to fit the vehicle. Some of the other "more affordable kits" have had lots of issues with pipe fitment, loss of boost, leaks, etc. Check the archives in th forced induction forum for more info. I'm sure you'll see the guys with the Turbo Tech kits are having the least issues.

This isn't to say a skilled individual couldn't do an excellent homehade turbo install, it's just the exception to the rule usually.

~Greg
post #18 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 01:20 PM

Hey turbolx...

The compression on my 95 306 is 10.5 : 1. Would I have any problems running the kit on my car?

I've been thinking about a poweradder, but believe my current setting leaves the compression too high for one.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 01:24 PM

I think with 10.5 compression, you'd be hard pressed for fuel, and you wouldn't see the benefit of running a turbo or 2 as much as you would with a lower C.R. Just a guess, i am learning a hell of a lot right now about doing this to my own car....
post #20 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 03:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
It doesn't hurt that my "demo vehicle" actually shows a product I can deliver either.
ROTFLMFAO!
post #21 of 21 Old 12-19-2001, 04:24 PM

10.5 compression doesn't make it impossible, just impractical. High compression limits the amount of boost you can safely run on pump gas. We've run 12psi on a stock LS1 (10.1:1 static CR) with the right tuning and made 573rwhp and 615rwtq (on the Mustang Dyno!) before. At 10.5:1, I wouldn't want to run much more than 6-7psi or so with a 5.0L with a very conservative tune. If you're planning on running boost, it would be much wiser to dial back to ~9.0:1 and run "normal" boost. You'd be much happier with the results.

Matt... gotta do what ya gotta do, you know... I have a business to run, and I didn't see how promoting an unavailable product helps that business. Simple facts, really.

~Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement