smokin after turbo install - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
smokin after turbo install

i finally put the turbo on my car and it seems to be smoking. it's a 97 cobra and on3 turbo, 76mm ball bearing. the car is still on jack stands and hasn't been on the road yet. someone told me bad seals in the turbo? it doesn'tlook like heavy oil smoke but i'm kinda pissed. anyone ever have this happen or should i not be worried?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittin cobra View Post
i finally put the turbo on my car and it seems to be smoking. it's a 97 cobra and on3 turbo, 76mm ball bearing. the car is still on jack stands and hasn't been on the road yet. someone told me bad seals in the turbo? it doesn'tlook like heavy oil smoke but i'm kinda pissed. anyone ever have this happen or should i not be worried?
Is it only on the turbo where its smoking? or by the manifolds or where is it smoking? its prob just from your fingers prints and any oil on your hands ect.. also does it have a heat wrap on any of the pipes if so then thats going to cause a little smoke.. My turbo car smoked a little for about a week of driving. Runs like a champ though, also on 3 turbo kit.

1989 Notchback Ls Powered
2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary
post #3 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

the smoke i'm worried about is coming out the exhaust. i know the paint on the headers is burning off and the heat wrap on the down pipe smells but thats normal. i'm new to the turbo cars and it's got me going nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittin cobra View Post
the smoke i'm worried about is coming out the exhaust. i know the paint on the headers is burning off and the heat wrap on the down pipe smells but thats normal. i'm new to the turbo cars and it's got me going nuts.
Dont even worry bud. The manifolds from on3 are deff going to smoke for a week or even two of daily driving. That paint they use will all burn off and look like crap after maybe 30 mins of driving it. The car is going to smoke a little no problem. Just watch your afr's and dont get on it until its tuned in properly. Have fun, youll love the turbo.

1989 Notchback Ls Powered
2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary
post #5 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (59)
has your car been tuned yet? also have you looked inside the turbo exhaust side / intake side and inspected it for oil. as long as the turbo is clocked correctly and you have proper size oil drain line and routed correctly you should be good to go. i know some ball bearing turbos require a restrictor at the turbo oil feed inlet. what brand turbo is it? my car smoked at initial start up for a little while it went away but im running to rich so i put it on pause till i can get it to the tuner sometime next week.

i live for 5.0 mustangs
i have alot of parts for 5.0 mustangs 87-93 pm me if you need something i may have it thanks
post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

it hasn't been tuned yet just a base tune. it's the on3 brand turbo. it is running rich at 10.8 - 11 afr but like i said never been run on the road. i'm doing the rear now and can't wait to take it for a ride. going for a tune in a few weeks but i want to put some street miles on it to see if anything is going to break.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I think your running a little too rich at idle im guessing your seeing 10.8-11.1 while Idle??? WOW you can wash the cylinders down [Gas in the oil],maybe thats why its smoking out the exhaust...Mine did smoke to off the pipes but stopped in a couple days...

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
make sure to check your drain is at least 1/2" line and goes straight into the pan with no kinks or turns....that is a very common issue...also you might want to think about trying a restrictor as well...I've had plenty of issues before with smoking out the exhaust...fixed it with a restrictor at first...eventually I had to add a scavenger pump

'18 Charger Hellcat
95 Cobra - Comp Billet PT8047 DIY Turbo and 340CI A4 Car
Palm Beach Dyno tuned - juuuuuuuust a little over 385RWHP....
RIP - Jerry"BabyLove" Glover ....1952 to 2012...

Last edited by chinopsu; 07-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

what kind of restrictor do i use? i'm new to this so a little lost. yes it is around 10.8-11afr at idle.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
give treadstone performance a call or even power adder solutions

Turbo Oil Restrictor, Journal Bearing- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

Turbo Oil Restrictor, Garrett GT Turbos- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

but you'll need to measure the fitting on your oil inlet.

'18 Charger Hellcat
95 Cobra - Comp Billet PT8047 DIY Turbo and 340CI A4 Car
Palm Beach Dyno tuned - juuuuuuuust a little over 385RWHP....
RIP - Jerry"BabyLove" Glover ....1952 to 2012...
post #11 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (59)
i wont drive my car with out gettin it tuned i dont even like to run it. i didnt go with there base tune. i have a anderson pms series 4 installed and it either runs too rich or to lean with my tune loaded . im going to end up pulling the pms and selling it. i personally dont like it. like 93 gt said be careful you dont wash the motor with the gas in the oil it can happen so fast. i believe the on3 turbo have been restricted by the feed plate but i could be wrong. im running a high volume high pressure pump and have no internal turbo leaks
i know what you mean about putting a few miles on it before you get the tune. i just built a 347 8 5 to 1 compression motor and installed the turbo kit. i wanted to get a few miles of driving to ceet the piston rings before we crank her up on the dyno. it looks like ill be making 2 trips to the tuner. 1 to get the car running in a safe clean area. put at least 1000 miles on it and return to him for the final tune.

i live for 5.0 mustangs
i have alot of parts for 5.0 mustangs 87-93 pm me if you need something i may have it thanks
post #12 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinopsu View Post
give treadstone performance a call or even power adder solutions

Turbo Oil Restrictor, Garrett GT Turbos- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

but you'll need to measure the fitting on your oil inlet.
^ This is the one that I'm using on my On3 76mm Ball Bearing. Also, I had a 1/2" drain hose on it and it wasn't enough, had oil backing up in the turbo and leaking out the side of the turbo and smoking up the exhaust. Went to a 3/4" drain hose and the problem went away. The 1/2" worked fine for my MasterPower T70 journal bearing turbo.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

i don't have a base tune from on3 i had frank at psi make me one. i will check the down pipe for oil and check the oil for signs of gas. i will also order one of those restrictors just to make sure.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Frank is a damn good tuner, and a nice guy. He can fix that up no problem but I'd vote give it some time and a tune to see if it stops
post #15 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

frank is a great tuner. i was amazed when i was at his shop. i watched him dyno a few race cars. i am very impressed by the quality of cars that come out of his shop. i can't wait for it to be done right so i can beat it like it owes me money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement