How much modification is needed when going turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
How much modification is needed when going turbo?

I have a 89 Mustang and I am interested in going turbo. I have been looking at the On3 and the BG kits. My biggest concern is how hard is it to get everyhting to fit. I have a GT convertible that is in very nice condition. If I am going to have to start cutting sections out of my front bumper cover to get the intercooler to fit, or using a hammer to modify shock towers and firewalls I will probably just stick with the same old supercharger route that most take. I like the idea of turbo and that its different than what most are using. If you guys could give me an idea of how these kits fit and what problem you have had while installing the I would appreciate it. I am new to the whole turbo thing but have had superchargers in the past. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM

just call the manufacture and ask them directly. Thats what I did with my bg kit several years ago and I got exactly what I asked for.

BOSS 331, GT4276, High Ports, Manual Trans w/RXT twin disc
post #3 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
The only real fabrication/cutting that I had to do with my On3 kit was with the front fascia to get the intercooler to fit. My car is an LX, however. And there looks to be a ton more room in a GT bumper. Even more so if you don't have A/C like I do.

1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd with 3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If you dont cheap out it wont be problem!!

You get what you pay for.

89 coupe- some parts

best time-11.67
best mph-120.57
best 60 ft-1.63
post #5 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
If you dont cheap out it wont be problem!!

You get what you pay for.
Great! What does that mean? Whats cheaping out?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflow View Post
Great! What does that mean? Whats cheaping out?
Buying cheap kits that are just thrown together by non reputable dealers or manufacturers. I had a B&G Stage 1 kit and it was of the highest quality. Hellion is another good kit. Ive never used On3 stuff before so I cant say about them.

1990 Mustang GT
347ci, Vortech S-Trim 522rwhp / 497rwtq on 8psi
Featured in MM&FF December 2010
post #7 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWILLIAMS View Post
Buying cheap kits that are just thrown together by non reputable dealers or manufacturers. I had a B&G Stage 1 kit and it was of the highest quality. Hellion is another good kit. Ive never used On3 stuff before so I cant say about them.
Thank you. Thats what I am trying to figure out. I have heard really good things about BG kits. Alot of people have the On3 kits it seems but I have not heard much about the quality. I am looking to buy a decent kit if I were to go this route.

A previous poster suggested I call the manufacturers. They want me to buy a kit from them though, and are going to tell me it fits with minimal problems. I am looking for your guys real world experience with how these fit, and what if anything you have had to modify body, or other to get the kit to fit. I want to retain my A/C also. Thanks for the replys so far, and keep them coming.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTICSVT View Post
The only real fabrication/cutting that I had to do with my On3 kit was with the front fascia to get the intercooler to fit. My car is an LX, however. And there looks to be a ton more room in a GT bumper. Even more so if you don't have A/C like I do.
Thank you,

Thats the kind of information I am looking for!
post #9 of 18 Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The quality in the on3 kit isn't horrible but you get what you pay for. I can't say much about the fitment since i'm running the sn95 kit but if you go through on3 get the extra's separately ie: fuel pump, injectors, mass air many people on here have experienced problems that way. As far as the kit is concerned I did more modification to my components than my car, like cutting and re welding flanges for better fitment..
Good luck with your build. oh yea and if you go with on3 order it from jegs.com or something similar not directly.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If you go On3, call Chris at Poweraddersolutions. He will change components if you want and point you in the right direction.
B&G is a great kit also, Brian will tell you what is needed for his kits.
There are companies that are still car guys and not trying to make a quick dollar.

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #11 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I can say Brian is great to deal with. Called him many times.

Also 2002mustanggt about On3 stuff. Awesome guy also.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM

I can be more specific if thats what you need. My B&G kit was very custom tailored to fit 2 very different engines. A stock bottom end/AFR 165 and then an aftermarket everything/Trick Flow High Port combo.

They did an excellent job

My intercooler is an ebay 4in special. I had to trim a little off the bottom of the LX bumper.
They asked me a bunch of questions regarding what parts I would be using so they would know exactly how to route the piping.

2 pic of the same work order in case you can see one better then the other.

here you go

post #13 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflow View Post
Thank you. Thats what I am trying to figure out. I have heard really good things about BG kits. Alot of people have the On3 kits it seems but I have not heard much about the quality. I am looking to buy a decent kit if I were to go this route.

A previous poster suggested I call the manufacturers. They want me to buy a kit from them though, and are going to tell me it fits with minimal problems. I am looking for your guys real world experience with how these fit, and what if anything you have had to modify body, or other to get the kit to fit. I want to retain my A/C also. Thanks for the replys so far, and keep them coming.
The on3 kit has been truly a great kit i havent had one single problem with it. Only mod i even had to do to the whole kit was trim my front bumper, i have an lx though and have seen a few people with lx's and gt's mount the intercooler with out it looking like any mods were made. I have had my turbo kit for i think 4 months now and its still like i pulled it out the box i daily drive mine also. Not a single problem. I would get a boost control though, saves a lot of hassle.

1989 Notchback Ls Powered
2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary
post #14 of 18 Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jr View Post
The on3 kit has been truly a great kit i havent had one single problem with it. Only mod i even had to do to the whole kit was trim my front bumper, i have an lx though and have seen a few people with lx's and gt's mount the intercooler with out it looking like any mods were made. I have had my turbo kit for i think 4 months now and its still like i pulled it out the box i daily drive mine also. Not a single problem. I would get a boost control though, saves a lot of hassle.
When you say boost control.... an electronic one?
post #15 of 18 Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Hallman makes a nice boost controller that is around $100.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED87GT View Post
When you say boost control.... an electronic one?
Correct. I have a aem its a boost gauge which you'll need and have a boost control built into it. Real easy to hook up took me maybe 30 mins. Mine was $250 i think?

1989 Notchback Ls Powered
2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary
post #17 of 18 Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jr View Post
Correct. I have a aem its a boost gauge which you'll need and have a boost control built into it. Real easy to hook up took me maybe 30 mins. Mine was $250 i think?
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have had the on 3 kit for years now.. No real issues except for the flex coupler that I changed and the waste gate flange that broke because of the weight of the waste gate, I welded it and braced it myself.. Fit was great.. I have a stalker nose, and trimmed just a little on my air dam , once again not a big deal.. Overall though no complaints in over 50k miles .. If you want I can send you pics of mine.. Email me if you like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement