Do I need a catch can? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Do I need a catch can?

This is my question.

Is a catch can necessary? I have baffled sheetmetal valve covers with billet breathers. Both valve covers have one breather. Is this enough not to need a catch can? The engine is a sbf 347 with a 76mm and will make around 700hp @14psi hopefully.

Or should I just do a catch can setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
A catch can is a cleaner setup and will catch the fluid. Since u have breathers On both valve covers u will be fine with crankcase pressure. Only down fall is ur breathers will get nasty and get Coated with oil and the bay will get dirty. So I would just clean them every so often to help try to eliminate that

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

2004 Mustang Sonic Blue - turbo- - MMR 4.75 900
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Depends how much crankcase pressure you will have. You can run it like that and see if it gets oiled up. If its a new motor set up for turbo, you should be fine.
On my set up, I have two breathers and a catch can. No oil on the breathers or the catch can. Only reason I'm using a can is because I had one already from my stock motor.

Built by Lujan Motorsports
Boss 308ci BullseyePower Turbo, ProEfi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (50)
Here is my setup. I think it is over engineered but I think it will work well. I wanted to retain the factory pcv type setup but also relieve excess crankcase pressure while in boost. I used 4 high flow check valves. Made a special adapter where the original pcv valve was in lower intake for that valve and there is one inline in the hose from throttle body to passenger valve cover nipple. And used 8an hoses from both valve covers to catch can. So in theory when the engine is under vacuum it will still suck air from lower intake and passenger valve cover like factory and the check valves at the catch can will be closed to not allow unmetered air into the crankcase. Then as boost starts to build the check valve in lower intake and inline to passenger valve cover nipple will close off and the catch can valves will open to allow pressure out. I think the cracking pressure on the valves I used is .7 psi I believe, its pretty low.

'91 Ranger, 306, 270HR14, Tri-y, RamAir, T5, 3.73, Aeromotive Sys, QH, LM2, Tunerview II, A9L, BE & EA
'89 Mustang coupe, 5.0, AOD, HO cam, 70mm Turbo, 60lb inj, 340lph, 3.27, QH, LC-1, A9P, Tunerview II
'98 Ranger 2WD 5.0, GT40, HO cam, 4R70W, 3.73, QH, SLL4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement