Head Gasket too thick? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Head Gasket too thick?

So, I blew a head gasket a few months ago and I've been saving money to have it replaced as well as get some new head studs. I went with a thicker cometic gasket (0.060") in order to drop my compression ratio down from 10.5:1 to 9.6:1. My question is, could this have been the reason for it to go? Everything else seems fine, so I'm just wondering. I figured the thicker head gasket plus to ARP head studs would be strong enough for 14PSI. Thanks in advance...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Anyone? Noob question that's been answered already? Nobody knows?

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
what exactly happened and do you have pics?

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so over the course of about three month after I got it tuned, the car kept running hotter and hotter and hotter. We kept trying to figure out what it was, wasn't the radiator, wasn't the thermostat(installed a new one). I also had the block check done and the block is also fine. BUT, I had one last test done that showed exhaust in the coolant. Right when all of this started I went to a dyno day, and the tuner said that it was acting like it was "lifting a head". So after it was all said and done, we determined that it needed new head gaskets at the minimum. So now I'm trying to figure out of the head gasket thickness may have cause it to more easily give out. If that's the case, I'll go with the standard thickness gasket and do an E85 conversion...

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Could be a tune issue also.

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I don't follow, how could exhaust in the coolant, lifting heads, and constant high temps/overheating be a tuning issue? Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know. Thanks...

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Biggest issue that causes blown head gaskets is detonation. To much timing, to lean, to low octane for the compression are the main reasons. Your compression is higher than most. Yourrunning pump gas right?

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
I don't follow, how could exhaust in the coolant, lifting heads, and constant high temps/overheating be a tuning issue? Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know. Thanks...
tune being too lean will cause a leaking/blown head gasket. Blown/leaky head gaskets cause exhaust in the coolant, making it run hot.

cometic head gaskets need a really flat surface on both head and block. plus both need a really nice smooth finish

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If you look at engine programs like the Zr1 or 03-04 Cobra you will see that the OE's went to 5 layer HG over adding a thicker core and keeping a 3 layer gasket. I think it's safe to say that compressing a thick, solid core is harder to make flat than a couple of thin layers. To add insult to this if your using a stock block you don't have the block integrity to compress the thick core well.

I always use the .040's and have real good luck, just be mindful that installed correctly the Cometic will live when other parts (pistons) won't. I would advise under 700hp using a composite gasket and letting it be the fuse.

Thanks.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
Biggest issue that causes blown head gaskets is detonation. To much timing, to lean, to low octane for the compression are the main reasons. Your compression is higher than most. Yourrunning pump gas right?
Ok alright, and yes I'm running pump gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher View Post
If you look at engine programs like the Zr1 or 03-04 Cobra you will see that the OE's went to 5 layer HG over adding a thicker core and keeping a 3 layer gasket. I think it's safe to say that compressing a thick, solid core is harder to make flat than a couple of thin layers. To add insult to this if your using a stock block you don't have the block integrity to compress the thick core well.

I always use the .040's and have real good luck, just be mindful that installed correctly the Cometic will live when other parts (pistons) won't. I would advise under 700hp using a composite gasket and letting it be the fuse.

Thanks.
I figured cometic gaskets plus ARP head studs would keep that from happening. Head gaskets can still give out with ARP head studs???

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #11 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've never had luck with cometic gaskets..... What kind of power does the car make? I feel that it could be a tuning issue... Explain a little more about the set up
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
Head gaskets can still give out with ARP head studs???
Yes, nothing is invincable. Guys loose hg's with the best of parts all the time. Like mentioned with your cr,boost, and fuel your playing with fire if the tune up isn't leaving hp on the table or spot on.

Who told you your new c/r with the thicker hg's? Not sure of all the details on your setup but when I ran .060" cometics it dropped mt about .5 (like I said I dont know the cc of your head etc though)

Your sure the math was correct for that? That could play a huge role here also.

Good luck bud

-Chris

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGmf View Post
I've never had luck with cometic gaskets..... What kind of power does the car make? I feel that it could be a tuning issue... Explain a little more about the set up
The car made the numbers in my sig at 13PSI. It's a PI 2V with a hellion single turbo kit. I ordered the block(-15cc dished pistons) for NON-PI heads because I originally only gonna replace the block. While the build was going on, a friend of mine bought my entire motor when his blew up. So it was either send the block back and have different pistons put it, or just order thicker head gaskets to bring the C/R down. I do know that the tune had somewhere near 19 degrees of timing in it, and I've now learned that 2Vs shouldn't have any more than 16, and even that's pushing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jenna View Post
Yes, nothing is invincable. Guys loose hg's with the best of parts all the time. Like mentioned with your cr,boost, and fuel your playing with fire if the tune up isn't leaving hp on the table or spot on.

Who told you your new c/r with the thicker hg's? Not sure of all the details on your setup but when I ran .060" cometics it dropped mt about .5 (like I said I dont know the cc of your head etc though)

Your sure the math was correct for that? That could play a huge role here also.

Good luck bud

-Chris
I had a calculator from some website that made it easy, using the cc of the heads, piston diameter, dish, stroke, etc. With the .036" it was 10.5:1 and with the .060" it was like 9.7:1. Either way, I'm considering using the stock gasket thickness and switching to E85 so I don't have to worry about that being an issue. I have a Glennsperformance 1000HP fuel system with 60lb injetors, what would I need to change to run the corn? Thanks...

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #14 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #15 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
id switch to 80's with teflon lined fuel lines, stainless fuel filters instead of paper, and you should be good to go

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
post #16 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
id switch to 80's with teflon lined fuel lines, stainless fuel filters instead of paper, and you should be good to go
Thanks for the tip! I have a glennsperformance 1000HP fuel system with the teflon lines already, I'll just need to check to see if my fuel filters are stainless or not...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement