Head Gasket too thick? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Head Gasket too thick?

So, I blew a head gasket a few months ago and I've been saving money to have it replaced as well as get some new head studs. I went with a thicker cometic gasket (0.060") in order to drop my compression ratio down from 10.5:1 to 9.6:1. My question is, could this have been the reason for it to go? Everything else seems fine, so I'm just wondering. I figured the thicker head gasket plus to ARP head studs would be strong enough for 14PSI. Thanks in advance...


97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Anyone? Noob question that's been answered already? Nobody knows?


97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (22)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,716
what exactly happened and do you have pics?

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
LS1KILR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Ok, so over the course of about three month after I got it tuned, the car kept running hotter and hotter and hotter. We kept trying to figure out what it was, wasn't the radiator, wasn't the thermostat(installed a new one). I also had the block check done and the block is also fine. BUT, I had one last test done that showed exhaust in the coolant. Right when all of this started I went to a dyno day, and the tuner said that it was acting like it was "lifting a head". So after it was all said and done, we determined that it needed new head gaskets at the minimum. So now I'm trying to figure out of the head gasket thickness may have cause it to more easily give out. If that's the case, I'll go with the standard thickness gasket and do an E85 conversion...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (41)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 3,470
Could be a tune issue also.

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
stangjumper is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
I don't follow, how could exhaust in the coolant, lifting heads, and constant high temps/overheating be a tuning issue? Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know. Thanks...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (41)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 3,470
Biggest issue that causes blown head gaskets is detonation. To much timing, to lean, to low octane for the compression are the main reasons. Your compression is higher than most. Yourrunning pump gas right?

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
stangjumper is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
 
red89coupe's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (31)
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
I don't follow, how could exhaust in the coolant, lifting heads, and constant high temps/overheating be a tuning issue? Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know. Thanks...
tune being too lean will cause a leaking/blown head gasket. Blown/leaky head gaskets cause exhaust in the coolant, making it run hot.




cometic head gaskets need a really flat surface on both head and block. plus both need a really nice smooth finish

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
red89coupe is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered User
 
Jay Meagher's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 429
If you look at engine programs like the Zr1 or 03-04 Cobra you will see that the OE's went to 5 layer HG over adding a thicker core and keeping a 3 layer gasket. I think it's safe to say that compressing a thick, solid core is harder to make flat than a couple of thin layers. To add insult to this if your using a stock block you don't have the block integrity to compress the thick core well.

I always use the .040's and have real good luck, just be mindful that installed correctly the Cometic will live when other parts (pistons) won't. I would advise under 700hp using a composite gasket and letting it be the fuse.

Thanks.
Jay Meagher is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
Biggest issue that causes blown head gaskets is detonation. To much timing, to lean, to low octane for the compression are the main reasons. Your compression is higher than most. Yourrunning pump gas right?
Ok alright, and yes I'm running pump gas...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher View Post
If you look at engine programs like the Zr1 or 03-04 Cobra you will see that the OE's went to 5 layer HG over adding a thicker core and keeping a 3 layer gasket. I think it's safe to say that compressing a thick, solid core is harder to make flat than a couple of thin layers. To add insult to this if your using a stock block you don't have the block integrity to compress the thick core well.

I always use the .040's and have real good luck, just be mindful that installed correctly the Cometic will live when other parts (pistons) won't. I would advise under 700hp using a composite gasket and letting it be the fuse.

Thanks.
I figured cometic gaskets plus ARP head studs would keep that from happening. Head gaskets can still give out with ARP head studs???


97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
 
TonyGmf's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Elkton,md
Posts: 28
I've never had luck with cometic gaskets..... What kind of power does the car make? I feel that it could be a tuning issue... Explain a little more about the set up
TonyGmf is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Formerly eades5.0
 
4Jenna's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (24)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
Head gaskets can still give out with ARP head studs???
Yes, nothing is invincable. Guys loose hg's with the best of parts all the time. Like mentioned with your cr,boost, and fuel your playing with fire if the tune up isn't leaving hp on the table or spot on.

Who told you your new c/r with the thicker hg's? Not sure of all the details on your setup but when I ran .060" cometics it dropped mt about .5 (like I said I dont know the cc of your head etc though)

Your sure the math was correct for that? That could play a huge role here also.

Good luck bud

-Chris

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
4Jenna is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGmf View Post
I've never had luck with cometic gaskets..... What kind of power does the car make? I feel that it could be a tuning issue... Explain a little more about the set up
The car made the numbers in my sig at 13PSI. It's a PI 2V with a hellion single turbo kit. I ordered the block(-15cc dished pistons) for NON-PI heads because I originally only gonna replace the block. While the build was going on, a friend of mine bought my entire motor when his blew up. So it was either send the block back and have different pistons put it, or just order thicker head gaskets to bring the C/R down. I do know that the tune had somewhere near 19 degrees of timing in it, and I've now learned that 2Vs shouldn't have any more than 16, and even that's pushing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jenna View Post
Yes, nothing is invincable. Guys loose hg's with the best of parts all the time. Like mentioned with your cr,boost, and fuel your playing with fire if the tune up isn't leaving hp on the table or spot on.

Who told you your new c/r with the thicker hg's? Not sure of all the details on your setup but when I ran .060" cometics it dropped mt about .5 (like I said I dont know the cc of your head etc though)

Your sure the math was correct for that? That could play a huge role here also.

Good luck bud

-Chris
I had a calculator from some website that made it easy, using the cc of the heads, piston diameter, dish, stroke, etc. With the .036" it was 10.5:1 and with the .060" it was like 9.7:1. Either way, I'm considering using the stock gasket thickness and switching to E85 so I don't have to worry about that being an issue. I have a Glennsperformance 1000HP fuel system with 60lb injetors, what would I need to change to run the corn? Thanks...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Anyone?

97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (22)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,716
id switch to 80's with teflon lined fuel lines, stainless fuel filters instead of paper, and you should be good to go

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
LS1KILR is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
id switch to 80's with teflon lined fuel lines, stainless fuel filters instead of paper, and you should be good to go
Thanks for the tip! I have a glennsperformance 1000HP fuel system with the teflon lines already, I'll just need to check to see if my fuel filters are stainless or not...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Chingus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 4V Naturally Aspirated HP/TQ List tmhutch SVT & DOHC 1057 05-06-2016 09:00 PM
possible blown head gasket? mustanginky GT & SOHC 11 10-03-2011 07:03 PM
Head Gasket work. Suggestion for upgrade.. 97GTStang GT & SOHC 18 08-01-2011 11:11 PM
Head Gasket or Maybe Not? Help/Thoughts?? kcowan 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech 3 04-15-2011 11:25 PM
Copper Head Gasket Info 92fastlx 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech 3 12-19-2001 11:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome