Unatural's DIY build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Formerly known as 20thAniv

Trader Feedback: (13)
Unatural's DIY build

I'm very close to finally getting this thing running again and thought some of you guys might like to see what I've done.

Background: A while back, I took the car to the track and the engine started making a ticking noise that didn't sound very good. I built the engine back in '98 and beat on it for MANY miles since that time, so I really couldn't complain about pulling it out and freshening it up. I had also been wanting to build my own turbo kit for a few years now and figured that since I had the engine out, now would be as good a time as any. I have also wanted to clean up the engine compartment since I got the car 10 years ago, so I decided to have a go at that too. Suddenly this engine rebuild turned into a MUCH bigger project!

Here's a picture of the old Cartech Street Sleeper kit that I had. I had some good results with it, but felt I could do better with a more free flowing design. With this kit, the air came out of the compressor and made two 90* bends right away. The IC was horizontally mounted and I don't think it was getting the best airflow through it as well. Before I put my methanol injection setup on it, I saw IATs of 240* with 18 lbs of boost out of a 60mm turbo. The DP also had a VERY tight bend straight out of the turbine housing, which I'm sure was impeding flow and causing more back pressure.

The new turbo kit is going to consist of this:

66mm turbo built by Supernatural Turbo
A/W intercooler from the boys at RPS
oil scavenge pump that I got from John at RPS
3" aluminum intake piping
50mm JGS BOV
FRPP 1 5/8" headers
2" crossover (I built a 2 1/2" one to start, but after changing a few things, it didn't line up very well anymore, so I remade it in 2")
40mm JGS wastegate
3" DP split to two 2 1/2" pipes through Hooker Max Flow mufflers

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
, KWS Images on FB and IG
https://forums.corral.net/forums/turbochargers/1379238-unaturals-diy-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Here's how the body work turned out. I had never done any kind of paint or body work before. I just decided, what the hell, lets give it a try. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

For body filler, I used Evercoat Rage Xtreme and for paint, I used a color called silver birch metallic from TCP Global. A friend brought over his paint gun, helped me set up the spray pattern, and then I went to town.

Before:

During:

After:

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #3 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Since I had it apart, I decided I wanted to redo the powder coating as well. I have been powder coating little stuff here and there for the last few years, so in overall cost, it wasn't much for me to change everything.

I also built a 2 in 1 methanol tank/catch can and powder coated that as well. Here is the tank and also the water tank for the I/C. The tank will hold 7 gal if it's filled completely to the top.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (30)
That thing is cool, you are doing some great work...

10 sec 2001 Bullitt
5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine - October 2011 Feature Car
post #5 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
looks great

afr 185 heads, dss 331
Turbo build
post #6 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Here are a few pictures of the rest of the exhaust.

And the lower radiator hose that I put together.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #7 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I made this tranny crossmember for it a while back, when I installed the T56, but after driving it, I noticed that it had WAY too much flexibility to it, so I decided to do something different.

I made some new mounts and welded them in place. Now I can use a factory crossmember. It worked out perfect. Everything is nice an solid now.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #8 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I also decided to put some mounts in the back seat so I can put my son's car seat in it. He's 2 1/2 years old and loves my car, so I had to do it.

I used a couple 1 3/4" exhaust clamps with some extra nuts and washers and came up with this.

Here are a few of the latest shots. I finally got it back on the ground and rolled it outside for the first time in a VERY long time.

1quick95 likes this.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #9 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I just looked back through and realized that I didn't show any pictures of my oil return setup. Here is the front bumper I got from Donathan Racing (which fits awesome I might add) and the feed line/return pump.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #10 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the vacuum lines and solenoid for the boost controller. I have an Apexi AVC-R.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #11 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Amazing work!!!
post #12 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (46)
Awesome build and very nice work, but I have to ask...you are not seriously putting your son in the car seat with that crossbar mounted in there, are you?

-Scott
88 GT
Turbocharged Dart 331 & complete resto in the works...
post #13 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It's not going to happen very often, but yes, I am going to put him in there. When I first put the seat in, I was concerned that the bar was going to be way too close to his legs as well, but after he got in the seat, he actually has quite a bit of room. Before he ever takes a ride, there will be some nice thick roll bar padding on it too.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #14 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
This is an awesome and very illustrative build!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #15 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have a LOT more pictures and explanations about all of the work I've done in the link below. I just wanted to show more of the highlights in this one so I didn't bore everyone and take up more space than necessary.

The inconspicuous '91 Mustang turbo build

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #16 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
lots of nice details. good to see such attention to subtle things. I like your build!

AARON
_______
post #17 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Corral Elite Member

I have two words for you. DEAD SEXY!!!!!!

Great work, awesome craftsmanship.

Now I need to tear mine apart and redo it to up the quality of my work. You raced the bar for sure.

Can you tell me which vac line comes from which port on the controller to which section of the W/G?

Also, copper line in the DP goes to what?

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #18 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm hoping to get it fired up here very soon and then I'll be able to play with it again.

The line that is coming out of the turbo that Ts into the solenoid, also goes to the lower port of the WG. The other line coming off of the solenoid goes to the top side of the WG. Is that what you were wondering?

The copper line that is in the DP goes to a pressure gauge that I have inside to car and it will tell me what kind of back pressure I'm seeing. I also have the same line in the crossover pipe so I can measure the back pressure vs boost. It's more there as a learning tool for me to see how efficient my turbo kit design is.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to build my own kit in the first place was because I thought I could make one that is more efficient than my old Cartech kit. The problem I had with that kid was that on the exhaust side, there was a VERY sharp bend coming straight out of the turbine housing and then on the compressor side, there were two, back to back, 90* bends basically straight out of the compressor housing. Any time to make the air change direction that abruptly, it's going to slow it down and put more heat in it.

I saw air temps of 240* at the end of a run when I ran it with 18 lbs of boost before I put my methanol kit on it. After the methanol, it dropped them to 150*. Even though that was a HUGE gain, I know I can have them A LOT lower than that now. So I'm very interested to see how it all works out.

I never was able to get back pressure readings with the old kit, but I'm confident that this kit will be lower than what it was before. If that's the case, then the lower back pressure, coupled with lower IATs SHOULD net me just as much power as I was making before, but at a lower boost level. That's my theory anyway.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #19 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unatural View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping to get it fired up here very soon and then I'll be able to play with it again.

The line that is coming out of the turbo that Ts into the solenoid, also goes to the lower port of the WG. The other line coming off of the solenoid goes to the top side of the WG. Is that what you were wondering?

The copper line that is in the DP goes to a pressure gauge that I have inside to car and it will tell me what kind of back pressure I'm seeing. I also have the same line in the crossover pipe so I can measure the back pressure vs boost. It's more there as a learning tool for me to see how efficient my turbo kit design is.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to build my own kit in the first place was because I thought I could make one that is more efficient than my old Cartech kit. The problem I had with that kid was that on the exhaust side, there was a VERY sharp bend coming straight out of the turbine housing and then on the compressor side, there were two, back to back, 90* bends basically straight out of the compressor housing. Any time to make the air change direction that abruptly, it's going to slow it down and put more heat in it.

I saw air temps of 240* at the end of a run when I ran it with 18 lbs of boost before I put my methanol kit on it. After the methanol, it dropped them to 150*. Even though that was a HUGE gain, I know I can have them A LOT lower than that now. So I'm very interested to see how it all works out.

I never was able to get back pressure readings with the old kit, but I'm confident that this kit will be lower than what it was before. If that's the case, then the lower back pressure, coupled with lower IATs SHOULD net me just as much power as I was making before, but at a lower boost level. That's my theory anyway.
Yes, exactly. I plumbed mine the way the instructions said....I think. Then my tuner looked at it and said "flip those, they are backwards".

I was over at turboforums and the shanthony thread was talking about hooking it up wrong has the (AEM) boost control solenoid clicking. Well mine is clicking with the key on engine off.

Mine ran great until the battery died one night, cause was a short to the alternator. I charged the battery and the car has NOT ran right since. ugh.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #20 of 167 Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the clicking while it's not running issue. I haven't run into that one before. Maybe the solenoid is failing. Have you talked with the company yet?

With the Apexi controllers, the way the lines should be run to the solenoid are with the turbo/lower WG port line going to the NC (normally closed) port on the solenoid and the line to the top of the gate on the other side. That way, the pressure goes to the bottom port of the gate, to help push the valve open once you get into boost, but as long as the boost controller is set to a higher boost level than the spring in the WG, the solenoid will remain open, so the boost will also be going to the top of the gate.

As long as there is boost going to the top of the gate, the gate is going to stay closed and the boost will cont to rise.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #21 of 167 Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (115)
Amazing build. Makes me realize what a hack I am....lol. Let me amend that; not a hack as in crappy work, just not the attention to detail your work shows.
post #22 of 167 Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Beautiful work!

-Chris

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #23 of 167 Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys. It has taken me a long time, but in the end, it's always better to take your time and do it the way you really want, rather than short change yourself and then not be as happy.

Chris, how has your beast been doing? I haven't checked up on it on the turbo site in a long time. I'm hoping one day mine can grow up to have some big boy power like yours!!

So with the help of my son (well he tried anyway), my friend was able to track down one of the gremlins. The car now cranks over when you turn the key to start, but for some reason, I'm not getting any spark signal to the Megasquirt, and I'm also not getting any power to the coil when the key it turned on. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the TFI module, the MSD box, or some other wiring that I'm just not finding.

We didn't have a scope to be able to check the frequency of the wiring at the TFI module, but the wire coming off of it that runs to the MS DOES get power when the engine is cranking. I'm just not getting any RPM reading in Megatune when I'm cranking the engine over. Anybody have any ideas?

Oh yeah, here's a shot of my son trying to do what he could to help me out. In the end, he told me "it's still broken". I was ok with that though.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #24 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I'm on the right track!!

I took the car out with a friend of mine yesterday and we played around a little bit. I really only got on it hard one time, but I made sure to datalog it so I could see what it was doing. It only hit a max of 10 lbs, but the AFR was staying right in the 11.4-11.5 range, so I'm happy. After getting on it 3 or 4 times, my IAT hit a max of 134* while I was in boost and then came right back down to 110* after I let out and cruised for 20 seconds. That was without having the intercooler pump on as well. The outside temp was in the high 80s when I did it.

The one time I got on it hard, I rolled out easy in 1st gear and mashed it to about 3/4 throttle quickly. It blew the tires off of it pretty hard, which it NEVER did before!! Even when I was by myself and it was pushing 18 lbs with the old kit, I could nail it to the floor in 1st gear from a roll and it wouldn't spin the tires. That was without the extra 50+ lbs sitting over the rear axle from the water tank too!! I stayed in it for just a second, put it in 2nd, and hit it hard again, going fairly quickly to full throttle. I know it's been a LONG time since I've driven it, but from what I can recall, it NEVER pulled this hard with 10 lbs of boost!! Especially when I had another person in the car (never mind the extra weight from the water tank!!). Needless to say, I was VERY happy when I got home.

I had my friend get a couple videos with his iPhone so I could at least post up something. When I get a chance, I'll get some better video with my other camera (if I can find the charging cable for it) and my GoPro. Anyway, this gives you a little idea of how it's sounding. In the second video, we only hit 6 lbs of boost, so if it looks slow, it's because it was.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #25 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Wow very cool build! Wish i had the skills to do that on my own
post #26 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't know about skills though. I just made it up as I went along. I had an idea of what I wanted in my head, and I just worked at it until I got it. You just have to take your time and make sure you measure everything up a few times before you make your cuts.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #27 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM

I hate people that have skill's like this....

Yes I'm jealous!
post #28 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Very nice build car looks very nice!!! whats done to the motor?...

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
post #29 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The engine was just freshened up from what it was before. It was bored .020, just to clean up the cylinder walls. Stock crank, stock rods, forged pistons, stock cam and intake (though I did do a little bit of porting on the #1 and #5 runners of the lower just to try to straighten them out a little), and a 65mm TB. The heads are E7s that I did a gasket match port job on the exhaust side, way back in 1998, and had bigger valves put in as well.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #30 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unatural View Post
Thanks. The engine was just freshened up from what it was before. It was bored .020, just to clean up the cylinder walls. Stock crank, stock rods, forged pistons, stock cam and intake (though I did do a little bit of porting on the #1 and #5 runners of the lower just to try to straighten them out a little), and a 65mm TB. The heads are E7s that I did a gasket match port job on the exhaust side, way back in 1998, and had bigger valves put in as well.
Very nice!!!! did you run the car way back before you did this update to it...what did it run...Are you going to try and run this set up to see the difference?....

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
post #31 of 167 Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I ran it a bunch. The very first time I ran it, it was before A LOT of the stuff that is done to it now was even started. I drove it to the track, ran it several times, and drove it home. I ran a best of 11.84 @ 117 that night. That was on 12 lbs of boost with no methanol, no 2 step, and running on the same Nitto DRs I drove on all the time. Here's the video of that run.

Long story short, after that, I put a cage in it and redid everything with the suspension. Ended up running a best of 11.5X on 12 lbs of boost. Then I put the methanol on it, cranked the boost up to 18 lbs, and ran a best of 11.05 @ 127 two passes in a row. If my clutch would have held it, I would have launched with more boost and been able to shift harder. As it was, even granny shifting, the clutch slipped pretty bad when I put it into 3rd and 4th on both runs. Oh well though, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Here are the videos of the two 11.05s.

With my T56, 1st gear is only 2.71, so it makes it harder to get out of the hole than it was with the 3550 I had in it before. That one was a 3.35 1st gear. As long as I'm able to build enough boost on the 2 step, so I can drive through the gear without bogging, I'm hoping to best those ETs by a couple tenths. We'll see though. If all goes well, I'm planning on taking it to the track on the 20th of this month.

Wayne
'91 LX Hatch
Single turbo
post #32 of 167 Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Awesome good luck!!! let us know...There is hope for that 11 second pass in mine then...I also run Meth and 14 psi...i have an AOD tho...

Turbo installed!!!!
post #33 of 167 Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Makes me look at everything I did to mine in the spring and decide I need to do it again lol
Awesome job man!!

96 Cobra: 5.0 swap, T5, On3 67mm BB turbo, Megasquirt, EDIS,
post #34 of 167 Old 11-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Great build and awesome fab skills! That setup looks way better than old one! You want to build me one? lol. Ever get a chance to take it to the track? Kinda curious...

Current rides-
98 BAB cobra
Old rides-
86 FHP coupe, 89 tropical yellow coupe, 90 twilight blue coupe, 83 t-top 4 banger coupe
post #35 of 167 Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Corral Elite Member

Nice work man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement